It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Severe reaction to Chili Doritos

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
    Marywisc
    (female)

Marywisc HB User
    Severe reaction to Chili Doritos

Hi yesterday I ate a handful of regular Doritos and then tried 3 chili flavor (new to me) Doritos. Immediately My eyes felt itchy and so I rubbed them without thinking. I am sure I rubbed the powder into my eyes. I then went to wash my eyes out and hands when I saw myself in the mirror, my tissue around both eyes were swelling up rapidly. I then noticed my throat feeling thick and a difficulty swallowing. That's when I got scared. I took Benadryl and I had my husband take me to the ER. By the time we reached the ER-10 minutes, I could only see the floor due to the swelling and could not speak comfortably.
    The ER put in an IV, gave me Benadryl and prednisone. Watched me to make sure it didn't get worse. After two hours I went home. The eye swelling somewhat improved and throat a bit better. Today there is still some puffiness under my eyes and in one corner of the left eye. I am on prednisone for 8 days.
    I saw that one other person here in 2008 had this happen to them however that string is closed. I wonder if Amync ever had testing and what happened with her?
    I am scared as I see there are so many ingredients in Doritos that it may be hard to determine what caused this. I assume as I am not allergic to regular Doritos that it must be the flavoring or coloring of the chili flavor. They only list "spices" so I have no idea what that is. Is it chili powder? Pepper?
    I had a similar reaction a month ago after eating pepper cheese. I rubbed my itchy eye and it swelled up the same. I took Benadryl and it went away after a few hours. My throat was not affected then.
    Anyone have a similar reaction? Will allergy testing be of any help? What should I test for?
    If Amy sees this: did you ever find out what ingredient you were allergic to?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Severe reaction to Chili Doritos

It's almost certainly a reaction to whatever hot pepper has been used in the food.... probably jalapenos, but not limited to that type. Never touch your eyes if you've been handling hot peppers. Because of the wheezing, swelling, and other anaphylactic symptoms, you should avoid hot peppers altogether.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Do you have an Epi-pen? If not, I highly suggest you ask your doctor for a prescription for one. It can literally be a lifesaver in an emergency if you are having issues with breathing. You use it, then get yourself to the hospital right away.

I understand it is scary to go through something like this. It is scarier not knowing your trigger. Is sounds like you have self-identified that peppers may be involved though.

There is food allergy testing available with an allergist, but it doesn't cover everything, usually just the most common allergens. It would be a good idea to seek out allergy testing though.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

I know how you feel. I went out to eat in dc one time and had French onion soup. I immediately started swelling around my mouth my lip throat was itchy. Took a Benadryl went back to hotel but in middle of night I woke up and my eyes were swollen shut and wasn't breathing well so I went to er got some epinephrine and a script for two pens.

The next day I called the restaurant and spoke with the chef got a list of ingredients one being rasberriy liquor. I think that was it but not sure I just don't eat it anymore or raspberries lol! Cathy

Old 09-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #5
    Marywisc
    (female)

Marywisc HB User

Hi all, thank you for your input and advice. I definitely am going to be more aware of rubbing my eyes and what I eat. It's scary to all of a sudden be allergic to something that you have eaten in the past. As far as pepper cheese, I have had that many times. I am going to call my Dr today and get an epi pen. I wrote to frito lay and asked for a list of ingredients that would be in chili flavor Doritos and not the regular. That might give me an idea of what to test for.
    That's scary about the onion soup! What makes a person all of a sudden be allergic? I am 52, you'd think I would have developed this years ago. Although in the past year I have also developed Graves' disease and arthritis, all autoimmune diseases. Sigh.....

Closed Thread

Tags
    allergic reaction, eye abnormalities, throat tightness