It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Mold/Mildew Allergy????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2009, 06:21 AM   #1
    kcf71
    (female)

kcf71 HB User
    Mold/Mildew Allergy????

Hello there,

I am wondering if I'm experiencing a mold or mildew allergy. As I child I was tested and was found to be allergic to both. I'm now 37 and I think my current symptoms might be a result of this allergy. My husband and I moved into a new apartment the end of February. Within a month, I was experienced VERY itchy eyes (primarily the left eye) and itch, dry skin around my lips. I went to the eye doc who thought it was pink eye (it wasn't) and went through a series of drops...none of which provided long-term relief. The diagnosis now is that my eye doc thinks it's allergy and recommended taking an antihistamine and allergy eye drops. I just started both today and things are at bay but it's just a band-aid to the problem. My question is: could this be a mold or mildew allergy?? I'm wondering because it started only a month after we moved and our apartment is over top an overpacked, dry, most likely mold-filled garage (I'm guessing about the mold). I don't know what else it could be. I haven't changed any of the products I used on my face and replaced all my makeup with new stuff (same brand, just new purchases).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. It's driving me nuts and making me miserable, not to mention it's unsightly to have red, water eyes 24/7.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
    Re: Mold/Mildew Allergy????

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcf71 View Post
    Hello there,

I am wondering if I'm experiencing a mold or mildew allergy. As I child I was tested and was found to be allergic to both. I'm now 37 and I think my current symptoms might be a result of this allergy. My husband and I moved into a new apartment the end of February. Within a month, I was experienced VERY itchy eyes (primarily the left eye) and itch, dry skin around my lips. I went to the eye doc who thought it was pink eye (it wasn't) and went through a series of drops...none of which provided long-term relief. The diagnosis now is that my eye doc thinks it's allergy and recommended taking an antihistamine and allergy eye drops. I just started both today and things are at bay but it's just a band-aid to the problem. My question is: could this be a mold or mildew allergy?? I'm wondering because it started only a month after we moved and our apartment is over top an overpacked, dry, most likely mold-filled garage (I'm guessing about the mold). I don't know what else it could be. I haven't changed any of the products I used on my face and replaced all my makeup with new stuff (same brand, just new purchases).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. It's driving me nuts and making me miserable, not to mention it's unsightly to have red, water eyes 24/7.

Thanks
    The symptoms you are experiencing could very well be attributed to a mold allergy.

I'm allergic to mold as well and I also have itchy eyes as well as sneezing, coughing, congestion/runny nose, difficulty breathing/asthma and headache.
    Prozac 40mg
    Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
    Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 11-29-2010, 05:20 AM   #3
    anneevam
    (female)

anneevam HB User
    Re: Mold/Mildew Allergy????

Oreck has a great air filter. It is pricey but worth it. My husband also has severe allergies and I have one in every room. I also travel with it! Your apartment is the culprit. If you aren't going to move then get the air filter . Nikken, Oreck both have great ones but the Oreck one doesn't require purchasing filters all the time. Good luck to you.

Closed Thread