It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Astelin??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-21-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
    sunshinemommy23
    (female)

sunshinemommy23 HB User
    Question Astelin??

Hi, I'm new. My DD is 8. She is allergic to trees, grasses, weeds, molds, ragweed, dogs, & dust mites. She has successfully completed allergy shots for cats and is still on shots for everything else. She's also allergic to peanuts and treenuts and has asthma.

Anyway, DD is having a miserable time lately with her allergies. Aside from the shots, she's also on singulair, nasonex, zatidor, and zyrtec. Her doctor just added astelin but did not give me any instructions. Which do we use first, nasonex or astelin? Do we need to wait any length of time between nasal sprays or can we just do one right after the other? Any other information I should know?

TIA!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Astelin??

I am on both Flonase and Astelin. My doctor indicated it didn't make any difference on the order I use them in or how long in between using the two. This seems to be working for me. I would suggest checking with your Pharmacist. They typically give the best advice on thest things. I added the Astelin about 3 years ago so maybe you would get some updated info.

I'm sympathetic for your daughter. I'm on my second round of immunotherapy. I use Allegra, Singulair, Flonase, Astelin, and Zatidor. Refresh tears also help with the scratchiness of the eyes as well. Also saline sprays in the nose to help clear out the junk. I do them seperate from taking the prescriptions though. I also use a good air cleaner and a humidifier (kept clean because of my mold allergies) to help. The air here is way too dry.

I also recommend tissues with aloe (the Plus kind) so the nose isn't so sore.

Last edited by MountainReader; 08-21-2008 at 09:44 PM.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
    sunshinemommy23
    (female)

sunshinemommy23 HB User
    Re: Astelin??

Thanks. We've just been doing it before for now. DH picked up the rx and didn't ask. I'll ask when I see our pharmacist next. You're right, they do seem to know the most! We haven't tried saline drops yet. DH uses the Neil Med sinus rinse kit and I've considered trying it on DD. DD tends to freak out easily though so I'm not sure she'd tolerate it.

Closed Thread