It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Claritin-D

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-16-2007, 08:58 AM   #1
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User
    Claritin-D

Does anyone know how long one can take Claritin-D safely? I am finding that it is really helping me, but am always concerned about the length of any medication. I have been taking it for about a week and a half and would like to continue. Just not sure if that is wise.

Thanks, glowing4

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 09:22 AM   #2
    Dee2000
    (female)

Dee2000 HB User
    Re: Claritin-D

You shouldn't take Claritin-D longer than 7 days. If longer, you may be simply suffering from allergies and should have allergy testing and possible drops or injections. (the drops have helped me!!)

Otherwise, you will start having reactions of too much of a good thing (pseudoephedrine) meaning, dizzy, blood pressure issues, etc. Believe me, I experienced this and learned. Check with your doctor if you're not better after a week on the OTC meds.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

Claritin in and of itself is safe to take long-term. The "D" part is pseudophedrine. Many people can take it safely long-term, others have problems with elevation of blood pressure from it, it will depend on the individual. I personally like to stick to regular allergy meds (without the D) and take a decongestant as needed. Allergy testing and shots or drops (which aren't available most places) are really only necessary if you have constant year-round allergies. I have year-round allergies and get the shots once a week, but I still have to take a daily allergy medication. If you have only seasonal allergies, Claritin or other allergy meds are what you need.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User

Thank you both very much. I really appreciate your imput and advice.

glowing4

Old 10-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
    Amy26
    (female)

Amy26 HB User

My allergist put me on claratin-d last week... and now I'm having real bad trouble sleeping. Is it because of the claratin? She wanted to do Allegra D but my insurance won't pay for it.

Also, is Allegra-D or Zyrtec-D any better than Claratin-D? Or is it all full of the same stuff?

Old 10-17-2007, 01:43 PM   #6
    Ginger9909
    (female)

Ginger9909 HB User

I have been taking it for over a week and it worked wonders, I think a little too good because Im feeling better than I have in a long time. I do notice I have a loss of appetite and almost working liking an anti-depressent for me, strange but true. Last night was the last straw for me though as I only had one hour of sleep the whole time. I was very wired up from the medication even though I took it 8:00 in the morning. It does feel like Im more upety and faster heartbeat, possibly raising my blood pressure? I have decided to not take it every day as being up all night just isnt worth it when I feel like a dish rag the next day. It was kind of addicting to me maybe because of the pseudoephedrine. I dont think this would be a good long term thing to take. I did take regular Claritin today and didnt have any jittery feelings.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #7
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User

I spoke to my pharmacist today and he suggested taking regular Claritin as apposed to the Claritin D. I did that after lunch and have been very sleepy every since. It might be better to take that before bedtime for me. I do not have any blood pressure issues, but don't want to get any either, so I have decided not to use Claritin D on a regular basis, but rather to use it when I am very congested. I will use the regular Claritin the same way - not in combination though. I am also going to try saline nose spray and see if that helps as well.

glowing4

Old 11-22-2007, 01:16 AM   #8
    laughingman
    (male)

laughingman HB User

The reason you can't sleep is definitly the pseudophedrine which is a stimulant and actually one of the main ingredients they use too make meth which is why you have to ask for it now when you go to the pharmacy. Claritin, Allegra, and Zyrtec are all second generation antihistamines with Zyrtec being the strongest. They are not the same drugs but all belong to the same class.

Closed Thread