It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Skin ***** test vs. blood test?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
    Zoe26
    (female)

Zoe26 HB User
    Skin ***** test vs. blood test?

Is a blood test for allergies as accurate as doing the skin test? I've coincidentally gotten very ill after doing the skin tests and no longer want to take the chance. Is is even possible for the skin test to make you sick? Because my allergist says it's not possible, but twice I've happened to get sick after doing them. I want to only do a blood test now to test for food allergies and environmental allergies, but is it as accurate? Thanks for any info.

Last edited by Zoe26; 11-10-2009 at 01:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Skin ***** test vs. blood test?

Typically speaking, and I'm sure some will disagree, the blood test is best for food allergies and the scratch test for environmental ones.

How long has it been since your last scratch test? And have you moved since? Did you take the injections after the testing? or show a need for them even?

Old 11-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
    Coldwarrior
    (male)

Coldwarrior HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoe26 View Post
    Is a blood test for allergies as accurate as doing the skin test? I've coincidentally gotten very ill after doing the skin tests and no longer want to take the chance. Is is even possible for the skin test to make you sick? Because my allergist says it's not possible, but twice I've happened to get sick after doing them. I want to only do a blood test now to test for food allergies and environmental allergies, but is it as accurate? Thanks for any info.
    I had both. The blood test told me I wasn't allergic to dogs which was a great relief.
    The T.R.U.E. patch test (No scratching or pin *****) tested 29 different chemical or metal allergies. I did not have a test for food allergies. I know I am allergic to fresh tomatoes.
    My tests showed 4 different allergies. Nickel, Caine Mix (Benzocaine, Lanocaine, Cocaine etc.) Colophony (Wood resins) I have severe contact dermatitus to pine etc. requiring Prednizol, injection and pills)
    Personally, I doubt you got sick from the tests. Maybe from another sick person in the waiting room. Take a couple grams of Vitimin C before you go next time. I picked up a cold sore at the doctors office. VC and ethel alcohol swabbed on for an hour took care of that. The doctors office was the only place I could have gotten the cold sore virus, I don't go out much.
    Ask about the TRUE patch test. It sticks on like a piece of tape. No showers for 4 days and it might itch but that's the worst of it.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
    Zoe26
    (female)

Zoe26 HB User

I wouldn't do the patch test because not showering for 4 days is a no-no and I don't want anymore interaction with my skin. I obviously get bad reactions from it because I've done them twice and both times got very ill that night. There has to be a connection there. I don't think I caught anything in the empty waiting room.

I guess my only option is to try blood tests again. I just wanted to know if they were accurate or gave false negatives or positives often. Thanks.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

My dermatologist told me I could test myself for allergies by taping a piece of whatever to the inside of my upper arm and leave 24 hrs (do not get wet). I have not tried this, however, I believe it would work. I am sensitive to tape and I know in just a few minutes my skin is purple/red and stays that way for weeks before it clears.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
    intrepidlady
    (female)

intrepidlady HB User

I went to a reputable ENT doctor. His clinic offers allergy skin testing (in many differents strengths), [The nurse starts lower and works upward]
    He also offers allergy drops, which I cannot say enough about them so far.
    I have started on my second vial. My health and allergies has drastically improved in 3-6 months. (I almost got the expensive food allergy testing done- $2,000-but don't feel it is necessary anymore)
    Allergy drops may or may not be covered by insurance. However, I decided to pay for the drops. Drops cost just as much as time, money and gas put into shots. And no reactions to feel on my arm!
    I can't say enough about my success with allergy drops.

Closed Thread