It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Covered in hives!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
    msbuff
    (female)

msbuff HB User
    Unhappy Covered in hives!!!!

I'm covered in hives!!!! And have no idea what they're from??? I've had them since Thursday night & am taking prednisone & benadryl. As soon as the meds wear off, they appear a little worse. When I woke up this morning, I was covered from my neck to my waist. I think they were there because I was sleeping on my stomach & was hot. They're gone now since taking more meds. Does anyone have any idea what I should do??

Should I just drink water & maybe eat some fruit or veggies to try and flush my system??? No food?? The steroids are making me want to constantly eat!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
    Re: Covered in hives!!!!

I had this very thing happen to me back in May. I had taken Imodium AD and broke out in hives and welts everywhere. The doc gave me a steroid shot 2 days in a row and I was on Benadryl for a week straight. Every time the meds wore off the hives reappeared. The doctor told me it had to run its course until it was all out of my system. I had never been through this and it was very scary. It does work out but takes time. My guess is that you ingested something you were really allergic to. Eithor a food or med. Can you think of what it might be? Let us know! Hang in there!

Last edited by TEdds83; 08-24-2008 at 05:07 PM.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
    sunshinemommy23
    (female)

sunshinemommy23 HB User

I second the guess that you probably ate something you're allergic to (or ate something that's been cross-contaminated by something you're allergic to.) Two other thoughts. You could have developed an allergy to NSAIDs. This happened to my coworker at the age of 40! Since avoiding all NSAIDs, he's had no more hives. The last thought is that you could have developed chronic uticaria.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
    msbuff
    (female)

msbuff HB User

Thanks for the replies!! I stayed home from work today to rest & I'm going to try to get an appt. to see an allergist ASAP. I had more hives last night on my neck, chest and legs but they were gone when I woke up this morning. I'm supposed to take prednisone for 6 more days. I hate taking it! It makes me feel moody and all I want to do is EAT!!!!!!

After reading some other posts on this website, I'm wondering if this could be from eating WW yogurt or possibly my hormones since my cycle has been off for a few months. My dr. wants me to take prog. pills for one week a month for 4 months to get my cycle back on track but told me to not start them until I get the hives under control.

I feel bad for everyone else that has gone through this same thing... how scary this has been!!

Closed Thread