It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Nasal steroid sprays?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
    Uky72
    (male)

Uky72 HB User
    Nasal steroid sprays?

I've had chronic rhinosinusitis (caused mostly by multiple food sensitivities (skin-***** negative, not life threatening; and vigorous cardio exercise) for 18 years. I've had a couple surgeries, the last in 2009. Have used many nasal steroids, and though Flonase used to work absolutely great for years, it pooped out a few years ago. The others I used never worked that well (in order of recency: Nasonex, Beclomethasone, Nasacort, Budesonide, Vancenase).

Do the steroids stop working because my system gets accustomed to them, and/or up-regulates the inflammatory response? I haven't yet tried: Nasarel (Flunisolide), Omnaris, and the powerhouse, Dexamethasone. Would I get different results from these?

During my last bout with a sinus infection, while doing an antibiotic and systemic steroid course, I was taking Sudafed 12-hour for a month and a half, and it worked great, until it too stopped being very effective. My primary doc says, essentially, you have to keep changing things up to keep the brain from getting used to any one treatment.

Antihistamines (systemic, and nasal, such as Aztelin), all knock me out. Are there other options for controlling this kind of congestion and mucus production? (which most of the docs I've seen have agreed is allergic inflammation) Any interesting off-label combinations in use? (saw a pilot study for oxymetazoline hcl combined with mometasone for persistent congestion).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Nasal steroid sprays?

Have you tried saline nasal rinses?

Old 05-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Uky72 View Post
    ... Do the steroids stop working because my system gets accustomed to them, and/or up-regulates the inflammatory response?
    I have been using a steroid nasal spray for well over ten years and it has never varied in it's basic effectiveness. The steroid sinus spray will not totally protect me, if I come into contact with, or eat things that triggers an allergic sinus reaction, but for the most part, since using it I have not suffered any nasty sinus problems. It just keeps working and working and working.

I have tried to get off of it, figuring, perhaps, that I was cured of sinus problems, but I soon found out that I still needed to use it.

It's the same as my steroid Asthma spray. It keeps working and working and working. I tried to get off of it , figuring that I was cured and didn't need it. I will never do that again!

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 05-11-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
    lyn27
    (female)

lyn27 HB User

It is a question i would like to know the answer to for myself. Ithink it depends on type of prob you have. Do you have allergic rhinosinusitis or there are other things as you say. In my experience if a person has an allergy like i do (hay fever) then it will generally work but ifit isnt fully allergic thats why your dr said that your brain gets used to it. I think you can ask the dr they would know why. It is still resl problem just different to allergy. Im figuring out what works best for my hay fever, steroid sprays are expensive im trying to get one that isnt too expensive but they arent strong enough for me.

Closed Thread

Tags
    allergic rhinosinusitis, corticosteroid, nasal congestion