It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Just got test back for delayed response - sunflower? Anyone know more about it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-19-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
    suzgrant
    (female)

suzgrant HB User
    Unhappy Just got test back for delayed response - sunflower? Anyone know more about it?

Hi - new here in a desperate attempt to understand my delayed response, allergy results. Apparently I'm severely allergic to dairy and sunflower. Moderately to almonds, beef and cashews. AND.. more mildly to rice and eggs! On top of that I have a wheat allergy (immediate reaction)

Apparently it is affecting the health of my gut. Does anyone know more about the sunflower allergy? Does airborne count too here? I'm confused

Thanks!
    Suzanne

Last edited by suzgrant; 09-19-2008 at 05:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2008, 02:09 AM   #2
    JaseKisses
    (male)

JaseKisses HB User
    Re: Just got test back for delayed response - sunflower? Anyone know more about it?

hey.. Im allergic to Sunflower, and shellfish.. i know how you feel.
    from what i've had sunflower is just through digestion.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
    java junkie
    (male)

java junkie HB User
    Re: Just got test back for delayed response - sunflower? Anyone know more about it?

Well, I'm not allergic to sunflower but it took me years to realize I had a wheat allergy. I learned a lot about leaky gut and how it can effect just about everything in your body and how not being aware of the ingestion of wheat (or anything else you may be allergic to) when you have an allergy to it can make a real mess of your gut and cause a lot of inflammation in your body. A good place for info on leaky gut is Think-Rite system. Don't know if you have any acid reflux but I sure did ....It was awful. Now its gone thank God!

Old 10-31-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
    mom2bellla
    (female)

mom2bellla HB User

My daughter Bella has an allergy to Sunflower Oil, seed, anything. We haven't taken any tests yet, she's only 22 months old. We figured it out when she was 6 months by switching from Gerber rice (which has soy) to Beechnut (with sunflower). I would love to know more from anyone and everyone. She has severe reflux from sunflower. I'm wondering how everyone else deals with it. So many junk foods have it, we are eating better as a family. That's always good. I would love advise from adults with the allergy too. Good luck to everyone with this. I know it is difficult as a parent.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
    Greenjuice
    (male)

Greenjuice HB User

Not much help other than I too am allergic to sunflower. I cut out all products with sunflower seeds (along with sesame seeds) and less mucous now. My head swells like a puffy balloon with those. Read the labels..it will help

Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
    EricInWPB
    (male)

EricInWPB HB User

Sorry - I know this thread is dated, but I thought I'd reply for the other people with a Sunflower Allergy. I have no food allergies whatsoever, until I rapidly developed a anaphylactic reaction to sunflowers. I recall I had eaten a normal Quaker Chewy bar which had some sort of gel inside the wrapper, that in retrospect, likely shouldn't have been there...perhaps some preservative that had leaked during the assembly line manufacturing. In any case symptoms of that included a very immediate upset stomach, acrid taste in my mouth and a tongue which started to swell. I discarded the bar and chalked it up to a bad bar (wish I had kept it now for an analysis by a lab). Within weeks, any exposure to sunflower seeds (which I'd previously been able to eat) resulted in a very cramped stomach, burning/acrid tongue and usual violent vomitting within 5 minutes of eating the seeds. Benadryl would make me feel better. Still not having identified the main culprit, it came to a head when, while out during a night hike, I bit into a friend's 95% Sunflower natural energy bar (forget the brand). My Anaphylactic reaction was slow to progress luckily (puked a few times), ended up in the ER with a swollen tongue/throat, a voice that sounded like it was 4 octaves too low, and they treated me with liquid benadryl and (I believe) they injected me with epi-pen stuff as well. I now carry (or am supposed to carry) my epi-pen. I still have no other food allergies, and can even eat sunflower oil containing products....I assume the heating process denatures the protein enough that my body does not react to it. I have testing myself over the last 5 years, and can eat pumpkin seeds, flax, poppy and sesame seeds. I can't explain it, except to think back to that very memorable bad granola bar with the mysterious gel inside the wrapper that seemed to start everything rolling. - Good luck. Eric.

Closed Thread