It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Doritos Allergy: Very Severe AND New!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
    Amymc
    (female)

Amymc HB User
    Exclamation Doritos Allergy: Very Severe AND New!

Hi all! Last night I had, literally, 3-4 chips from the Chili, Cheese and Lime flavoured Doritos. Immediatley I developed a very itchy throat and over the next 30 minutes felt like I was breathing through a straw. By the time my husband got me to the hospital, I had an odd type of rash on my neck and chest and my throat was even more swollen. A typical very dangerous allergic reaction! I have never had food allergies before and I have eaten Doritos in the past. Just not since about 2004! I have had nachos, but always the plaine ones from either a restaurant or Tostitos. Last night was a very scarey situation and I am making an appointment with my MD to get an appointment with an Allergist to be tested. I was just curious to know if anyone else has had an "anaphylactic shock" type reaction to Doritos?!? I'm wondering if it is the MSG that is found in the chips as stated on the label. But who's to know?!? Obviously i don't EVER want to have to experience that allergic reaction again and so I want to avoid anything that could potentially cause me a reaction. I do have IBS and I am recovering from anorexia, so I am not really one to go eat a lot of "not so healthy" foods. I was being daring last night much to my dismay!

Any ideas or suggestions/opinions would be grateful. Like I mentioned earlier, I am not allergic to any foods until now, including corn, wheat, yeast, etc.

Thanks,
    Amy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
    Sannah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
    Re: Doritos Allergy: Very Severe AND New!

Hi Amy, how scary for you. There is soy in Doritos plus of course the milk and corn, garlic. I was wondering about the lime. I know folks who have anaphylaxis to peach, kiwi, etc. Maybe it was the mixture of these too? My daughter could eat peanuts (with eczema) but the peanut butter gave her anaphylaxis (was it the mixture with soy?). Anyway, I find it interesting that you have IBS. If my daughter and I wouldn't have found our excellent alternative doc we would have also been diagnosed with that. We had/have food allergies. Our doc sent off stool analysis and we were both found to be quite messed up. Bad bacteria that wasn't supposed to be there, few of the good bacteria that is supposed to be there and yeast overgrowth. My daughter is done with treatment, well and eating everything (she went first). I just finished my treatment for my gut and am feeling so much better. Need a second analysis done now and then I will be ready for another food allergy shot which should turn me right around.

The connection with poor gut flora and food allergies is that your immune system is in your gut. If it isn't healthy your immune system suffers.

Last edited by Sannah; 01-24-2008 at 11:56 AM.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
    mssmurfette
    (female)

mssmurfette HB User

I havent even experienced that and I hope I never do. I want to find out more about the alternative Doctor stuff....if you can.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
    Amymc
    (female)

Amymc HB User
    Question Re: Doritos Allergy: Very Severe AND New!

Thanks for replying so quickly! Yes. It was pretty scarey. The strange thing is, I have eaten soy, corn, limes, etc with no problems before. I like to add pure lime juice to my water. The ER nurses and Doc wonder if it is one of the "chemicals" used in Doritos or the colouring? I'm not sure, but I am absolutely terrified of eating anything that isn't fresh produce. (not good for someone who is trying to recover from an ED.) Could you elaborate on your Alt. Doctor? Is he a Naturopathic Doctor? I did a Candida Cleanes back in the Spring and that worked great for yeast infections which I tended to get a lot of. But, I have been fighting some sort of cold since just about Christmas time. I have an allergy to Bee's and Wasp's and to Sulpha Meds, but nothing as bad as this was. Only hives, etc. So this was definately something new. Plus, it was without a doubt the Doritos that did it. I hadn't eaten anything for about 2 hours (or drank anything) and my throat became insanely itchy immediately after the first couple of chips. I'm looking for any insite people may have as it will be a bit before I get into see an allergist. One more thing...Does anyone know anyone who has had a severe reaction like this and still have a bit of trouble breathing and catching their breath and just feeling really dragged down the next day? Granted, it hasn't been 24 hours for me yet, but I would have thought that the shortness of breath would have gone away by now considering how many drugs they pumped into me at the hospital!!!

Old 01-25-2008, 07:37 AM   #5
    Sannah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hi Amy. Since you had this anaphylaxis do you now carry an antihistamine with you at all times? Did the hospital give you an epipen? If your throat ever feels scratchy again take an antihistamine ASAP. They work in 10 to twenty minutes. Yeah, I thought about you recovering from anorexia and now this.

So you do have problems with yeast overgrowth. I just finished a 3 month program. I was taking 24 doses of "meds" per day (Chinese herb-like meds). One was an anti-yeast called phellostatin, I was taking liquid silver, a mixture with garlic and walnut and some other stuff (Biocidin), Biotonic which is to support the GI tract, digestive enzymes, probiotics. I had to take these things 2 to 3 times per day (adding up to 24 doses total). For a few weeks at the beginning I had to take this concentrated mineral mixture. I also did rectal ozone. The high oxygen levels sterilize out the bad bacteria and promote healing. I did 12 of those treatments, one per week. I felt better after the first treatment. Before I started all of this I was taking Zantac every day along with Tums through out the day. The doc told me that I had esophagitis. It has healed now with this treatment. I don't take any heartburn medication anymore.

You might still have shortness of breath from anxiety. I had quite a bit of that when I was having a lot of problems. Actually, my throat was always a bit constricted until after this treatment. It feels fine now. Thinking about it now, I had esophagitis (inflammation) and maybe this was what the constriction was from. Allergies can cause edema. This is what causes the throat to swell, asthma, runny nose etc. (I actually became allergic/sensitized to these bad bacteria in my gut - they are not supposed to be there). Anyway, the throat constiction made me feel short of breath and then my anxiety about it took it to a higher level. One thing that I read that helped was to hold your breath. This helps you to be less anxious about it (it will decrease the shortness of breath if the anxiety is what is causing it or making it worse).

Our doc has a standard sheet that he uses once you get your stool analysis back. He checks off which of the treatments that you need depending on your results. My daughter had less treatment then I had. We had some of the same meds and some were different.

Our doc is a DO (Doctor of Osteopathy) and he has received a lot of additional homeopathic training mostly in Europe.

Dr. Françios-Guy Doré in Montreal and Dr. Ellie Stein in Calgary are listed as doing the same types of treatment that our doc does.

Last edited by Sannah; 01-25-2008 at 07:48 AM.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
    summerluvr
    (female)

summerluvr HB User

Dorritos are loaded with chemicals.. icluding flavour adgents, colours etc. you may never know what it was that caused the reaction... i would look more towards the artificail / chemical ingreadiants then the whole food corn, tomato type reaction.

You have an allergy to sulpha drugs.. could the dorritos have had a lot of sulphites in them? this could cause the type of reaction you had...

you may want to look up sulphite sensitivity and see if you have this.. not sure if you have other food sensitivities, but things like wine, cheese, dried fruits, coloured dyes.. I think they spray the sulphites as a preservative.. i'm not 100% sure..

i was reading about it trying to figure out what it was for me.. ( i react to meats, pork, smoked turkey etc) turns out i am allergic to Nitrates.. another chemical used in processing food.. (its what gives bacon its tast and pork its colour etc)

Old 01-26-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
    rck213
    (female)

rck213 HB User

I cannot eat most snack foods because they contain sunflower oil or yellow dye 5 and 6 which cause exactly the reaction you describe. Took me several bad reactions to figure it out

Old 01-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
    Amymc
    (female)

Amymc HB User

I do have an Epipen and an Inhaler that I carry with me now. I've been thinking/wondering if the Doritos have Sulpha in them, but I'm unsure of the complete ingredient list. There are so many chemicals in those things that I am worried that I won't figure out what it was so I can avoid it in the future. I've never had a food allergy before, but I do get an upset stomach with some foods like dairy, meats, spices...I have IBS. It was such a horrible feeling when it happened that I am terrified of it happening again. Especially since I don't know what caused it. With any luck the allergy test which I will be having next week, will show what it was. Until that time though, no more foods with chemicals or weird things in them. I've done some breathing exercises the past few days with not much relief. I just feel really winded still and worn down.

Last edited by Amymc; 01-26-2008 at 07:20 PM.

Closed Thread