It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Cannot breathe because of cat allergy. Solutions?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
    kbeeveer46
    (male)

kbeeveer46 HB User
    Cannot breathe because of cat allergy. Solutions?

I recently confirmed my suspicion that I am allergic to cats. I get a runny nose and itchy eyes but the one thing that really makes me feel awful is that my throat feels like it has constricted and I feel like I am breathing out of a very tiny straw. Pretend what it feels like after holding your breathe for about a minute and that's what it feels like all the time.

I was able to take Benadryl which got rid of the runny nose and itchy eyes but for the life of me can't figure out how to get my breathing back to normal. At the end of the night my chest hurts because it's worn out from gasping for air for so long.

Does anyone know how to solve my problem? I have seen this symptom on this forum but have not found a good remedy for it.

Thanks for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Cannot breathe because of cat allergy. Solutions?

See about getting zyrtec and Nasonex in combination. Also rinses with Pretz Ph balanced Nasal saline and use of Ponaris Nasal oil before bed and in the morning may give you some added relief.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 11-12-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Have you been tested for asthma?

Old 11-12-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
    kbeeveer46
    (male)

kbeeveer46 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
    Have you been tested for asthma?
    No, I never really had a reason to because I am perfectly fine when not around cats. A friend of mine has had a cat for 19 years and every once in a while my breathing would be affected when I went over there, but nothing really that bad. She recently got a new cat (4 months old) and I went to visit her this past weekend. This is when it really got out of control and knew that it had to be from the cat.

It's been a few days since I've been there and I've felt perfectly fine. I would like to go back but I get so exhausted when the allergies kick in.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It is possible to have asthma triggered only by allergies. I don't have it, but "breathing through a tiny straw" is how many people I know who do have it described an attack. If that's the problem, and it makes you that uncomfortable, you might need to have an inhaler on hand.

Taking allergy medicine like claritin before entering a home of cat might offer some protection.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Try a zyrtec - it's very good for cat allergies. And take it at least an hour or two before getting around any.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #7
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I agree about the allergy-induced asthma. If you continue to have problems breathing while around cats even when on the allergy meds, you might want to discuss with a doctor. They can give you an inhaler which you would only take when your symptoms bother you. Also, there is a medicine called Clarinex that is supposed to help with allergy induced asthma.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:30 AM   #8
    kbeeveer46
    (male)

kbeeveer46 HB User

Thanks for all of your responses.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:23 AM   #9
    kittenfluffies
    (female)

kittenfluffies HB User

Zyrtec is good for cat allergy symptoms but NOT good for allergic asthma symptoms. Try a combination of Zyrtec and Singulair or Clarinex - that should knock out both problems for you.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:25 AM   #10
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Singulair and Advair can help with the asthma side of things in conjunction with the zyrtec. My husband uses both to help control his asthma.

P.S. Get tested for a cat allergy. Sometimes it is not the cats, but if they are indoor and outdoor that which they roll in. In those cases limiting your cats to indoor/outdoor only and bathing them regularly will help. Allergen testing might yield other things you need to avoid as well.

Sincerely,
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 11-29-2007 at 07:28 AM.

Closed Thread