It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board

Does anyone know why probiotics stop working

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #1
May2013
(female)

May2013 HB User
Does anyone know why probiotics stop working

Any idea as to why probiotics work but then stop working after a month or so?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2016, 07:46 PM   #2
Cheryl33
Inactive
(female)

Cheryl33 HB User
Re: Does anyone know why probiotics stop working

Why do you say they stopped working after a month? I have been on probiotics for about 3 years after I kept getting infections and haven't had one since and only had a slight cold for 2 days in the past 3 years.

Old 02-20-2016, 05:17 AM   #3
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I have never heard of probiotics stopping working, but are you sure you are buying a quality probiotic and storing it properly? Some need to be refrigerated...some need to be kept away from light. You also want to make sure that they are not expired...
Probiotics are living bacteria; and they do have a shelf life.
You might want to talk to someone in a health food store about the different types and what you are using them for- and get some suggestions on what type might be most useful for you.
Good luck!

Old 02-20-2016, 09:12 AM   #4
May2013
(female)

May2013 HB User

Basically my situation is as follows. I won't type it all bc it's really long so I'll shorten it:
2010 - noticed extreme anxiety and depression, intrusive thoughts, unable to control
- got diagnosed with enlarged thyroid, bloodwork normal, dr. said to get ultrasound once a year..ultrasound started with no nodules

2011- got cosmetic surgery procedure, after procedure, depression became severe to the point I couldn't leave bed. Went in hospital 3 different times.
- annual ultrasound of thyroid showed multiple nodules

2012, 2013,2014 - depression never went away thyroid still enlarged, bloodworks normal
- got bloodwork for vitamins, hormones all normal

2015- thyroid nodule grew significantly, dr. orders biospsy, biopsy negative (non cancerous) bloodworks normal
gained 30 lbs in five months for no reason
swollen lymph node behind ear
extreme fatigue
sharp pains throughout body

throughout the entire ordeal I have tried the natural route..eating well, homeopathy, supplements, teas, aromatherapy, organic lotions, soap, shampoo, etc to avoid toxins, so one time I tried probiotics since I follow all the natural whole food news etc. I seen a lot of good things about them...
so around Nov. 2015 through end of Dec. 2015 I felt amazing. All my symptoms went away and I could barely feel my thyroid when i swallowed. i hought it was the probiotics bc I used a food diary and that was the onlhy thing different around that time..
Then around the end of December, the symptoms slowly started to return and I felt depressed and horrible again....I read about others who said their probiotics just stopped working as well..
I refrigerate them, make sure they are not expired, and have tried different brands, strains, and strengths since then but nothing has worked....I finally decided to stop them about a week ago and will start again sometime to see if they work again......
I can't prove the probiotics helped me or that they stop working or anything...just thought it was them since around the time i began taking them, i felt better

Old 04-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #5
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by May2013 View Post
I can't prove the probiotics helped me or that they stop working or anything...just thought it was them since around the time i began taking them, i felt better
Since probiotics are living bacteria, a truly healthy diet should keep them well fed and thriving so there's no need to keep replacing them.

I have never taken probiotics; I eat a healthy diet and I'm healthy. Whatever bacteria I had as a newborn/toddler has just kept going and going and going, for decades. No need to replace the bacteria ever.

And, btw, I had pneumonia when I was 17 and had to take lots of antibiotics. Still, for some reason, there was no problem with a lack of bacteria. I learned recently that the appendix serves as a reservoir for bacteria. So if a person loses all the bacteria in their gut, their appendix will supply enough bacteria to repopulate their gut back to normal.

And, just think, for so many years we were told the appendix had no purpose.

Last edited by JohnR41; 04-30-2016 at 01:00 PM.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:46 PM   #6
haggybaggy31
(female)

haggybaggy31 HB User

Could they be too old or not refrigerated when they should be or not high grade? Good that you are taking them. Very necessary with quality of foods changing so much and pancreas needs the support.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:49 PM   #7
haggybaggy31
(female)

haggybaggy31 HB User

Also can I just add they might need to be fed with prebiotics.

Reply Reply