It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Rhinitis/Sinitus/Asthma

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
    richard1971
    (male)

richard1971 HB User
    Rhinitis/Sinitus/Asthma

Hi All

Ive got rhinitis and had a sinus infection now for 5 weeks. Ive took ant biotics and i dont think its done much, maybe took the edge off the headaches. Im getting constant postnasal drip to my chest, every single day constantly. The phlem is white and thick. Its causing a dry cough. What i want to know can it possibly turn into asthma? Ive heard some people say yes and pharmacists say no? Is there anything to take for the drip?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
    Re: Rhinitis/Sinitus/Asthma

Richard-

If the phlegm is thick and white you may not have a sinus infection at all. Typically the telltale sign of a sinus infection is green phlegm. The discoloration is what indicates that it's infected.

I know you've posted about some of your symptoms other places but I'm wondering what else you're doing to try to manage this - are you taking antihistamines, irrigating your sinuses and treating any symptoms of acid reflux you have? Those may help you more than the antibiotics.

As for your asthma question, things don't typically "turn into" asthma but your lungs and sinuses are all part of the same system and whatever is irritating your upper respiratory system may have the same effect on your lungs. Both sinusitis and asthma are the result of airways getting inflamed and irritated so they're closely related and tend to go hand in hand.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
    richard1971
    (male)

richard1971 HB User

HI GC
    Well, over the last 8 or so weeks ive taken sudafed, beconase, clarytin (not all at once of course). Every day i have done the steam method with euchalyptus, and the last 3 weeks used neti salts/rinse. The headaches have cleared up, the ears are getting better and so to is the 'wizziness', now im just totally congested, frontal sinuses, my temples are sore, ears still a little crunchy but better, lots of phlem going down my throat which i guess is causing the congested chest? I had a horrible sensation today, here in the Uk we had bad galeforce winds, with halistones, i was out in it and found it took my breath away like when your in a shower? Thats how i know my chest is congested more than ever. Thanks. ps i never got discoloured phlem, only at the very beginning i got a touch of green, but mostly and still is white. (sorry for the gory details)

Last edited by richard1971; 08-12-2008 at 03:32 PM.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:15 AM   #4
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

It sounds like you're doing all of the right stuff to try and clear this up - the only other thing you might try is something for acid reflux - it can also be a cause of post-nasal drip and antibiotics can upset the balance of your digestive system and contribute to acid reflux (which often causes asthma-like symptoms by irritating the lining of the esophagus).

Old 08-13-2008, 09:41 AM   #5
    Ginger9909
    (female)

Ginger9909 HB User

Yes it can all be connected which my doctor pointed out. The drip can go down the stomach and cause nausea. I had a slight infection and was put on antibiotics, Mucinex D (to loosen the phlegm and open up airways), sinus wash, antihistamine spray, Nasonex, Advair, and Prevacid. I also had acid reflux, bad nausea spells for months, post nasal drip, dizziness. As soon as i took all of these things i felt better and no more nausea. My doctor has had me on 2 different antibiotics already and wanted to put me on a 3rd but i didnt as i was going on vacation. It seems the infections clear up a bit but not completely so she wanted to put me on something stronger (Levaquin) which i am scared to take due to side affects.
    I was also able to breath again after doing all of the above. I would say to try the Mucinex D to loosen the plegm (this works great) and the Prevacid for the acid as the above poster mentioned.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
    richard1971
    (male)

richard1971 HB User

Sorry both one thing i didnt mention was indeed theacid reflux which i do suffer especially of a night. Now i watch what i eat and am not a big eater, my last meal been around 6pm, i go to bed about 12pm, but i do get the acid. Are you saying then that the acid could be causing the congestion or the other way round? i will try the stuff you mentioned. Thanks.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:57 AM   #7
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

The acid reflux can cause the congestion and post-nasal drip that you're experiencing, especially in people who have a form of acid reflux called LPR (Laryngopharyngeal Reflux). For people with LPR the acid reaches a little higher to the larynx and gets just high enough to cause an upper respiratory reaction that can cause sinus inflammation, congestion and post-nasal drip.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
    richard1971
    (male)

richard1971 HB User

Thanks Gc. Can you tell me if the pnd goes down to the stomach, was do i get a congested chest? it feels the top of my chest is sore as im coughing, but bringing nothing up?
    Another thing which may sound a bit silly, would you recommend keep taking the beconase even though its giving very little help, should i just stick with it or nothing at all? this constant nose blockage, congested head and chest is driving me mad!

Old 08-15-2008, 03:11 AM   #9
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

The PND does run down toward your stomach but the reason your chest gets congested is most likely the irritation from the acid reflux. Acid reflux is a common cause of asthma-like symptoms because it irritates the lining of your esophagus and the body's reaction to that irritation is to create more mucus to try and coat/protect the irritated area. The sore feeling may actually be an area that has been irritated by the acid reflux.

I'd stick with the Beconase but would focus on getting the acid reflux under control to see if that helps (are you taking any meds for the acid reflux? - usually a couple of weeks on a proton pump inhibitor like Losec will make a big difference in the acid reflux).

Old 08-15-2008, 06:54 AM   #10
    richard1971
    (male)

richard1971 HB User

no i am on nothing for acid but you can bet ill get that sorted in the next day or two. Is that drug you mention OTC? or what otc remedies do you recommend?
    Thanks for your help its been really assuring.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:54 AM   #11
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I'm not sure whether it's available OTC in the U.K. It's called PrilosecOTC here, and I think it's called Losec in the U.K. and it looks like it may be available without a prescription there too (the actual chemical name is Omeprazole).

That would be your best bet, but Zantac is another option. It's not as strong as Losec and has to be take a couple of times a day but it should help. If you can get Losec without a prescription (or a generic version), that would be your best bet.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #12
    richard1971
    (male)

richard1971 HB User

I have taken a quick remedy in gaviston which seems to be working on the acid but i realise this is probably a short term remedy. What i wanted to ask GC ive found a company in the US on the internet of course that does a remedy called sinus-pro, treatments for sinus pressure which i have now and rhinitis treatments. Have you heard of them or recommend them? im thinking of buying a course to see if it works. The sinus headaches i just cannot get rid of. Thanks.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-17-2008 at 08:50 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 08-18-2008, 04:57 AM   #13
    richard1971
    (male)

richard1971 HB User
    Re: richard1971

Very sorry did not realise this.

Closed Thread