It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• becoming allergic to so many things as a adult!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-07-2007, 05:28 PM   #16
    brisson1
    (female)

brisson1 HB User
    Re: becoming allergic to so many things as a adult!!

Hi Mandy,
    Theres a few things that i do to try and help the dog allergy without getting rid of the dogs. I try to keep them off soft furnishings like couches and beds etc and i use one of the new anti allegen freshening sprays on all soft furnishings and carpets everyday. I wash their bedding at least once if not twice a week to get rid of any allergens hanging around.
    I also try to minimise their licking me, and always wash my hands straight away so i dont get it in my eyes etc.
    I brush them everyday outside to get rid of any excess fur and to try to stop it falling in the house.
    I also have an air filter.
    I think these things do help, and also the claritin is a life saver when things are really bad.
    I do hope you can keep your dog, the pleasure mine give me far exceeds the problems i get from the allergies. Mine are both rescue dogs and they have put up with so much during their short lives.

Brisson

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #17
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Nyxie,
    10/24/07 Serum cortisol
    22.9 (4.3-22.4)
    In its normal function, cortisol helps us meet these challenges by converting proteins into energy, releasing glycogen and counteracting inflammation. For a short time, that's okay. But at sustained high levels, cortisol gradually tears your body down.
    Sustained high cortisol levels destroy healthy muscle and bone, slow down healing and normal cell regeneration, co-opt biochemicals needed to make other vital hormones, impair digestion, metabolism and mental function, interfere with healthy endocrine function; and weaken your immune system. Adrenal fatigue may be a factor in many related conditions, including fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism, chronic fatigue syndrome, arthritis, premature menopause and others.

You are just out of range so I do not know how bad this is considered. I am not as familiar with cortisol testing as thyroid.

TSH 1.76 this is heading toward hypoT.
    FT3 2.87 (2.3-4.2) this is a bit low at 44% - optimal is 50-80% if your optimal is 70% then this can affect you.
    FT4 1.19 (.89-1.76) this is also at 44%.. same optimal range applies here.
    The fact that both are almost identical in range is a good thing.. you are not showing conversion issues as a result.

Aldosterone 26H (<21) - upright position
    Did the test Renin as well? Normally they go hand in hand.
    High Aldosterone is also known as aldosteronism or hyperaldosteronism.

Estradiol 30
    Menstruating females: (by day in cycle relative to LH peak)
    Follicular Phase (-12) (11-69)
    Luteinizing Hormone 29.0
    Normally menstruating: Follicular Phase 1.9-12.5
    Progesterone 1.31
    Normal Females: Follicular Phase .15-1.4

Testosterone 37 (<121)

Lipid Panel
    Cholesterol 166 (Desirable <200)
    Triglyceride 66 (Normal <150)
    HDL 42 (Low<40 high>60)
    LDL, Calculated 111 (Optimal <100)

This looks good.

I am thinking you are heading HypoT.. why I can not be sure. I wish i could have been of more help.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 11-08-2007, 06:24 AM   #18
    Nyxie63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

Hi MG!
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate your insight, even if there wasn't a magical answer at the end. Funky, ain't it? Things aren't "quite right", but there isn't a whole lot that's overtly wrong either.

Oddly enough, my cortisol saliva testing back in June showed my levels to be very low. I'm not on anything for that either, other than an OTC supplement (Mil Adregen), which doesn't have any cortisol in it. I hadn't taken it at all before getting the testing done either. My dr didn't order renin (he has a tendency to order incomplete testing). I had a heckuva time just getting him to test the aldosterone. Would love to get a full panel done at one time, including ACTH, ACTH stim test, serum cortisol, aldosterone, sodium, potassium, and renin. *sigh*

The aldosterone test was done at 7:20am and I'd been up for 2 hours at that point. I had also done a 24-hour salt fast prior to the testing. To be honest, I'd been expecting a LOW level, rather than a high one. Maybe the re-test will show something. :P

My doc's retiring at the end of the year and I'm going to be seeing a new doc in the same practice who specializes in hormone-y stuff. Maybe she'll be able to see something. I'm going to ask her to redo my TPO and TgAb testing. Its been over 6 months since the last one. Hopefully, there'll be a clue there.

I was pleasantly surprised about the cholesterol. It'd dropped 20 points since the last time I had it done 2 years ago and the triglycerides are about 1/2 of what they were. HDL and LDL could both use a little improvement, but overall its not bad.

Had the FNA done yesterday. Ugh! At least they only did 2 passes this time. I'm pretty sure its still a benign colloid nodule. Get the results on Friday. Will most likely be getting another one in 6 months anyway.

Thanks again!

Mandy, sorry for hijacking your thread.

Closed Thread