It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Mind Is Spinning! Just Got Delayed Food Senitivity Results Back!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
    sjs40
    (female)

sjs40 HB User
    Exclamation Mind Is Spinning! Just Got Delayed Food Senitivity Results Back!

Just got my 13 year olds results back for delayed food sensitivities. He's autistic, so I was certain that he'd react to wheat & dairy. I was right.
    I was NOT prepared for the rest however. He can't have yogurt, red beans and peanuts. Surprising, but manageable. Beef, chicken, soy, egg... those surprise me, & they are not as high as a reactant.
    This test was done through a special lab that only certain doctors are familiar with, particularly good nutritionists. My son was tested for 164 foods at IgG & IgA levels.
    Allergists don't test at these levels. He was tested with his allergist years ago, with no food reactants. The nutritionist Dr said that all allergies are food related, and it's only through time that we react to environmental things because it's our body's way of coping with food allergies. So if we eliminate absolutely all 44 reactants, he may not need allergy shots for dust, mites, cats & dog. He may also, over some time, not be autistic & take all the meds he's on!!! That's mind blowing for us.
    What's even harder, is that his Dad is in denial right now, which was the case when my son was diagnosed with autism 11 yrs ago. My husband took a few years to be supportive. Please Lord Get Us Through This New Beginning!

Thanks for reading! Prayers Appreciated.

Mom Of 4 Great Kids

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
    sammi2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User
    Re: Mind Is Spinning! Just Got Delayed Food Senitivity Results Back!

As a person with allergies to almost everything you have my sympathy. It will be hard but you can do it. At one time the only things I could eat were potatoes, carrots, okra. I rotated the days I ate them. I started eating only organically grown foods. The pesticides on the food was making me sick. I felt like I was in a semi coma or brain fog all the time. After starting organics I gradually started feeling better & adding new foods. The dr's told me altho the organic food was "not" sprayed with pesticides to wash everything b/4 I even peeled them. I wash bananas, apples, potatoes etc b/4 peeling. We now grow a lot of our organic vegetables. I wish the best for you & your son.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
    sjs40
    (female)

sjs40 HB User

Hello Sammi2!

Thanks for your reply!
    A few days later it seams more manageable if I can figure out how to substitute Butter & Wheat.

I looked at margarines, and he's allergic to soy & cottonseed.

I haven't found a wheat or soy free bread yet.

For anyone reading this who has wheat and soy allergies, what do you do for bread? Do you make it yourself? I hope it doesn't come to that.

I have bought organic foods for the past year. Interestingly enough, the only produce he's allergic to is cranberry, blueberry & cantaloupe. These three and most starchy legumes (red bean, lima, pea...)

I bought almond butter to substitute peanut butter. He loves it & almonds are one of the most nutritious nuts.

Thanks Again!

Mom of 4 Great Kids

Old 05-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
    Shannatoo
    (female)

Shannatoo HB User

Hello,

I had a similar food allergy test in December and got results similar to your son. I however, was able to reintroduce everything except dairy and soy (and I had a previously diagnosed gluten allergy).

It does get easier, I promise! Millet bread is the best gluten free bread I've tasted to far, it actually tastes like bread! I don't really recommend buying rice flour bread, it is sooo dry and just crumbles when you pick it up. You should be able to find millet bread at a local health food store, or you can even order it online.

Butter/margarine is alot tougher, I'm yet to find one without dairy or soy. I started buying flax seed oil, adding a tiny pinch of salt to it, and freezing it in an old butter container. When frozen, it has the consistency of margarine and tastes decent, plus you're getting some extra omega 3s!

Good Luck!

Shanna

Old 05-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
    sjs40
    (female)

sjs40 HB User

Thank you Shanna for your recommendations. I will definitely search for that bread.

Do you have any ideas for pasta?

Sounds like a neat idea for margarine. Unfortunately allergic to flax too. But I suppose I could try that on another oil, even though it would not be as nutritious. Thankfully he's not allergic to good fish & oils, but I wouldn't want to use that as butter! yuck!

Thanks again.

Susan

Old 05-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Rice noodles are tasty, and maybe olive oil?

Old 05-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
    Shannatoo
    (female)

Shannatoo HB User

Rice pasta and noodles are pretty tasty, and you can get either brown or white rice pasta. Also, I eat a quinoa and corn flour pasta thats pretty good, and quinoa is a grain loaded with protein. Also, being your son is a child, Rice Dream makes a soy and dairy free chocolate "ice cream" that is really really good!

Just some other tips:

- almond meal mixed with some spices makes a nice coating for homemade eggplant or anything else that might need coating
    - sunflower seed butter is another peanut butter alternative that tastes really good and is healthy
    - you might want to invest in some good 'whole food' bars (like Larabars) for times when you are traveling, away from home because they offer some protein and are pretty much allergy-friendly (usually just consist of dates, almonds and a few spices)
    - when baking without gluten, xantham gum is the best ingredient you could use! (it acts as "glue" holding things together, like gluten normally does)
    - don't be afraid to experiment! some stuff you make will taste like paper, but thats how you learn to make stuff the right way!

Also, you said your husband was in denial... When I was diagnosed with my food allergies, my dad was (and still is!) completely in denial. He thinks the allergies are all in my head and that my mom shouldn't make the whole family eat to my diet (but she does and in reality, it really is much healthier that way!) It would be nice to get some support, but it really is completely manageable without it!

Good Luck!

Shanna

Old 05-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
    sjs40
    (female)

sjs40 HB User

Shanna

Thank you again for your advice.
    You're right. We are all healthier for this lifestyle change!

Susan

Old 05-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
    sammi2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

I don't think Ezekiel bread is wheat. It's made from sprouts but double check. spelt bread is tolerable. I use almond butter.

Closed Thread