It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Extrememly allergic to chocolate, cakes, biscuits & icecream

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
    camilla9
    (female)

camilla9 HB User
    Unhappy Extrememly allergic to chocolate, cakes, biscuits & icecream

IS there anyone else out there that has the same problem? At age 18 (Im 41
    now) I developed this problem whereby an hour or 2 after after eating any of the above foods
    -my fingers swell up
    -my eyes get extermely red and itchy
    -I sneeze a lot
    -lips swell and face and upper arms very itchy, and rest of body itchy
    -I became extremely tired- would leave work at 5 pm - be in bed at 6pm and sleep till 8am ..wake up with conjuctivitis, swollen lips all next day, extreme saliva build up all day long, sneezing all day, extremely cranky, itchy everywhere..extremely tired..and back in bed at 6 pm...no appetite -go to bed no food that day..

I do understand that these particular foods must be triggering/releasing massive histamines hence the sneezing etc

And I have been diagnosed as extrememly hypoglycaemic (hence the tiredness)..so maybe I've just landed a double-wamy in the illness stakes.. but what am I allergic to?

sugar? no- as I can eat jelly, soft lollies, licorice, alcohol ( and cream in cocktails)

flour? no-as I have no problem with bread, pizza, etc

dairy? no- as I can drink milk, youghurt, custard (which is sugar packed!) etc

The obvious solution is just avoid these foods-which I can generally, but I have a big sweet tooth, and occasionally (maybe once a month) when I sucumb to temptation its so bad Ive had to take days off work sometime- not been good for my career.. ( and im not talking devouring huge amounts of sweets- I could eat salad all day long then at 9pm have one chocolate bar, and I would be sick/sneezing/itchy, tired etc all the next day)

...and so much of our world revolves around chocolate and sweet things i.e. easter is a nightmare (my willpower is only so strong), and I dont really like xmas or birthdays as there is always cake around or chocolates given to me as presents.. ( and rather than bore people with my strange dietary issues I just accept them- 99% of the time I chuck them in the rubbish IMMEDIATELY, the other 1% - are eaten)

Is there any help-other than avoiding these foods? (or is there some commone thread/preservative in these 4 foods thast triggering the above)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
    flickfire
    (male)

flickfire HB User
    Re: Extrememly allergic to chocolate, cakes, biscuits & icecream

Hi Camilla,

I'm sorry to hear about all your allergy struggles. Have you been to an allergist to find out exactly which foods you're allergic to? Being tested might help you to know specifically what foods to avoid.

I understand your sweet tooth issue, but trust me, as person who has numerous food allergies himself, it is FAR better to stay away from those foods that cause you trouble, rather than to satisfy your craving, because as you well know, if you keep eating those foods that taste good, but that you react to, your reactions will keep getting worse and worse. Maybe even to the point where you might end up the hospital.

Avoiding problem foods is much easier than dealing with life threatening anaphylaxis, and it sounds like you already suffered from a mild case of it. Just stay way from the foods that bother you. Eating foods with all that sugar in them isn't good for you anyway. Try eating more fruits and vegetables, and you might just feel better.

Last edited by flickfire; 05-17-2009 at 07:16 AM.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Have you tried taking an antihistamine before eating one of these foods? Just wondering....

And testing is a really good recommendation to sort this out.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
    summerluvr
    (female)

summerluvr HB User

I am allergic to eggs. So eggs are in cakes, cookies, some ice cream etc. If you figure out the ingrediant you are allergic too you should be able to find stuff without it in the mix. (ie. I make egg free muffins, pancakes etc.)

Old 05-23-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
    asdfjklqwerty
    (male)

asdfjklqwerty HB User

I hear you. You could try one of those treatments where they slowly get your body used the stuff you're allergic to. Honestly, I haven't tried it but if you try it, I would want to know how it went. If you haven't already been prescribed the pen, then I would just avoid the foods if I were you. When you have to carry it around, that's when life really sucks.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
    liveto100
    (male)

liveto100 HB User

you are not alone camilla9 but I have no answers, try as I have to figure it out. Cakes ... an automatic sneeze when I take the first bite. Many sugary products ... same deal. Frying sugar-cured bacon ...SNEEZES. But I can eat a spoonful of plain sugar and nothing happens. Put sugar in my coffee ... an obligatory sneeze. Chocolate syrup on ice cream ... my throat starts to close up and I have to wash down with water or risk choking.

I'm convinced it's not the sugar but something in it that gets released in cooking.

Well, I'm 62 and have been skinny most of my life because I usually refuse to eat cakes and pastry and many other sweets. So there's been a silver lining to that allergy. Not so with many other allergies and asthma but the sweet one has probably been a blessing in disguise.

I take many routine meds to control allergies and asthma but nothing has an impact on my reactions to sweets. So I'm clueless. Just don't eat them and stay healthier.

Closed Thread