HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Allergies (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/)
-   -   Sublingual Immunotherapy (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/724588-sublingual-immunotherapy.html)

Machaon 12-23-2009 02:25 PM

Re: Sublingual Immunotherapy

[QUOTE=Machaon;4148322]One rather exciting development is that, during this month, December 2009, new SLIT guidelines have been published. It is 49 pages long, and will take me a long, LONG time to read through and try to understand, and then try to conform to the new guidelines.

Wish me luck! :D[/QUOTE]

The SLIT guidelines are exciting but very slow, difficult reading, deciphering and understanding. :dizzy:

If I am reading and understanding them correctly, the SLIT Guidelines state that, not only is SLIT effective for providing relief to allergy sufferers but it does much more than just initiate Immune System and NeuroHormonal System reactions, SLIT also causes desensitization and prevents new sensitizations!

That is what I had hoped for! I don't want SLIT to cause any more Immune System and NeuroHormonal System reactions to specific allergen, I want to be desensitized so that my body doesn't go nuts when I encounter dust, or cats, or dogs, or grass, or leather, or plastic, or rubber, or chemicals, etc., etc., etc.

I did seven treatments today and will do seven more tomorrow and so on and so on and so on. I will vary the allergens used and cross my fingers. I am getting extremely excited and encouraged about at-home SLIT protocol! It is damn easy to do, safe and also effective, in my humble, non-professional opinion. Give me six months and hopefully, I will say goodbye FOREVER to my allergies.

[SIZE="6"][B][COLOR="Blue"]Charge!!!!!!![/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Machaon 12-29-2009 02:58 AM

[QUOTE=Machaon;4148886]The SLIT guidelines are exciting but very slow, difficult reading, deciphering and understanding. :dizzy:

If I am reading and understanding them correctly, the SLIT Guidelines state that, not only is SLIT effective for providing relief to allergy sufferers but it does much more than just initiate Immune System and NeuroHormonal System reactions, SLIT also causes desensitization and prevents new sensitizations! [/QUOTE]

Still reading and digesting the newly published SLIT guidelines.

There are some interesting findings, from reading the SLIT guidelines, as follows:
[LIST][COLOR="Navy"][b][*]The Medical World does not know how much allergen to use to make SLIT most effective.[/B] :confused:[*][B]The Medical World does not know how long to continue SLIT treatment. [/B]:confused:[*][B]The Medical World does not know how long the improvement in Asthma or Sinus Allergic Rhinitis lasts, after SLIT treatments.[/B] :confused:[INDENT][U][B]A small study seemed to show that the benefits were long lasting for Asthmatic patients![/B][/U] :D[/INDENT][*][B]So far, the Medical World thinks that it is best to treat with a single allergen under the tongue rather than multiple allergens under the tongue at the same time.[/B] :)[*][B]SLIT (under the tongue allergy desensitization) is used throughout Europe, especially in France and Italy, where SLIT is the number one protocol for new allergy desensitizations! :) [/COLOR][/B] [/LIST]

Anyways...... I plan to continue doing SLIT experiments on a continuing basis. At this point I cannot say definitively that SLIT is helping to desensitize my Asthma. The reason why? I have not gotten up the courage, yet, to test my reactions to certain known allergens, which I am still avoiding like the plague. Sooner or later, I know that I will need to test contact with one of these allergens, but I am not ready yet. :(

On the other hand, I have not had any more serious or uncomfortable reactions to my SLIT experiments, and have only had mild reactions to placing allergen under my tongue. So...... that is encouraging to me. :)

For the next few months, I will continue my experiments and tests on a variety of allergens. If I experience anything definitive that shows that my SLIT experiments are improving or desensitizing my Asthma, I will certainly post about it.

Wish me luck! :wave:

Machaon 12-30-2009 08:57 AM

[QUOTE=Machaon;4151464]For the next few months, I will continue my experiments and tests on a variety of allergens. If I experience anything definitive that shows that my SLIT experiments are improving or desensitizing my Asthma, I will certainly post about it.

Wish me luck! :wave:[/QUOTE]

For those who are interested, I am going to keep updating this thread, more frequently with results and experiments, but mostly on my HealthBoards blog, which has my first post from this morning's SLIT experiment.

Machaon 01-03-2010 05:43 AM

[QUOTE=Machaon;4151464]Still reading and digesting the newly published SLIT guidelines.

I plan to continue doing SLIT experiments on a continuing basis. At this point I cannot say definitively that SLIT is helping to desensitize my Asthma.[/QUOTE]

I'm reading the guidelines over and over and over again. Each time I read portions of the SLIT Guidelines I pick up on some points that, somehow, I had overlooked before. At my age, everything absorbs slowly and takes a while to sink in! :round:

Regarding my ongoing, long term safe, at-home SLIT experimental treatment effectiveness? Well.... in the past, when I have found and removed a major allergy trigger from my home, I have noticed an increase in energy, an over improvement in feeling better, less anxiety and tension and reduced Asthma and allergy symptoms.

On January 1st, 2010, after five treatments of RUSH-SLIT Grass Allergens, I did suffer from increased Asthma problems which lasted all night. Yesterday, the 2nd, I had slight "labored breathing" problems all day long.

Today, Sunday the 3rd, I am really REALLY feeling good! I have more energy than normal. I feel better in the pit of my stomach. I am able to do more weight lifting and exercises than normal. I have a much greater appetite. In fact, I have been craving food all morning, no matter how much I eat. I have noticed in the past that, the better I get, the stronger my appetite. This has caused me quite a problem, and is resulting in my eating more and gaining some weight! :eek:

I am not going to say definitively that my improved overall health is due to my at-home SLIT treatments, but, if not, then what is the explanation for my improved wellbeing? Only time will tell if this is a fluke, or a legitimate result of the at-home SLIT treatments. :D :confused:

Anyway..... I post the day to day details of my SLIT experiment in my Blog.

Wish me luck! :wave:

Machaon 04-29-2011 04:55 AM

[QUOTE=Machaon;4154726]I am not going to say definitively that my improved overall health is due to my at-home SLIT treatments, but, if not, then what is the explanation for my improved wellbeing? Only time will tell if this is a fluke, or a legitimate result of the at-home SLIT treatments. :D :confused:[/QUOTE]

It's now about 1 years after I first started experimenting with doing my own SLIT treatments at home, using a variety of allergens, starting with grass. I moved onto other allergens that have a more serious and debilitating impact on my life.

After many more SLIT treatments, and about 1 years, my lifestyle is still very restricted because of having to survive Heart Failure and Permanent Atrial Fibrillation and Insulin Resistance with a good quality of life.

Asthma and Allergies worsens my more serious health problems. So..... if I can lessen the effects of my allergies, it significantly improves my struggles with my other more threatening health problems.

My sensitivities to the main target of my SLIT experiments have improved substantially and I stopped my SLIT experiments quite a while ago! I can now come more into contact with one of my most debilitating allergy triggers, and not suffer from any significant allergic reactions. This specific allergy is not totally "cured" but has improved to the point that my quality of life has greatly improved. I cannot believe what has happened! I am overjoyed! :blob_fire

Machaon 07-15-2011 01:05 AM

[QUOTE=Machaon;4148886]Give me six months and hopefully, I will say goodbye FOREVER to my allergies.[/QUOTE]

This was absolute nonsense on my part. I will never be able to say goodbye to all my allergies. However, since I started at-home, inexpensive Sublingual Immunotherapy (SLIT) experiments, in 2009, I have experienced a wonderful, life-altering improvement in my Asthma. I can now come into direct contact with my most significant, life-restricting allergen, and not suffer from any Asthmatic reaction, including labored breathing. I used to get labored breathing much more often than I am experiencing today. After decades of struggling with Asthma, I am overjoyed!

Buts.... this is all too confusing for me. I can also have one of my other really nasty irritants in my home without any significant reaction. This irritant is closely related to my other one, so perhaps there is a link??? I have kept this item out in my Florida Room, for the last few years, because I could not even have it in my home without my Asthma kicking in. Even after I placed it out on the Florida Room, I would have to air my place out before I could breath easy again. Now I can have it in my home, maybe!?

I put it back out in the Florida Room last night. I did not want to take a chance and have Asthma problems last night. Night time is the worst time for my Asthma, even though I have not had any problems lately. My Asthma is much more reactive at night. I did not have any problems with Asthma last night, and I did not have to air my place out!

I am going to bring that item back into my place this morning and then try to leave it in my home tonight, if I have enough courage and/or confidence. I don't know if I will. I usually chicken out. Night time Asthma is one of my worst fears.

Anywho...... wish me luck! :D