It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• very itchy skin, anything to help?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
    xmerkatx
    (female)

xmerkatx HB User
    Red face very itchy skin, anything to help?

I have been suspecting for awhile that I have dermatographic urticaria (skin writing, dermographism) as I have the classic welting after being scratched that follows the scratch line. Also, my skin reacts to warm and hot water in that it turns bright red like a sunburn, and that sometimes gets really itchy before it disappears. And sometimes I wake up with red lines all over my face that match the pillow (this is more amusing than anything).

But now I'm noticing something fairly new, I'm getting really itchy every day without any redness or with random red blotches that don't raise, and it's really painful to scratch the area while it's itchy and scratching makes it worse or get more blotches and some raising. I thought at first that it was merely dry skin, but as soon as I put lotion (Vaseline aloe cool & fresh) on it, the entire area gets this sort of painful stabbing feeling in multiple places, and the itching only gets worse.

Is there anything I can put on it for relief? Does calamine lotion help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
    Cricket11
    (female)

Cricket11 HB User
    Re: very itchy skin, anything to help?

The condition you are describing sounds very much like my eczema. I've had it my whole life. I can't use most of the soaps, detergents and lotions out there. I'm no doctor, but I'll tell you what I do to help prevent it. First, check out everything you put on your skin. You mainly want to check for fragrances added. Try switching over to a hypoallergenic detergent like All free and clear or even a baby detergent like Dreft. If nothing else then put your clothes through an extra rinse cycle to get out any residue left behind. Next check your soaps. Everything from what you shower with to washing dishes. There are gentler options nowadays. Finally, after every shower or bath you take smear on a gentle lotion right after drying off. This is the thing that helps me the most. I can use either unscented Curel or Gold Bond. I know what you mean about the Vaseline one. For any immediate relief try an OTC cream like Cortizone-10. If this doesn't help check with your doctor. I used to use a prescription called Westcort cream that was very helpful in bad cases. I hope this helps and you feel better soon.

Closed Thread