It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Asthma attack after first round of allergy shots

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
    shelovescliche
    (female)

shelovescliche HB User
    Asthma attack after first round of allergy shots

I got my first round of allergy shots today (4 in all), and I was fine for about 30 minutes afterward. It was only when we were going out the door that the attack started (excessive coughing, tightness in chest and throat, hard to breathe). My O2 levels were fine, but the spirometer test was really bad (the highest value was 80% of what it should be, the lowest was about 31%). They ended up having to hook me up to this machine (I'm not really sure what it's called) that helped me breathe, and eventually the symptoms got back into the bearable range.

The doctor said that he didn't think I should continue the shots until I got my asthma fully under control. I'd just been diagnosed with asthma about three weeks ago, and I've been on symbicort twice a day every day, along with allergy meds, since the allergies are what caused the asthma. The doctor said that, even though with the new treatment my asthma isn't as bad, it's not under control enough to risk another round of allergy shots yet.

I haven't had a rescue inhaler, which might be part of the problem--I've still had coughing fits sometimes, but haven't been able to take anything for them. I'm hoping that once I see my regular allergist, after he switches the dosage around it'll be controlled enough for the shots.

Has anyone with asthma had this sort of trouble with allergy shots? If so, were you able to eventually start allergy shots up again?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread