It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Is it possible to be allergic to metal folding chair?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2008, 05:42 AM   #1
    Rorie
    (female)

Rorie HB User
    Is it possible to be allergic to metal folding chair?

I have had a pretty bad problem for a year and a half now in the external female area. Redness, tenderness, rash, blisterlike at times. I have been to many doctors and the conclusion right now is that it looks like contact dermatitis. Something is irritating my skin.

The dermatologist did a patch test and it showed I was allergic to nickel. Well that discouraged me because I knew nothing nickel or metal was ever exposed to those areas, so I still didn't know what was causing my problem. And nickel didn't seem to bother me in other areas like earrings. I had switched to free and clear laundry detergent, etc. etc. and still had this problem.

I got to realizing this weekend that the very month that I started having irritation was the very month I began to go a group that uses metal folding chairs. Once a week I go there and I always wear a skirt or dress there and sometimes I can feel me "sticking" to the chair because I get kinda hot and sweaty.

Is it possible that somehow even through my underwear, my body is reacting to the nickel in the folding chair? I can hardly believe that all this misery and pain may have been caused by a chair! Can it be? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks! Any other ideas how my nickel allergy could be causing this problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2008, 06:36 AM   #2
    Sisyphus3
    (male)

Sisyphus3 HB User
    Exclamation Re: Is it possible to be allergic to metal folding chair?

Well, when you galvanize metal you use nickel to control the iron-zinc reaction ... but I'm wondering if it isn't that the surface is totally unbreatheable ... isn't the chair painted? Galvanized surfaces take paint very poorly, unless it's special ($$$) paint.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
    Rorie
    (female)

Rorie HB User
    Re: Is it possible to be allergic to metal folding chair?

No, the chairs aren't painted. They are shiny silver looking.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
    hopetofeelwell1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Rorie! YES! It happened to me about 8 years ago during the summer and the chair that I was sitting on--actually two different chairs that I made contact with--one painted, one not--and I had a reaction to the bare metal on one of them and the paint from the other one. Upon allergy testing, I was allergic to nickel, paint, and dyes and I got my answer. I hope this was a little helpful. Take care--Hopeto--

Old 04-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #5
    Rorie
    (female)

Rorie HB User

If you don't mind, Hopeto, please answer this: you said it happened to you... what kind of reaction did you get? Was the reaction only in the areas that contacted the chair?

Old 04-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
    hopetofeelwell1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Rorie! It was like a contact allergen initially around the area where I sat(back of legs, buttocks, behind the knees) and the more I scratched I swear some of faint flecks of metal paint spread and the itch extended. You think you're going to go out of your mind from the itch! I immediately got some soap and water and baking soda to try to calm the itch down.I was at a friend's when this happened and luckily it responded without antihistamines. I usually carry a towel with me now in the car when I have to go anywhere because it could happen again. I've even had this happen to the back of my legs sitting on a sofa cushion because of foam rubber that I'm allergic to! I feel your pain, believe me, and it is no joke to be in that much agony. Let me know how you make out. God bless--Hopeto--

Closed Thread