It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board

• Ginkgo Biloba???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2003, 08:38 AM   #1
    66kelrae85

66kelrae85 HB User
    Question Ginkgo Biloba???

Does anyone know if Ginkgo Biloba helps A.D.D.?

My child is having a problem sitting still in class. Doesn't get the hand writing assignments done in class and has a hard time concentrating on the schoolwork. My child has not been diagnosed with ADD. But after reading into it, it sounds like this may be what is wrong with my child. My child is 7yrs old.

Someone suggested using Ginkgo Biloba. I don't know if I should use it or not. Or if I should contact the teacher, counselor at school and the doctor first.

Any suggestions? THANKS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2003, 10:37 AM   #2
    isolated one
    Inactive

isolated one HB User
    From what you've described, it sounds as though your child does have trouble with attention and focus. However, this new "condition" ADD (or ADHD) is being over diagnosed, resulting in more and more children being put on medication (Just coincidence?). If they attempt to put your child on any ADD meds, I strongly suggest doing some web research to find out just how harmful these drugs can be. Remember, the drug companies are motivated by "profit". I wouldn't simply assume that your best interests are their highest priority. Anyway, I haven't heard too much about Ginkgo Biloba being used for this condition, though it may help in theory because it increases blood circulation. One draw back with this herb is that it has to be taken for 4 to 6 weeks before results are noticed and I don't know how safe it is for children. One possible herb you may want to research is German Chamomile. It's one of the few herbs believed to be safe for children as long as there is no specific allergy to Chamomile. This allergy is rare but very serious. There are stronger herbs for helping with attention and stress but I wouldn't suggest giving them to a child. I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by gar fla (edited 01-13-2003).]

Old 01-16-2003, 03:39 PM   #3
    HumanSpirit
    Inactive

HumanSpirit HB User
    I agree with Gar. Too many kids and alot bogus research. Take a search vehicle to anti-mental health or read about add/adhd. There is alot more to the story of forced diagnosing of children with ADD/ADHD and other bogus mental illnesses for Federal moneys alloted to the states for the school districts. Check out the "Bounty Hunters Act" enacted by Congress which stopped the advertizing of the mental health and counseling industry and placed penalities and restrictions on the them.

Old 02-28-2003, 02:46 AM   #4
    Iloveseung

Iloveseung HB User
    Ginko Biloba is excellent in increasing cerebral perfusion. I recommend taking 6-8 focus factor daily. In 2 weeks there will most likely be a remarkable change.

Old 02-28-2003, 09:09 AM   #5
    Farmer Sue Tickle

Farmer Sue Tickle HB User
    You might also want to take a harder look at their eating habits. I spent a few days with my nieces and nephews over Christmas and they did nothing but eat bread and chocolate. When they ate they became hyperactive and aggressive and within a few hours they crashed, until they ate again. This would happen 2-3 times per day.

How much soda do they drink (diet or non-diet)? How regular are their eating habits? How much carbohydrate do you think they eat compared to protein and good fats like fish, avocado, nuts, seeds, etc ? Of course kids are very hard to get to eat properly but there are inroads you can make if this truly is to blame.

Old 03-18-2003, 08:53 AM   #6
    susgan

susgan HB User
    I have a son with ADD and LD. He has been on 3 different stimulants for many years. We recently said enough to this. Now I know some kids need this to survive, I am not against it if it truly helps a child. Self esteem is an issue we are dealing with and mild depression. He has failed so many test, and was sick of taking the meds. as he didn't like the wasy it made him feel, so we listened.

I have started my son on Gingko, and he loves how it makes him feel..alert, awake, and is better able to concentrate. We are also going to start fish oil as soon as come home from the store, as the ADD/ADHD board was just saying how wonderful it has been for their children.

We also had him tested with a behavioral optomitrist. Wow, what she found was so amazing to us,and we don't have all the results yet. But this is the most encouraged we all have been in a very long time. Between the 3 items I feel a very bright future for my son.

Each parent has to do what is right for their child, to give drugs or not to will always be in debate. I just feel for us drugs could not be an answer any longer. BUT, if a child succeeds and feels great about themselves, passes school, smiles, plays, and does all the things that a kid should be doing, then in my opinion a parent needs to medicate. They may not like the idea of doing it, as we always hated it, but believe me it is a very HARD road to walk. Unless you have been there it is always easier to say what you would or wouldn't do. It's like a childless man/woman giving parental advice to a male/female parent.

Just my opinions, my thoughts and good luck to all

Susan

Old 03-18-2003, 03:49 PM   #7
    kat721
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kat721 HB User
    Music Lessons, in particular the Piano, is better for ADD than either medicines made of an herbal substance or medicines made of Pharmeceutical substances.
    Also any physical activity that requires right and left side body coordination for balance.
    With ADD diet does play an important factor but it is not the total of the therapies needed.
    ADD is a complicated problem. I don't think children are being over diagnosed. I just think the right therapies for the long term handling of the problem have yet to be discovered with the best results.
    I've raised an ADHD child. We did medicine for the short term regulation of the brain and eased into other therapies that later allowed the medication to be stopped.
    However, in the initial difficult stage a certain amount of medicine intervention was needed and it turned out to be a useful and helpful tool while working on the repatterning needs.
    we also took into account of the real benefit of stimulent meds and eventually just went to a small amount of coffee with milk for breakfast. That also worked well. It didn't take much and the beverage turned out to be mostly milk with some cinnamon sprinkled on top.
    kat

Old 03-18-2003, 04:02 PM   #8
    kat721
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kat721 HB User
    One more thought, Have your child checked for either diabetes or hypoglycemia.
    You'd be surprised how much blood sugar problems look like ADD or ADHD. I don't have any stats on how many kids with ADD/ADHD also have blood sugar problems.
    There is a specific Glucose Tolerance Test that a lot of Doctors miss in the Diagnosis process.
    That particular test is a very good indicator of the blood sugar reality either hyper or hypo.
    I agree with the earlier post on not really knowing the way to deal with the problem unless one has been down the difficult road of coping with an ADD/ADHD child. It's rough. No one ever knows how rough until they have walked a mile in a mothers shoes.
    In the ADHD case it might be "run a mile" because when they are very small and lack sufficient reasoning it's run as fast as you can to catch them before they run out in front of a truck after they have wiggled loose from a hand hold and something (probably shiney) in the path of danger has caught their fancy.
    Yes, they do grow up and we do survive.
    Hang in there,
    kat

Closed Thread