It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Oral Allergy Syndrome

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2008, 03:49 AM   #1
    MA_grl
    (female)

MA_grl HB UserMA_grl HB User
    Oral Allergy Syndrome

I recently started allergy shots for dust mites, pollen and cat. I had a reaction to everything but rabbit at the allergist's office. A few food tests were done and I tested positive for soy. An hour after leaving the doctors though, milk and egg swelled up. Not too severe though. It was mild like the soy.

Okay, yesterday I was around a cat and fell in some golden rod trying to get another cat. I had no problems breaking out with the cat, but I became itchy after falling into the golden rod and began to break out in hives. I ran home to chew some benedryl tablets(takes 20 mins off of the absorption time) and then looked for my epi-pen then booked it to the ER. I usually carry it around everywhere but I forgot it! They gave me steroids and said I did the right thing chewing the benedryl because I did it within the right time to prevent it from getting worse.

Something weird happened this morning though. I had about an hour to go before my next dosage of benedryl(every 6 hours) when I drank some capri sun (splash cooler). I ended up developing an itchy tongue and throat along with some spasming in the front of my neck. Once again, I chewed benedryl even though I wasn't due for it.

I was just reading up online about how people who are sentive to pollen and ragweed can have oral allergies to food. I was also told in the doctor's office that because I am taking the shots, I may be a bit more sensitive to things.

I haven't broken out or experienced such harsh reactions since I became allergic to penicillin. I was wondering if anyone else has such an ordeal and what you do to help yourself get through it? I've never used an epi-pen for a reaction(I've only had two really bad ones that I remember). I'm usually quick to grab benedryl as I have anxiety and panic disorder. The idea of being more jittery during an odd event as such makes me rather nervous.

I've looked into bed coverings to help with dust mites, but they're too expensive. I try to vacuum the bed with the rainbow, which traps stuff(including mites) into a vat of water, and the carpets quite frequently. I don't hang up curtains. My first mistake was going near the ragweed.

Also, does anyone have a good way of testing yourself at home for allergies? I typically scratch my skin slightly with a toothpick(like they did in the office) then I rub whatever I'm testing on the irritated area. It's hard to cut out a lot of foods though. I've looked up that fasting can be good to clear out your system and then slowly reintroducing them. It seems like you need a good week to fast(or have all organic materials minus possible allergens) in order to get the best results. It's very overwhelming some times as it can be a lot of work to avoid so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 04:07 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Oral Allergy Syndrome

Are you on a daily antihistamine? I think if you were taking zyrtec or something else along those lines every day, you'd head off the reactions to ragweed, dustmites, etc until the shots can begin working.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:40 AM   #3
    sunshinemommy23
    (female)

sunshinemommy23 HB User

My DD and DH both have oral allergy syndrome. DH cannot eat any type of melons or cantaloupe or it makes his face flush and his mouth tingle. He also has problems with fresh turkey (not processed turkey though). DD breaks out in a bumpy rash around her mouth if she eats melons/cantaloupes and her enviro allergies are bad. Ragweed is the culprit for that. I'm guessing the capri sun you drank has some melon juice in it.

As far as mattress covers, you can just buy cheap plastic zipper covers for your mattress/boxsprings. They may not be as effective as the allergen covers but they're much better than nothing and much cheaper. Also, make sure you wash all your bedding (incl comforter/quilt & all blankets) weekly in water 130 deg or hotter. I'd also recommend removing all clutter, stuffed animals, etc. from your room as it will cut down on the dust in the room. If you can afford it, a HEPA air purifier in the bedroom helps, too.

Last thing, we always give DD benedryl before her allergy shots to prevent reactions. For her, it works better for acute reactions or allergy shot reactions than zyrtec or the other, newer meds.

Instead of chewing benedryl tablets, you could buy the new benedryl strips. DD has severe nut allergies and we carry these strips along with her epi-jr and inhaler everywhere. The strips dissolve on your tongue.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
    MA_grl
    (female)

MA_grl HB UserMA_grl HB User

I was on a number of allergy medications and even asthma medications because it's allergy triggered. However, I am only on sigular right now. I use rhinecort, advair, albuterol and xopenex. Not to mention I always have benedryl on hand.

I've look around locally for the cheaper versions of the covers, all I can really find are waterproof covers and simple matress protectors. It's hard to find them for full beds and up. They sell more for twin sized for children. I did ask the store specifically if they could order a specific type of covering and the manager asked me to come see him in a week so he can try to find something through his distributor. I thought that was really nice and I hope it works out well.

I did find out that the rainbow vacuum cleaner isn't one recommended to reduce allergens. I guess it's not certified, but it does clean very well and again it traps everything in a vat of water so it doesn't spit anything out through an exhaust.

Stuffed animals are all bagged save for one small teddy bear that has some sort of a beaded-like stuffing. It was made in the early 80's. Never put up curtains. Our washer is old, but we can't afford a new one at the moment. The worst part is that this place is all covered with carpet. So I tend to vacuum a lot! We live in an apt and they are unable to remove the carpet for allergy reasons. Does anyone know of any carpet cleaners or allergen reduces I could use on the carpet? I tried a store brand one that had a lavender scent, but it made me sneeze more than anything so I dismissed the idea.

I guess I'm still new to having so many allergies. I was never this bad before so it seems a bit weird to me. I live in a small town that doesn't offer a lot of different options.

They started the shots because after being on so many medications for server allergies they figured it would help me the best if it takes well to my system. I checked in with my allergist from the new issue I had with the capri sun and he did say it sounded like oral allergy syndrome and to be careful while I am on the shots because they are treating me for pollen. He also suggest freezing or cooking the fruit and veggies as it helps some how with not having a reaction.

Has anyone tried this idea and if so, did it work out well? I haven't had peache cobbler in a while! Lol.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:49 AM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Yes, cooking them will help. And you might try adding zyrtec ($16.47 OTC at WalMart) to your meds. For some people, singulair doesn't help. it did nothing for me. Zyrtec works great for mine (and I sleep with a long haired cat!).

Old 08-25-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
    sunshinemommy23
    (female)

sunshinemommy23 HB User

Cooking the fruit definitely helps because it breaks down some of the enzymes. We haven't tried freezing it but that sounds like a good idea!

I'd also suggest continuing to take an antihistamine daily until your allergies are under control. Singulair works completely different from antihistamines and should not replace an antihistamine. If zyrtec causes drowsiness and your insurance will cover it, I highly recommend allegra 180. There's also a newer antihistamine (RX) only called xyzal. I haven't tried it but am considering asking about it or liquid allegra for my DD. I am not sure but think that xyzal is a more effective form of zyrtec with less side effects (like claritin and clarinex are similiar).

Rhinocort is a weaker nasal steroid spray. My children use nasonex. Nasocort AQ is suppose to be good, as is veramyst. Both are considered the *strongest* nasal steroid sprays.

We have the plastic, zippered covers on our queen sized mattress and boxsprings. I've had them a few years but will see if I can figure out where we got them from. Also, some of the online allergy stores carry allergen powders for the carpet that are stronger than the grocery store types. I've not tried them though so don't know how good they are.

Last thing, it's really not uncommon to need a combo of allergy meds. My DD is currently on zyrtec, nasonex, astelin, singulair, & zatidor and is still miserable (hence wanting to switch her to xyzal or allegra.) She is on allergy shots (started at age 2 and is 8 now). They've helped immensely with her asthma and improved her enviro allergies, too; however, she still struggles during the worst part of the allergy season.

HTH.

Closed Thread