It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Contact Dermatis from Adhesive Allergy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Contact Dermatis from Adhesive Allergy

I currently have a good case of contact dermatis from a Band-Aid allergy. I have been using OTC Hydrocortizone. Any other recommendations for treatment?

For me, trying to find something to cover a wound is like playing a game of Russian Roulette. Sometimes one will work for a while, then I will get an allergic reaction. The pharmacist recommend trying different brands until I find one, but when I do react, the itching drives me crazy. The gauze and paper tape thing just doesn't always work depending on where the wound is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
    Edelweiss
    (female)

Edelweiss HB User
    Re: Contact Dermatis from Adhesive Allergy

For some people cortisone ointment can make the redness/itchiness even worse. Maybe just let nature take its course?

As for future wounds, would a gauze pad work if you just wrapped a small ace bandage loosely around it? (No adhesive) Just a suggestion.

Hope your itchiness subsides soon -- I hate the itchies!

Old 06-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Topical benadryl, and go with a cream rather than an ointment, so says the only doctor ever to make one of my rashes better instead of worse.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I know what you mean! When I had my gallbladder out 3 years ago this was a huge source of discussion. Steri strips that I washed off the next day was what we went with and I had no problems. Only one suggestion other than the paper tape is to move the bandaid in a circular fashion as time goes on so that it doesn't remain in one place very long. It uses a bunch of bandaids but doesn't leave it on long enough to do much damage...sort of going around like the spokes on a wheel.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

So, I have found that I am allergic to 3 brands of bandages and to paper tape. This includes one brand that was previously "safe" for me. I still have the rash from the bandage I had on for 24 hours two weeks ago despite use of hydrocortizone cream and some prescription steroid cream. Ironically, I had to get some stitches in the middle of my back two days ago that also require a bandage. The doctor gave me extra cream to use when I take the bandages off. The raw skin, itchiness and blisters are driving me crazy.

I wish I know why I was developing so many allergies each year that are new. Frustrating isn't it?

Old 06-26-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

3 12 weeks out and I still have a rash from 36 hours with a band-aid on my arm. Even the steroid creams the doctor gave me didn't help alot--well a bit with the itching. Right now, it looks like I will have a rash/scar all summer.

Had to cover some stitches in the middle of my back last week. Never found anything "safe" to use on that. Finally gave up covering them, because the new rash there was getting bad. I decided to take my chances with infection there verses a raging case of contact dermatitis around it from a bandage. Paper tape didn't even work.

Anyone else out there end up with scaring from adhesive allergies?

Closed Thread