It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• allergies and dizziness?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-10-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
    mayansun
    (female)

mayansun HB User
    allergies and dizziness?

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone here experiences dizziness as a symptom of allergies? I've been on the headache and inner ear boards as I think my issue may be complex but thought I would check here too.

I have never had allergy tests and don't get the sort of standard symptoms like dry eyes, runny nose etc. I have had in the past episodes that required a short stint using inhalers. Just wondering if perhaps it is worth getting tested for allergies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 07:27 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: allergies and dizziness?

You had allergy tests previous and they were negative or minimal in quantity and intensity? Have you had your eyes checked? Migraine check? Have you had you thyroid checked out? Hypothyroidism, and the AI thyroid disorders Hashimoto's and Graves can cause allergy effects and the like as well. Yes retained chronic ear fluid can be caused by allergies and can cause dizziness. If you are not on an antihistamine and a decongestant. Try an antihistamine like OTC claritin first. Then if this doesn't work to fix the issue try a decongestant. If the antihitamine helps.. allergies.. if not, you should look into another source for your angst.

Sincerely,
    MG

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 10-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
    candirocksgtar
    Inactive
    (female)

candirocksgtar HB User

I get bad dizziness when I get around my allergens.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
    Alexandra321
    (female)

Alexandra321 HB User

Yes I do, I think it's because of the buildup of fluid in my ears.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
    eloise_girl24
    (female)

eloise_girl24 HB User

i get this too. whenever my allergies are the worst i get dizzy spells. i wonder if it's from all the congestion. sometimes its really bad and even when i lay down im spinning. it gets really bad in the Fall when Ragweed is blooming which im very allergic too. i remember years ago before i knew i had allergies wondering why i was dizzy during the fall each year. i love the fall but i cant handle the allergies!!!

Old 10-21-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
    travellikesound
    (female)

travellikesound HB User

Everyday around noon or 1 i get really dizzy, lose my balance and feel like I'm spinning. I start hallucinating. I get nauseous. My head aches and the pressure is so intense it feels like it might explode. My ears ring. My vision gets all blotchy. My brain pretty much shuts off. I feel really foggy. I can hardly carry a conversation. I can't read any small print - including computer screens. My face, hands and ams go numb. I can't drive. I can't walk straight. This lasts about 4 or 5 hours. Then I'm fine. And this happens daily, every year around this time and lasts for about 3 months. Always in the winter.

I went to the doctor a couple years ago to see what was wrong. Surprisingly, they told me it was just allergies. I don't have any normal allergy symptoms. No sneezing. No runny nose. No itching, watery eyes. None of that. I get bad (normal) allergies in the summer every year. So it shocked me to learn that was likely the cause. It seemed so weird that it would affect me no matter where i was. Home, work, in the opposite end of the state. Anywhere. And it happens only for a few hours and always around the same time. What the could I even be allergic to?

They prescribed some allergy medicine and it cleared it up just fine. Zyrtec I think. I tried all the major OTC allergy medications. Nothing even phases it. I no longer have health insurance and can't really afford to pay for both a dr. visit and a prescription so I'm trying to find a non-prescription alternative first.

It sucks. I CANNOT function when i start to feel this way. I can't get any work done. I can't socialize. I can't drive. I can't read. All I can do is lay down or wander around like a zombie for a few hours until it passes. And it comes on pretty suddenly. When it happens while I'm driving I have to just pull over and wait it out or find a ride.I feel so disabled. Then it goes away later that afternoon and I"m fine.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this? I've been browsing through the forum trying to find something. I read a lot of people have some of the symptoms I have described. I saw quite a few people mention chlorotrimeton. Is that something i can just find at a normal grocery store? Anyone found anything else that has helped?

(Sorry that was so long.)

Old 10-22-2007, 07:49 AM   #7
    eloise_girl24
    (female)

eloise_girl24 HB User

hey travel...im sorry this happens to you, i dont really have good advice to give you, i wish i did. my doctor presribed me zyrtec a while ago and i havent been able to get it filled bc it's so darn expensive. (it's $50 a month even with my insurance). so you went to the doctor and explained what was going on and they told you it was allergies? did they do any tests on you to rule out other things? im only asking you this bc i get similar symtoms but during autumn, instead of winter and it's really bad. i get really dizzy, my vision gets weird, etc. etc. if it's really allergies, it gives me some hope. i tend to think on the more dramatic side and convince myself that's its everything in the book. good luck. i hope you find something that can help you.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:33 AM   #8
    travellikesound
    (female)

travellikesound HB User

A couple years ago I went to the doctors for it. They told me it was allergies, but they never did any tests. They gave me zyrtec which worked pretty well. But it's too expensive for me now so I'm looking into my other options.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:44 AM   #9
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Zyrtec is going generic in December.. keep an eye out for citrazine.. the generic name for zyrtec.

SIncerely,
    MG

Old 10-22-2007, 11:46 AM   #10
    travellikesound
    (female)

travellikesound HB User

Oh nice!! thanks!!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:07 PM   #11
    Prtam
    (male)

Prtam HB User

I tend to get horrible allergies during the spring, and have since childhood. When I was young it was just sneezing uncontrollibly and painful itching in eyes, nose, and down the throat. As I got older, they have gotten much worse. I get the painful itching, nasal drip and sneezing still, but now I get the dizziness, too.

One person mentioned being a zombie for several hours. I hear ya. I get the same thing. It's like I'm no longer the same person. I'm sneezing, dizzy, exhausted, zoned out, and all I want to do is sleep. On top of it, my personality changes. Nowadays, I become irritable and have a hair trigger.

Sadly, over the years, each medication, which were Godsends to start, hardly even touch me. I now have to take Clarinex, Singulair, and Astelin. Astelin wroked beautifully for two years. Now, the whole cocktail simply makes the allergies slightly manageable.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 AM   #12
    Amy26
    (female)

Amy26 HB User

I think zyrtec is going over the counter actually. I was at the pharmacy last night and I saw signs next to the claratin saying ZYRTEC COMING SOON! So, I assume you will be able to get it without a prescription soon.

Closed Thread