It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• 6 year old/zyrtec/behaviorial issues

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
    campark
    (female)

campark HB User
    6 year old/zyrtec/behaviorial issues

I have a 6 year old son who is allergic to just about everything. I had him on singulair, however after reading the possible side effects of behavior issues (which is had to the extreme) I decided to take him off and his behavioral issues went away. Of course, he is a 6 year old boy who still have issued, but NOTHING like when he was on the medication. We did however start him on zyrtec and he is acting the same way. As anything out there had any experience with zyrtec in children and side effect.

Thanks so much,
    Campark

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User
    Re: 6 year old/zyrtec/behaviorial issues

has he tried claritin? is he just on the plain zyrtec or zyrtec d? some times decongestants can do wonky things in kids. I know the dimetapp purple liquid would give nightmares to some

Old 08-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
    campark
    (female)

campark HB User

It is the chewable zyrtec, not zyrtec d. We did have him on claritan, however the Dr. said zyrtec was better. He is also getting allergy shots weekly.

Thanks for you reply.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:54 PM   #4
    roses4lace
    Veteran
    (female)

roses4lace HB User

If the behavior has come back, it's probably the meds. Take him off for a few days and see if the behavior improves, if it does, ask the doc to try something else. Maybe even half doses. Zyrtec gives me bad dreams. 1/2 of a Zyzal tablet made me so tired I could barely drag myself around the house, and slept all the time, but now he prescribed me basically 1/10 the dose in the liquid and that doesn't seem to cause problems.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:25 AM   #5
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

i know benadryl causes drowsiness, but does he have the same issues with it? or even chlortrimeton?

Last edited by dolysods; 08-13-2008 at 04:26 AM.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
    kittykatt35
    (female)

kittykatt35 HB User

My 4 year old son has been on Zyrtec for pet allergies on and off for a year. We kept noticing severe behavioral changes in him but was told by his dr. that it was just normal preschooler behavior and jealousy due to his baby brother being born. My son was once a very sweet and loving boy until he started Zyrtec. Once we took him off it for awhile his behavior improved some. His allergies have been fine for a few months until last night and so we gave him Zyrtec once again before bedtime. Today was a day from hell with him--the worst ever! So I decided to research the drug more online since a year ago I could not find any harsh side effects listed.

My son exhibited many of these same behaviors. If your child is experiencing these side effects listed as well, I'd advise you to notify his dr. My son is going to see his allergist tomorrow and she is going to get an ear full from me about Zyrtec. Last year when she prescribed it, she assured me it was completely safe for children, even babies took it she said. The only side effect she told me about was the drowsiness and that's why we gave it at bedtime. I hope you can find some other medicine that works for your little one. For my husband and I, we are just going to keep our son off any kind of allergy med for now.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-21-2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 08-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
    sunshinemommy23
    (female)

sunshinemommy23 HB User

My kids have used zyrtec and singulair both, off and on for years, without problems. Both DD's & DS's behavior is horrible right now but I attribute that to their allergies (it's miserable here.)

There are other meds you could try though. DS uses older antihistamine/decongestant combos. He used extendryl for a long time but now uses ryneze (both RX). DD does use zyrtec but benedryl works ok for her, too. Allegra (RX) is also available in a syrup. We also like the alavert dissolvable tabs (OTC). Another good option is a nasal steroid spray. We've been using those for years. According to our allergist, if they need oral antihistamines more than 3 days/week, they should be on a nasal steroid spray. Those are of course RX. DD is also using astelin which is a topical antihistamine (also RX). For eye symptoms, zatidor (OTC) works well. Honestly, there are so many options out there, your allergist should be able to find a combo that works without causing problems.

Last edited by sunshinemommy23; 08-22-2008 at 09:58 AM. Reason: to add RX or OTC references

Closed Thread