It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• urticaria! help? you can die from it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
    bara81
    (female)

bara81 HB User
    Exclamation urticaria! help? you can die from it?

i am starting to think i have heat urticaria? im pretty sure..because i get hives in the heat or when my body temp is hot.

but,i didnt think it could harm you in any way until i found this? correct me if i am wrong but it says life threatening?!?!

if someone can help expain this to me and urticaria that knows about it,so i'm not sitting here scared out of my mind.

"Preview: Urticaria is one of the most common dermatologic problems seen by primary care physicians and often a source of frustration for patient and physician alike. Pinpointing the cause may be challenging--or impossible--because of the many and varied triggers. Drs Krishnaswamy and Youngberg shed light on this common condition, describing the diagnostic considerations in evaluation of acute and chronic cases and discussing the variety of pharmacologic options available.
    Krishnaswamy G, Youngberg G. Acute and chronic urticaria: challenges and considerations for primary care physicians. Postgrad Med 2001;109(2):107-23

Urticaria affects 15% to 25% of people at some point in their lifetime (1). In some cases, the disorder is relatively mild, recurrent, and frustrating for both the patient and physician. In other cases, it manifests as part of a spectrum of systemic anaphylaxis, which may be life-threatening. The disability and distress caused by urticaria can lead to serious impairment of quality of life, almost comparable to that experienced by patients with cardiovascular disease (1).
    To further complicate the issue, a fairly extensive list of diseases can cause urticaria. Patients often seek medical attention with the hope that a reversible cause can be identified. Therefore, the challenge for the clinician is to try to identify a cause that could lead to a specific treatment or avoidance strategy (2). A carefully taken history, blood tests, cutaneous punch biopsy, and allergy skin testing may provide the clues to specific mechanisms in some cases. Often, however, it is impossible to pinpoint the exact cause. In such cases, judicious use of medications can ameliorate the condition and improve the patient's quality of life.
    This article presents salient, practical, up-to-date information about diagnosis and management of this often frustrating disorder. "

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: urticaria! help? you can die from it?

That's not what the article said. It said, basically, urticaria is an allergic reaction. Anaphylaxis is a life-threatening allergic reaction which usually includes urticaria as one symptom.

To take another example, chest pain can be a symptom of a heart attact, but that's not the only possible cause. Chest pain from, say, accidentally banging your chest into a door, is not life threatening.

Hives which are just hives will not kill you. Hives along with throat swelling, difficulty breathing, and shock can, but that happens very rarely.

If you can't breathe, call 911. Otherwise, don't worry too much.

Closed Thread