It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Bleach and urine?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
    Steven45
    (male)

Steven45 HB UserSteven45 HB User
    Unhappy Bleach and urine?

Hi everyone

I have suffered miserably from chronic sinusitis and allergic rhinitis for many years and a lot of others in my family suffer from allergy-related conditions as well.

Recently, I brought my pet goat into my bedroom for a few days and she completely saturated my carpet with urine and "pellets". After I took her back out to the barn, I spent the next 4 days cleaning my bedroom carpet with first bleach, then vinegar, then baking soda. The smell was still there and it was driving me crazy and so I repeated the process all over again but I still couldn't completely get rid of the smell.

Meanwhile, my allergies/sinuses were getting worse and worse. I'm talking MAJOR sinus pressure, headache, sneezing, waking up with burning/watery eyes, stuffy/drippy nose, pressure and a feeling like my whole head was one big snot-filled balloon. A lot of brain fog and feeling "not quite right" too as well as feeling kind of "out of it". I still feel this way and it's not getting any better so this evening I went out and bought some Benadryl Allergy and headache formula and I'm hoping that will help some.

My question is this: the bleach solution I used was very strong and I know that urine can turn to ammonia and that you should never mix bleach and ammonia together. The floor was very saturated with urine and I used a lot of bleach with I breathed all of this in for several nights in a row while I was sleeping (as I said, this was in my bedroom). I was just wondering if anyone else has had a really bad experience with using bleach to clean urine odors out of their carpet and if it has aggravated their allergies.

I know everyone here will probably be more interested in asking me why I had a goat in my bedroom then answering my questions so before the questions and jokes start rolling in, let me just say that I had no choice in the matter due to an emergency that occurred leaving me with no choice but to bring the goat inside of my bedroom - otherwise I NEVER would have a goat in my bedroom.

Anyway, are bleach and urine a bad idea?. Are they a dangerous combination?. Anyone else share my experience?. I swear, it feels like someone shot whipped cream up my nose with a double-barreled shotgun. That's how stuffy and congested I feel (behind my eyes, bridge of nose, forehead, everywhere!). Thankfully, no green pus or other signs of infection at this time though.

Thanks, Steve

Last edited by Steven45; 07-07-2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
    Lindaru
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lindaru HB User
    Re: Bleach and urine?

This may seem odd, but I have an allergy to bleach (asthmatic reaction) but not to ammonia. I would think the type of ammonia created by pet urine would be different from the kind you buy in conventional cleaners. I was always told that if the shortness of breath I got from being around a cleaner with bleach turned into labored breathing or a feeling of being burned either in my sinuses or throat, to get into the emergency room.

I think what you have is just a very bad reaction but nothing serious. I am not sure how to get the bleach and ammonia smell out of there, and really do not want to suggest any more chemicals at this point, but perhaps something like Lysol spray (we had to use that to kill some mold after our hot water heater leaked)? There may be a number in your telephone book you can call to see how to deal with hazardous materials.

Can you go somewhere else to sleep at night until the smell is gone or resolved?

Let us know how it goes.

Lindaru

Old 07-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
    Steven45
    (male)

Thank you so much for the quick reply .

Its funny but my friend suggested the same thing (Lysol). Lysol is a powerful disinfectant but the "piny" smell - I'm not sure how long it would linger. Do they make an unscented Lysol?. I'm also thinking about trying an enzyme-based odor eliminator like Nature's Miracle which is supposed to "eat" the odor-causing bacteria. Febreze is supposed to contain a doughnut-shaped molecule that "locks up" the odor molecules so they can't escape into the air but your not supposed to use it around birds and I have a pet bird.

- Steve

Last edited by Steven45; 07-07-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
    Lindaru
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lindaru HB User

Not sure if they make unscented Lysol, but if they do not, you can use that and check Oust (odor killer as well) to see if that is safe around pets. I would wait until the Lysol is completely dry, then vacuum before applying an odor eater after it. I do not know if you have any house dust masks, but I would suggest one while you are vacuuming that area to prevent further allergy symptoms. They also make powdered carpet fresheners (I believe Arm And Hammer has one) that might be an option to try. We used those and we had a cat at the time.

Good luck! Hopefully you can get some windows open, too, and that will help a lot.

Lindaru

Old 07-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

Why not try Nature's Miracle? something that neutralizes pet odor?? I used the citrus scent that has oxy clean in it. I'm surprised that you still have carpet... most bleaches are the "ultra" formulation now and if you made it strong.. Do you know anyone with a carpet cleaner? you can put the nature's miracle in the water tank

Old 07-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
    Steven45
    (male)

Dawn dishwashing liquid (a few small drops per pot of water) finally did the trick. I soaked the carpet areas several times, stomped it into the carpet with my feet (so it would penetrate deeply), let it soak down in for over an hour and then sucked it up with a heavy duty wet dry vac.

No more odor!.

- Steve

Old 07-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
    Vedder70
    (male)

Vedder70 HB User

My question is what the heck are you doing with a goat in your bedroom?

Old 07-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
    Steven45
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vedder70 View Post
    My question is what the heck are you doing with a goat in your bedroom?
    Long story (I'd need to write a book or something).

Last edited by Steven45; 07-09-2008 at 12:13 PM.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven45 View Post
    Dawn dishwashing liquid (a few small drops per pot of water) finally did the trick. I soaked the carpet areas several times, stomped it into the carpet with my feet (so it would penetrate deeply), let it soak down in for over an hour and then sucked it up with a heavy duty wet dry vac.

No more odor!.

- Steve

glad that worked.. that would have been my suggestion (although renting a carpet cleaner probably would have saved you the stomping..lol!)
    Definitely skip the bleach next time!! Definitely a bad mix with urine, although the combination wouldn't cause a problem (the fumes from the bleach alone was probably the culpret) it just doesn't get rid of urine smell.
    So the lesson is buy a good enzyme cleaner the next time your goat needs to stay indoors..

Closed Thread