It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Cryptic Tonsils? anyone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
    BEDY
    (female)

BEDY HB User
    Cryptic Tonsils? anyone?

Has anyone else been bothered with Cryptic Tonsils (where the white spots or rocks is embedded in your tonsils)? I have been told that there is nothing to do with them but remove them when they become smelly, and chronic....I relate it to the allergy injections, they say no way.....

It's hard to believe they can't do some kind of procedure to keep them under control or have a solution other than an antibiotic rinse...my doctor says it is needless to put me on antibiotics as I would be bothered with them all the time....

Has anyone heard of any home remedies or procedures other than removal, I would like to get it under control before I consider the surgery....I know there are lots of risks of excessive bleeding...pain control doesn't bother me as much as the bleeding risk...

anyone heard of a alternative till surgery can be done?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Cryptic Tonsils? anyone?

Not really. Tonsil stones are fairly common. Removal of the tonsils is the only sure cure. I'm not sure why you are so worried about excessive bleeding. It's not that common but it does happen. They can take care of it if it does occur.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
    BEDY
    (female)

BEDY HB User

I know the bleeding thing sounds weird....but when I had the deviated septum and nasal spur removed about 6 wks ago, I was totally unprepared for the the bloody drainage, I truly thought I was bleeding excessively....in the back of my throat...and it started clotting and was unable to swallow...it was one scary night for me, sent me back to the ER....now that I look back, I must have come off as a basket case to the ER, who had said they have seen much worse bleeding with the septum surgeries.....nasal packing cannot be described, but has to be experienced to understand how some people panic with it...and I guess I did.....I feel so unprepared to deal with the respiratory symptoms I have had in the last 18 months or so.....almost as if I am going into things totally unprepared to deal with any complications that may arise....it may be a mindset I need that I haven't acquired yet...

Old 11-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Oh I can relate to the packing issue...I've had a deviated septum repaired also. The worst thing to me about the tonsillectomy was feeling so much like I'd been run over with a truck. I had some pain but pain pills and a lidocaine gargle gel for numbing worked great...and I ate a steak at about day 3 or 4. And it was itchy when the scabs started coming off too. But the overall feeling of absolutley no energy was the worst part...

Old 11-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
    sarahnaomi2011
    (female)

sarahnaomi2011 HB User

sorry but i got the surgery and i wasn't told that they were called tonsil stones i just thought it was food that would rot in my mouth and smell. i didn't really know that they were what were making my breath smell bad until i tried to swallow and i felt one scratching my throat and i got a mirror out and poked at it with my finger nail and a whole flood of it came out and i had no choice but to swallow it because i was in class. the surgery went well and i have pretty great results(besides the lock jaw which i'm still recovering from six months later) but i still get the bad breath smells because i wear braces. atleast that's what i'm hoping.
    good luck i saw some remedies like tubes that fill with water and you wash your tonsils out with it.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
    BEDY
    (female)

BEDY HB User

Would you both say that you have felt better physically since you had them removed? the case with mine and being inflamed so much of the time is a feeling of tiredness, which could or could not be coming from that...but the dr confirmed that many people with this problem pretty much walks around with a low grade infection type feeling...

apparently getting tonsils removed as an adult is something that some doctors try to sway their patients from if my doctors reaction is typical of others...

for me, these "white spots" seem to be inside the tonsil, not coming out at all..they stay sitting in the same spot with new ones showing up from time to time....it seems like there has to be an ENT procedure to remove the ones that can be seen, as the dr said it was because the tonsils are pocketed with folds....they can do amazing things in medicine today, but not remove some white stuff in tonsils, until a decision can be made by patients as to and when to have them removed.....for me personally, I have no love for this dried up things that stink and would take them out at anytime but must wait for a time when my husband can take off work a few days....

thanks for your info

Old 11-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oh my gosh yes! It's been about 38 years since i had mine out (I was 26 at the time) and I have had the flu once, NO strep throat, NO ear infections and only 2 sinus infections since then....and of course no tonsillitis - all of which I had all the time. I had an ear infection, sinus infection and tonsillitis all at one time when we decided to take them out. It took 3 months to get me well enough to have the surgery. I do not miss them!

Old 11-20-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
    BEDY
    (female)

BEDY HB User

That sounds like a good decision on your part....I started my allergy shots again today, but I am trying the two time a week method where they are injecting the A vial (today) and Monday, the other two in hopes that it will get me through this stage .... it will be interesting to see if I have anymore tonsil flareups with this new way....

Does anyone understand the way they mix up the allergens in each vial? for instance, in todays vial, there was the ragweed, grasses, dust mites....I am assuming they mix up the vials according to the most sensitive you are to the allergens? anyone know?

Old 11-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Generally speaking, the different vials are because certain serums have larger or smaller molecules and won't mix with each other. So similar ones are in one vial and the others are in another. It doesn't have anything to do with what you are more sensitive to but rather the individual material. Or at least that was the way it was with mine because I asked why it couldn't all be in one.

Last edited by Titchou; 11-20-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
    queentater
    (female)

queentater HB User

If it helps, taking a clean cotton swab and gently rotating it on the stones might help them come out, its a lot less painful for me to use instead of a nail and (if the stones smelled bad) to garrgle wth mouthwash (it might be painfull though)

Closed Thread