It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Insane over night itching, bad rash

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2014, 01:22 AM   #1
    ItchyGuyIn818
    (male)

ItchyGuyIn818 HB User
    Insane over night itching, bad rash

I cant focus long enough to read through every post here with sufficient tags. I'm sorry if similar questions have been asked. I really just can't stop scratching!!

About a week ago, I developed a sore throat, paired with a mild cough. I'm pretty certain it was a cold or a flu I picked up off my father, who had it two weeks prior. I went about my day to day, no meds, no special care. As the sore throat got worse, I invested in cough drops and made sure to eat my veggies and get my vitamin C, normal "get well" stuff. Everything seemed fine, until 4 days ago I picked up a mild fever (100.5*f) accompanied by pretty bad lethargy, a moderate headache, a drastic loss of appetite (I'm pretty food motivated, but dieting in a healthy manner and fixing the belly issue). Again, no big deal, except that night I developed a rash. An insanely itchy, red bumps, hives/rash. I've never been this itchy before in my life, and I've NEVER had this bad of a rash before. It started out on my forearms between my inner elbow and wrist, both arms. It spread to my upper arms, shoulders, chest and back. I took benadryl and it was gone by morning. The next night, around the same time, it came back but worse. My face, eyes, ears, shoulders, back, chest, stomach, arms, hands, between my fingers, palms, knees, ankles, and feet were burning, red, swelling, and itchy beyond words.

I thought scabies, but scabies doesn't cause ear/eye/face swelling. I thought measles or mono, but I've had no contact with anyone who may have it, and I've been vaccinated growing up. Also, I have not seem to gifted my rash to my girlfriend. I thought it was bed bugs, or mites, or a sudden pet allergy. So, I spent an entire night 6pm-midnight away from home. Rash developed anyway. I cant figure this out, and the itch is so bad I'm losing sleep, cant focus when it flares up, and it takes nearly every ounce of my being not to scratch the skin clean off my body.

I took benadryl every time the flare ups occurred, but it seems all the benadryl does is stop the itch everywhere but my palms/between fingers. The redness fades slightly, but the bumps remain. I also have been taking aspirin paired with the benadryl. I stopped my daily vitamin, the cough is nearly gone, temperature (without meds) is 98.8*f which is actually slightly lower than my normal 99.3*f (ish).

I've also noticed I am losing a lot of "skin dirt" especially in my palms, wrists, and inner elbows. I started rubbing to avoid scratching myself raw, and whilst I shower daily, even immediately after a shower I can still rub off a fair amount of skin within an hour. I am not peeling, cracking, bleeding, or scaly anywhere (except perhaps my scalp, but I can't see through the hair). My scalp is also itchy, but not really more than normal.

I have not had any changes to my diet, environment, laundry soap, routine, or anything else lifestyle wise, except I pet a neighborhood cat once about 3 weeks ago for a solid 15 minutes. I thought mange/scabies because of this. So, I read an old wives' tale test of using a felt tip marker to "color in" around itchy hives and wash away the ink to show if any tunnels or burrows appear (ink supposedly fills the tunnel and doesnt wash away?) But, I did not see any significant result.

I'm at my wits end and about to break down and see a doctor, but I'm stupid and didn't sign up for the ACA free healthcare yet because I'm currently between jobs (finishing senior year at Cal State Northridge) and didn't want to be a deadbeat mooch. Kicking myself for that choice!

no other symptoms of liver failure, no family history of sudden onset allergies, no blood in stool, nothing I can think of to add!

Any help?? Ideas??

TL;DR:

Rash from 11pm-5am ish, daily, regardless of where I sleep or if I sleep at all. Benadryl + aspirin only makes the itch less intense, palms remain itchy on drugs. Rash is moderate, covers face, ears, shoulders, back, chest, upper arms, palms, between fingers, scalp. Was sick recently, had minor swelling (all gone now, except rash and cough). This is currently day 4 or 5.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2014, 02:31 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Insane over night itching, bad rash

This could well be from an infection. Strep and mono are both notorious for causing hives and allergic type reactions to the bacterial toxins/virus. I would see a Dr., and get a throat culture and mono test. You can get it easily from contacts, such as other students. and if you have strep and it remains untreated, it could cause much more serious problems. Do you have access to your student health clinic? Neither test is expensive, and well worth finding out. Not everyone with strep gets really sick or has a persistent sore throat, and headaches are common with both strep and mono.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
    ItchyGuyIn818
    (male)

ItchyGuyIn818 HB User

Thanks, Ladybud.

But I still have a question or two. My sister used to get strep or mono (or both?) all the time when she was in high school before her tonsils were taken out. I was 8 so I hardly remember (26 now). I don't remember her having a cough, or a rash that lasted 11pm-5am that was gone daily. It's the rash disappearing and reappearing that's really concerning to me.

I have every intention of getting in to school and finding out how the student health center works. I was trying to see if a little bed rest and soup would chase away the illness like it had for my father or I would have sooner. Unfortunately, it seems I'm not so lucky. I'd just like to go in mentally prepared and read up on possible scenarios so I understand what's being said to me, what's being done, and why.

Last edited by ItchyGuyIn818; 10-24-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I would just try a zyrtec AM and PM for about 5-7 days and see if that takes care of it.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:00 AM   #5
    ItchyGuyIn818
    (male)

ItchyGuyIn818 HB User

thank you, Titchou,

I had a charity event that I was a part of, that lasted a solid 24 hours (and about 12 of prep set up and 3 of cleaning and take down before my mind and body finally quit on me...)

During the event, I spiked a fever, started the rash, and have the worst case of dry mouth ever.

I fought it with standard dose of benadryl, aspirin, and enough coffee to run a diesel truck for a week. I repeated the benadryl and aspirin on the four hour mark, twice. I have been perfectly clear and fine since then (minus exhaustion and a very weak voice, paired with a cough. Likely from the event). I want to chalk it up to suffering through, but once I stopped taking the drugs, everything seems to have gone away. I am completely dumbfounded and still quite concerned that the symptoms will return but currently it seems as though I was allergic to an infection that my body has since fought off.

Only treatment was vitamins and rest, benadryl, aspirin, and a very high demand and duration work schedule for the event mentioned above. Maybe it was good karma for working so hard on the event. Others argued it was stress due to the event, but honestly I loved the prep and the work. It was good fun and at no point did I feel as though things were bad.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:00 AM   #6
    patel83
    (female)

patel83 HB User

Could it be cockroach allergy?
    I have similar symptoms.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:04 AM   #7
    patel83
    (female)

patel83 HB User