It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Had new allergy test--still covered in hives

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-20-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
    hopetofeelwell1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
    Had new allergy test--still covered in hives

Hi all! I've had my allergy testing this week (Mon & Wed) and will have the final reading Friday for the 23 allergen testing(contact) on my back. Here I still sit covered in hives which actually got worse today because the temperature went from the 60's to the 80's today--at least I think that's a good reason for a radical change. I am allergic to hair dye, carba mix, rubber mix, ethylenediamine dihydrochloride, balsam of Peru and another one that I can't pronounce--in other words, perfume, shampoo, shoes, underwear, dyes in clothing and foods, dentures, mattresses, pillows--everything that is a part of my being and what makes it worse is the cross-reaction with foods and medicines. I've been saying for years that I'm like a person in a glass bubble because no matter what I touch or do, hives appear. Is there anyone else out there allergic to just about EVERYTHING and had success with allergy shots, avoidance, etc. and had their allergic reactions improve greatly? That is my dream. I do know a lot of the acid or histamine in my stomach is involved and I'm working on that aspect. Please drop a line and let us all know if success is to be had. Thanks so much--Hopeto--

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2007, 05:40 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Had new allergy test--still covered in hives

Have they tested your for autoimmune antibodies? Allergies in general are an immune response.. when they are doing the things I have seen to you I would be looking into your thyroid and other hormone and immune system managers as a culprit. Antihistamines and steriods will only help so much if you are say having a thyroid storm. Have you had your thyroid tested? TSH, free T3 and free T4, T3 Uptake, Graves and Hashi antibodies (TSI, TRAb, TPOAb, TGAb) General autoimmune antibodies (ANA)? Might be worth checking if they haven't already.

Sincerely,
    MG

PS My allergies started to get worse after the birth of my son.. for no reason my face and eyes would swell shut.. I couldn't tolerate my makeup and perfume and lotions and bath products that I had used for years.. I am allergic to iodine, cobalt, nickle, propylene glycol, formaldehyde, many other non-pronounceables.. so I can sympathize. It took five years to track down my culprit.. my Thyroid. I am in the preliminary staes of Hashimoto's disease and as a result my body attacks my thyroid and the thyroid returns fire. Eventually my throid will die and I will be ble to stabilize it with med's but until then.. i just have to manage the symptoms. It is a comfort to know why my body is at war with itself. I almost wish they would consent to ripping the dang thing out.. but that is not an option until it starts growing on me.

Last edited by mkgb; 09-21-2007 at 05:46 AM.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
    hopetofeelwell1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi MKG! The doctors have been checking my thyroid for the past 18 mos and only once did it show elevated antibodies and a low cortisol. They just won't treat it, although the endo that I've seen says "We'll keep watching it". I look like I either have hypothyroid or Cushing's disease but they won't do a thing. It is so frustrating because I never feel well and I am forever covered in hives. If I have to go to Timbuktu to get help, I will. Hypothyroid runs in my family--both sisters, a niece and a cousin have it. I will be doing a fasting cortisol either Saturday or Monday but I know what the evidence will be--normal. My hematocrit is elevated slightly so when I go to the gp today I will see if she's concerned. Believe me, if there is a test for it, either I've had it or I'll go for it. It's good to know that there are others out there who understand the frustration of this. I wish all the best to those who have this malady. Thanks so much and take care--Hopeto--

Old 09-21-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
    Sannah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hi Hope, yeah, I had that allergy test too on my back that lasted all week. I was allergic to many, many things with it. You know my story, how I dealt with it though...

MKG, that disease that you have sounds autoimmune. Out of control allergies can evolve into autoimmune diseases. Allergies are an immune system out of whack (overactive immune system) and it can continue on until the immune system overreacts to the point of attacking your body too. I am not sure if you have ever heard me discuss LDA but it treats automimmune disease too because allergies and autoimmune are both an overactive immune system.

Last edited by Sannah; 09-21-2007 at 10:40 AM.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:57 PM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Sannah,

Yes. I have Hashimoto's disease. It is the hypothyroid autoimmune disorder where my body is attacking and killing my thyroid. I wish it would finish already.. so I could get on meds and be somewhate normal again.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-24-2007, 10:39 AM   #6
    hopetofeelwell1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi SufferWell! I put the entry on the computer and came up with cholinergic urticaria, but I kind of figured I might have that. I have been on prednisone since early Saturday morning and today I went near my sister-in-law's dog again and even on Prednisone the hives broke through. Also, I put on a pair of shorts that I've had for a year and broke out in those too. The dye in the shorts or the free and clear detergent I was using broke me out along with the dog. The rash I get is like vasculitis. It's so frustrating when you keep trying to go organic and natural and do your best but here we go again. I suppose you can't poison your body for 50 years and think it's going to turn around in a few months. I just keep praying that at some point I might feel human. Thanks so much and take care--Hopeto--

Closed Thread