It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Welts/hives

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
    MsBee86
    (female)

MsBee86 HB User
    Welts/hives

Within the last 2/3 weeks, I have noticed welts (very large and warm) on certain parts of my body, mainly around my ankles, hips, backs of my knees, and one spot on my spine. At first, I thought it was an allergy to my laundry detergent, so I started making my own because I am allergic to everything else. After switching soaps, I noticed that the hives/welts subsided but then after a couple days, I got 2 on my spine again. One welt was about the size of a silver dollar and the other, about four inches lower on my spine, about the size of a quarter. Later that night, the left side of my lower lip randomly got very warm and started to swell. It looked as though I had been stung by a bee. There was no pain other than the uncomfortable tightness.

Any ideas on what could be the cause? I can't get into my doctor for quite some time, and I prefer to avoid the emergency room since it doesn't seem that serious but I'd really like an idea of what in the world is going on.

Update 12/16/13-This morning I woke up with one nickel sized welt on each arm, just below my elbows.

Last edited by MsBee86; 12-16-2013 at 02:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2013, 03:59 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Welts/hives

Are you taking any meds? Even OTC ones? That's the same reaction I had to Aleve.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:29 AM   #3
    MsBee86
    (female)

MsBee86 HB User

I do use Aleve but only occasionally when I get migraines. I haven't had to use it for for about 2 months so I don't think it would be from that.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

What about other meds?

Old 12-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
    MsBee86
    (female)

MsBee86 HB User

I'm not taking any meds at the moment.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:03 AM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Possibly a food allergy. It sounds more like something you ingest than a contact one - like laundry detergent, soap, etc.

As for your lip, look up Oral Allergy Syndrome (OAS)and see if it fits.

Last edited by Titchou; 12-20-2013 at 04:05 AM.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
    brokenweed
    (female)

brokenweed HB User

Has anything caused an increase in your stress level. When I was working full time and going to law school at night, I started getting hives my second year. I used Benadryl to make them go away. After a couple of months they went away.

I also get them from fir trees. When I had a real Christmas tree, I had to wear gloves to decorate it.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:21 AM   #8
    MsBee86
    (female)

MsBee86 HB User

Thank you for the input, I'll have to mess with my diet to see if anything changes. I haven't been eating anything new and I haven't noticed that it happens after a specific food but I'll start a journal of food intake along with when the hives happen.

As far as it being stress related, it was definitely something I had contemplated. I haven't been any more stressed out than normal, but still a possible cause. I'll try the Benadryl. That stuff used to make me incredibly drowsy though.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:56 AM   #9
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Try zyrtec instead of the benedryl. That's what they usually prescribe and it works well for hives. It's OTC so you don't need a scrip.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:03 AM   #10
    MsBee86
    (female)

MsBee86 HB User

I started getting a few welts near my right eye mid-morning (10:30) yesterday. At this point I hadn't had anything to eat or drink other than applesauce and water. By the time I got home at 7:30, the welts had covered my right eyelid, surrounded my right eye, and started to appear on my left eyelid. I took some benadryl (hadn't seen your post about the zyrtec yet) and went to bed once it started making me sleepy. I woke up at 5am this morning to find that both eyes were very swollen and my whole face is red and covered in hives (including my ears), and VERY itchy. I'm breaking down and going to the hospital or a walk in today after work.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:16 AM   #11
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

If you are getting swelling you should see a doctor right away.

Closed Thread

Tags
    hives, skin allergies, welts