It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Allergic to penicillin and keflex. What now?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2011, 04:13 AM   #1
    tetsubinatu
    (female)

tetsubinatu HB User
    Allergic to penicillin and keflex. What now?

My 8yo daughter developed hives a few months ago as a reaction to penicillin. This was not entirely unprecedented as her father and one of her brothers are also allergic to penicillin, however she was recently prescribed Keflex and developed an intense rash as an obvious reaction to it, so that's now two major antibiotic groups she has problems with - and the doctor pulled a long face and said she'd have problems in the future finding a suitable antibiotic.

I'd like to educate myself further on this topic and if you have any relevant experiences or resources (including support groups or interest groups) to share I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2011, 04:39 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Allergic to penicillin and keflex. What now?

That's a problem as the Keflex is usually, not always, one people can tolerate. You don't say what it was prescribed for so that makes it difficult to make a suggestion. Anyone have problems with Z-packs? That's usually a good one though I'm allergic to it.

And they can do testing for these allergies. It's not fun and I don't know if I'd subject her to it but it can be done.

Hope you find a solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
    tetsubinatu (03-11-2011)
    Old 03-11-2011, 04:48 AM   #3
    tetsubinatu
    (female)

tetsubinatu HB User

Thanks! It was prescribed for a suspected UTI (the doctor said that where UTIs in children are concerned it is better to play it safe) but the symptoms have abated now and we are waiting on a urine test to see if there is anything further to pursue, so there is a certain level of irony in that!

I am mainly concerned for the future, so I want to boost my general knowledge in the area of antibiotic allergies.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

My son developed these same 2 allergies as a baby and my daughter got them when she was bout 8-9. I got them when I was in my teens. Keflex is related to penicillin and probably shouldn't be given to anyone allergic to PCN.

I went on to develop more antibiotic allergies as did my son but they are all very different antibiotics that are usually given for fungal infections. Neither of us has had any trouble getting antibiotics we need. Your doc is just lazy in finding out what can be given...make her work for her high salary. It's called research.

I have over 40 drug allergies and I do a lot of research myself so when the docs get lazy, I can make suggestions myself....helps them to remember that they can figure this out of they think for a minute and don't just say...she's allergic....and throw up their hands.

You might be have to rule out a family but there are lots of different families of antibiotics that can be used.

Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
    tetsubinatu (03-11-2011)
    Old 03-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
    tetsubinatu
    (female)

tetsubinatu HB User

Thanks Jenny! That really is very reassuring to read.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
    hithere4994
    (male)

hithere4994 HB User

I'm allergic to penicillin and my doctor usually prescribes me Bacteriums.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

1. Dont take antibiotics unless strictly needed

2. If you do realy need an antibiotic, there are still plenty to choose from..... erythromycin, bactrim, clindamycin, tetracyclines etc

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 03-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

So if you're allergic to penicillin, sulfa, tetracycline and the mycins, what do you suggest? Not much left that they are willing to give...at least none of my docs will give me one unless there is no alternative....and they've told me I can't be alone if they do.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Titchou: There are entire classes of antibiotics out there that just ... fell out of fashion. Some of them were banned as dangerous, but some were just phased out in favor of the newer, better thing. Many of them are still quite popular in other parts of the world.

I certainly don't have as many antibiotic allergies as you, but given how easily I develop new drug allergies, it was definitely a concern, until I learned this.

Because the "odd" drugs can be hard to come by, if you think you might need it, you might want to start trying to get some now.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:50 AM   #10
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well, I would but the concern is that with all these meds, I took them for a while with no side effects. Then overnight, a bad reaction - anaphalaxis with the penicillin, blistering of my mouth with a Z pak, etc. I'm not willing - nor are my doctors - to experiment at this point in life. My allergist told me, in a fit of frustration, to not get any more infections! So, I've been a good girl and not gotten any (not sure how much longer my luck will hold out!).

Old 03-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Thats a difficult situation to be sure. Are you able to take quinalones? I know they are pretty potent drugs, but for a serious infection, they might be suitable.

The other option is giving an antibiotic under cover of antihistamines and steroids, again, this would only be considered for serious infections, not for simple sore throat etc

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 03-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oh, he said the only thing he'd give me is Cipro and he's sure it will make me sick. So, so far so good...no infections that required anything. Had a bug one time and my internest said he could give me a scrip but I couldn't take it! These guys are a lot of fun! But am glad they do take it seriously and case by case.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:34 AM   #13
    allallie
    (female)

allallie HB User

Thanks, Jenny for your very helpful post. I wonder if you could give me some leads on how you are doing research, or whether there is a med center or MD somewhere who is actively doing research/testing for this worrisome problem. I have had allergic reactions to virtually every antibiotic out there except Z-pack.

Closed Thread