It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• allergy shots/immunotherapy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-29-2008, 05:25 AM   #1
    shineon2
    (female)

shineon2 HB User
    allergy shots/immunotherapy

Hello All....

Wondering if anyone could share thier experience with allergy shots. I have severe allergies to; cats, mold, dust, dust mites, feathers, and grass (just a little tree). Suffered all my life and finally decided to do something about it... I had my first shot yesterday and woke up this morning feeling like I was hit by a Mack Truck! Tired, weak, headache, joint pain, congested, post nasal - guess you could say many of my allergy symptoms but amplified. Is this a typical response to allergy shots? If so I do not know if I can tolerate feeling this way every week for years! I will contact my doctor later but wanted to see if I could get opinions from others out there. I also have CFS and history of Lyme so my immune system (as many others with allergies) is not very strong to begin with. Will the shots put me over the edge? Becasue most of my allergies are indoor would I be better advised to control my environmnent then get the shots?
    As you can see I am a bit confused and concerned - it does not help that I am on my way out the door for a root canal!!!!!! Many thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
    Re: allergy shots/immunotherapy

Hi Shineon! I have terriable allergies to all those things too. I have been on and off shots for several years. I haven't had any bad feeling with mine except a red mark near the shot site........and sometimes tender to the touch by the site. But not and overall bad feeling. I don't know if that is typical. I would definately tell your doctor. You may be reacting differently to them due to other health conditions. They are injecting you with small doses of what you are allergic to to help you build up an immunity against it. So it could make you feel bad for a little bit. Definately talk to your doctor. I am getting ready to start my shots again today or tomorrow but we may have to hold off because I had a serious reaction to Imodium AD last week when I had the flu and I ended up getting two steriod shots for all the hives, welts and red marks. It was scary. Now I am afraid to eat or drink anything.

You will get it figured out. Just make sure your tell your Doc how you are feeling before they inject you again. Good luck!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
    shineon2
    (female)

shineon2 HB User

Thanks for your response! I will most certainly let my Doc know about it. The odd thing is that I felt this way after I was tested each time I was positive and she thought "maybe" it was me reacting to the small dose of allergen....I was very high on all the indoor ones. I don't want to jump the gun and give up before I even begin. So the shots have worked for you? Maybe it was just timing as grass was very high yesterday and that is one of my allergies and I left my windows open all day and night - I know not smart....

Anyway, because my dist mite allergies are very severe and I recently bought a industrial strength steam cleaner (heats up to 300 degrees) to kill those nasty buggers and have noticed a BIG difference. Also bought special detergent for my bedding to kill the dust mites so that I do not have to wash in hot water every time. Of course have done all the encasing etc....

Thanks again!

Old 05-30-2008, 05:20 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Did you take an antihistamine the morning of your shots? You might try that. I always did it.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:25 AM   #5
    shineon2
    (female)

shineon2 HB User

Hey Titchou.....No I did not. This was my fist one and I did not even think of it - sounds like a good idea. I am two days post shot and feel like I have a cold/ bad allergies. Guess I just dont know if it was the shot or just timing. I am putting a call in to the Dco this morning to see what she says, but thanks for your feedback!
    SO

Old 05-30-2008, 07:00 AM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You should be taking your antihistamines as normal. These shots take at least 6 months and maybe more to show any change in your symptoms. And since you are starting them at the height of allergy season, rather than late fall/early winter when ther are fewer, it may take even longer to show any results.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
    roses4lace
    Veteran
    (female)

roses4lace HB User

When I was taking allergy shots, I had to slowly build up to a full dose. If I forgot a couple of shots, I had to back the dose down, and build up again, or I would trigger my allergies. Don't know how other doctors do it, but definitely tell your allergy doc what happened.

Last edited by roses4lace; 05-30-2008 at 09:24 PM.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:34 AM   #8
    shineon2
    (female)

shineon2 HB User

Yes I did tell her and she feels it is is not the shots causing me to feeling an increase in symptoms. If I still feel sick next week we will skip if I feel okay I will get another shot and moniter how I respond.....Okay we will see....I take Astelin, and Nasonex for my nasal symtoms and took them the day of my shots. She does not have me on any other antihistmine right now as most cause very bad headaches and increase in my migraine auras.

My first dose consisted of two shots for dust mites, feathers, grass, mold and cat. Is it common to get shots for all allergies early on? Thanks for all the feedback!

Old 05-31-2008, 08:04 AM   #9
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Absolutely, the shots always contain all the allergens from day one. You aren't getting that many - only 5. The reason they are divided into more than one shot is that the molecules are different sizes and not all of them will mix together. Sure, sometimes there are more because there are so many allergens but with only 5 that wouldn't be an issue if all the molecules would mix. I was allergic to everything they tested me for so mine had everything in them! They even had to break the grasses down and test for the individual ones.

Hope you get better. Sounds like you are just having normal allergy issues...esp since grass is blooming right now.

Closed Thread