It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Daily antihistamines

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-17-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
    hatesoy
    (female)

hatesoy HB User
    Daily antihistamines

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here takes antihistamines every day? And if so, does it loose effect after a while? My. Dr. told me not too, but I feel like my sinus infections would be MUCH less throughout the year if I did. It seems better than constantly having an infection and being on antibiotics.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User
    Re: Daily antihistamines

did the doctor tell you not to take soemthing every day?

I've taken zyrtec 10mg daily for years. I notice the difference if i do not take it. I know some people or it may have been the norm years ago to alternate allergy meds. You don't hear that much about it anymore.

Irrigation is what is saving me.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

hatesoy-

I've taken loratadine (generic Claritin) every day for more years than I can remember.

I can't imagine why a doctor would tell you not to take them everyday - or at least every day during allergy season - if you struggle with allergies (and sinus infections). For people with chronic allergies they actually should be taken every day to help effectively manage your allergies. If you only take them after you've been exposed your body is already reacting (runny nose, congestion, etc.) and it doesn't take much congestion to produce a sinus infection in someone who's prone to them.

I've read that some people feel that loratadine loses its effectiveness after a while, although I've never felt that. There are enough other alternatives out there that it would be easy to rotate Claritin and Zyrtec to avoid any chance of that happening.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

I didn't have any luck with the Claritin/Loraditine. I tried it when it first came out for a few months. After about 6 hours it started wearing off for me. Zyrtec seems to work the best for me. I do have times when i feel like i need something more.. Lately, i think i'm fighting a infection since i've had more symptoms. I've just upped my irrigation another time or two and added a tiny bit of peroxide.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
    leighsa200
    (female)

leighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB User

I also have taken antihistamines daily for my indoor/outdoor allergies for years. This was recommended to me by my allergist. I have over the years tried different ones, not because they didn't work anymore, but because I didn't like some side effects. I take Allegra daily now, it seems to work the best with the fewest side effects. If you are prone to sinus infections and have allergies, I would definately try to control them to lessen the infections. You could also try shots, which over time may reduce the need for medications. I haven't found that to be true yet, but I'm hopeful. Best of luck!!

Old 07-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Stuff like claritin or Zyrtec works better if you take it every day, prevents histamine from building up in your body and irritation/congestion from building up in sinuses.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
    hatesoy
    (female)

hatesoy HB User

Well, I am so happy to hear this. My Dr. has told me to not take antihistimines every day, but I am going to. I am very allergic. And Im tired of sinus infection after sinus infection... I tried allergy shots. And Im through with them. About 5 yrs worth, and it never went anywhere except out of my pocketbook...

So, as much as I hate to, Im just making my own plan to combat my allergies, and will only go to the Dr. if I need to. Zyrtec is my choice and Im so glad its over the counter now. I have been sick less just since I started buying it and taking it daily. Ragweed season is coming and that will be difficult, Im interested to see how I do after taking these every day...

I have also considered high dose Vit. C therapy, has anyone else tried this for allergies?

Old 07-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #8
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

You might consider adding saline irrigation with a Neti Pot or SinusRinse bottle to your daily allergy management plan - it can really help.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #9
    uno444
    (female)

uno444 HB User

I have been taking zyrtec for at least 5 years daily, Sometimes 5 mg, sometimes 10mg. Have you ever stopped for a few days, really only even one or two days (ran out) and felt very edgy, like you were going to snap and could not sleep good?

Closed Thread