It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Please Help! I don't know what else to do, is it really allergies?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
    misssensitive
    (female)

misssensitive HB User
    Please Help! I don't know what else to do, is it really allergies?

I don't know where else to go, so I'm hoping that someone here can guide me in the right direction. Sorry it's lengthy. Since I was born I have had the "unhappy triad": asthma, eczema and allergies. When I was younger my asthma seemed more prevelent.

In my early twenties, I began noticing red patches on my neck, lip and around my eyes. I thought nothing of it at the time, I just assumed it was my eczema and would cover it up with makeup.

About seven years ago, I began to really bad break-outs where my eyes would swell up, my face would get red and swollen and over time it would turn to a rash that would dissipate throughout my body. I went to an allergist where I was living at the time, and asked if there were food allergy tests he could do. He gave me a RAST blood test for about 20 suspected foods. About 95% of these foods came back with a reaction of 3 or 4 out of 6 scale. 6 being anaphalactic shock potentiality. At this time I began an elimination diet. I took gluten, eggs, tomatos, spicy foods, cheese, eggplant, onions, corn and more out. This was impossible and was not helping at the time. I continued without spicy foods, foods with seeds, raw onions, garlic and corn. Once I moved out of this residence I suspected that the house was very moldly and contributed to the massive outbreaks I was getting.

I was then living in a new state, went to a new allergist and had more tests done. I tried the elimination diet again, with no relief. No answers and was still getting the same reaction with an initial red face, rash then spreading throughout my body.

A little over a year ago I moved again. I went to another new allergist/immunologist and dermatologist. More expensive tests were performed. This allergist stated that my IgE cells were so incredibly high, some of the highest numbers he's ever seen, that it masks my "true" allergens. He told me that unless I get an immediate reaction when eating something, I can eat whatever I want. I also had a skin-patch test done with no positive reactions. I then started 4 allergy shots per week, along with zyrtec, singulair, albuterol inhaler and dulera inhaler.

A year after consistently being on this regimen, I am still getting reactions with no known causes. It starts with a bright red face, especially on my cheekbones, brow bond and neck, sometimes lips and eyes. During a bad breakout it will itch, feel tight and warm to the touch. As the week goes on, my face progresses to dry/tight skin to very flaky (noticible big flakes) on my face. It may progress towards my chest and downward. As soon as it seems to be clearing up, I will wake up and this cycle will begin again.

Recently I have suspected sulphites (again). So, I have remover wine and vinegrette dressings from my diet for over 3 weeks now. I have also removed my vegan all-natural face cleanser and moisturizer. I use free & clear shampoos and conditioners, no paraben, sulfites or fragrances. I use hypoallergenic laundry detergent. My house is all hardwood floors with minimal dust. My makeup, which I have to use otherwise people look at me crazy, is all natural for sensitive-skin. I still don't eat spicy food, garlic or raw onions. I have a very minimal gluten intake, and rarely eat processed foods. No changes and no hope. The only time my face is completely flawless and radiant is when I am on predisone, which I don't like to take frequently, but I began to get addicted for a month because I loved the way it made me look and feel. These outbreaks really hurt at times. It makes me feel tired and depressed. I just don't know what to do, and I can't get any answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Please Help! I don't know what else to do, is it really allergies?

Are you on any meds for any conditions?

Old 02-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
    misssensitive
    (female)

misssensitive HB User
    Zyrtec, singulair, albuterol, dulera, and 4 allergy shots a week for environmental allergies, I've tried tons of different creams but most are not advised to use on the face.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Sorry, I meant are you on any meds other than allergy/asthma ones?

Old 02-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
    misssensitive
    (female)

misssensitive HB User
    No, no other ones

Old 02-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

It sounds like you've done tons right already.

How long have you been on the allergy shots? It usually takes me about a year to start seeing results.

Have any of your doctors talked to you about Xolair? These shots are for allergic asthma and help block the IgE responses.

Have you seen a dermatologist lately? Maybe they would have something additional to add in terms of looking at causes or triggers.

I had a doctor talk to me years ago about the "allergic triad". I haven't heard it called the "unhappy triad" before. I think your name for it is more appropriate at times.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi, I am so sorry you are going they this. You sound just like my brother in law, he is much older, like 76, has been suffering for years. Used to be military but didn't take as much effort to find the problem. I know my sister had to wash his cloths separate with gentle detergent, no dyes, etc. he has to wear a CPAP machine at nite and his face is raw fr it. On top of that he's develop dementia

I don't know anything about this except to please watch your prednisone intake. You can develop Addison's disease from taking too much, that happened to ME.

cathy

Old 02-20-2013, 05:32 AM   #8
    misssensitive
    (female)

misssensitive HB User
    Mountain, I have been taking the shots a little over a year now, really can't tell if they're working. One allergist did discuss with me Xolair before, but it was too costly at the time. The new allergist did not mention this either.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #9
    misssensitive
    (female)

misssensitive HB User
    Cathy, yes, I am very worried about long term side effects of the predisone. As long as I can remember I'm put on it at least once a year, sometimes more often either for a severe asthma episode or a bad skin outbreak. I don't like taking it, but I love the way it.completely clears me up.

Closed Thread

Tags
    allergies, eczema, reactions, red and flaky, sensitivities