It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Prescribed Prednisone, Told to Stop Abruptly

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
    grandboy46
    (male)

grandboy46 HB User
    Prescribed Prednisone, Told to Stop Abruptly

I have acute sinus congestion due to allergies, to the point where I can't breathe through my nose. I have pain all over my face--exploding pressure in nose, fullness in ears, exploding chest pain and feeling of knots, throat pain, everything you'd expect. I was told by my ENT that my sinuses are so inflamed that the mucus cannot drain. I was prescribed prednisone 30 mg for 3 days, 20 mg for 3 days and 10 mg for 3 days. It has been 2 days of 30 mg and the first 10 mg dose of the 3rd day, and I feel awful. No relief from the inflammation, in fact I feel worse, and I feel aches and all kind of pains and warmth all over. No decongestants or allergy medication has helped me, ever. My ENT told me to stop the prednisone right now. Is this safe? Should I be weaned off or have I not been on it long enough?

Thanks for the help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
    Re: Prescribed Prednisone, Told to Stop Abruptly

You haven't been on it long enough (or at a high enough dose) to need to be tapered off the prednisone.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I am no dr. but have had my share of allergy problems. There are injections that can be given for someone who is suffering like you, although they should not be given often, they can bring on instant relief. The injection will work MUCH faster than the drug you mentioned. The injection that I have had has been Kenalog; am not sure of the spelling.

Good luck and once things settle down, it may be a good idea to see an allergist.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Kenalog is a steroid also. I've done steroids thru injections and via pill form for allergic reactions. Both send my blood pressure up but the injection also keeps me wound up like an 8 day alarm clock. Due to the extreme reactions, I try to avoid having to use steroids. Sometimes it's tough to gut out an allergic reaction - like to a bee sting - but I'd rather try if I can.

Closed Thread