It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board

Homeopathic or Herbal Treatments for GERD, etc?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2003, 03:03 PM   #1
starling80
(male)

starling80 HB User
Question Homeopathic or Herbal Treatments for GERD, etc?

I've not yet been to my DO/MD to have this checked out (takes forever to get in to the Dr, these days!), but am wondering if there are other approaches I can take on my own, or with the assistance of someone qualified. My symptoms are esophogus spasms, feeling like I have something small stuck in my throat (doesn't inhibit swallowing, just a sensation), some heartburn, gas pain, and slight asthmatic symptoms (air hunger/shortness of breath). These are all greatly lessened by taking Zantax 75 2-3 times daily, but come back immediately when I skip a day or two. They're also not magnified at all by my current aerobic exercise (2-3 times per week). I have normal to slightly high blood pressure (135/85) - the machine at Wally World read 127/78 last night!

Any direction you all on this board can give me? I'm going to be very honest upfront and tell you that I'm not prone to sitting down and reading books about how this medication or herb or solution will affect my body...I leave that up to the people that can see the "big picture" of holistic health practices.

Thanks in advance! Definitely willing to give most anything a try while I'm waiting to see the good doctor in mid-September.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2003, 04:20 PM   #2
littlelulu1937
(female)

littlelulu1937 HB User
I think an "old folk remedy" is a teaspoon or tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water. I find that when I occasionally get "heartburn" after a particularly spicy meal, eating a big, juicy apple works quite well. And it's even good for you.

Old 08-26-2003, 11:35 PM   #3
Jana

Jana HB User
Hi - Just want to say I have GERD, diagnosed 3 years ago. Had bad heartburn prior to diagnosis and took lots of different natural digestive aids and also apple cider vinager, and other heart burn remedies.
By the time I went to the Dr. I had abraisions on the esophogus. Very serious. They took a biopsy and no cancer. Before you look into natural remedies go to your Dr for a check up to see exactly what the problem is. I went with the Dr recommendations and I just had another check up last week and the esophogus looks good and I'm taking half the dosage of med. Please get it checked out even if you feel it is minor. I had no idea my esophogus was being damaged to the point I could have gotten cancer. After you know the condition of the esophogus you can take remedies to help restore and heal it but also you may need to take something to prevent the stomach acid from damaging your esophogus like I did. I took med from the Dr. and drank Aloe Vera juice which I believe helped heal the esophogus, however, it would never have worked if the area continued to be damaged by stomach acid. By controlling the acid with medication from the dr. and then drinking the aloe vera juice the esophogus was able to heal. Now I can go a step further and work on taking med that is not as strong and eventually not take any at all.
I strongly urge you to get a diagnosis first then proceed to seek medication and healing.
Good Luck

Old 08-27-2003, 07:18 AM   #4
starling80
(male)

starling80 HB User
Talking

Thanks, Jana. I do actually have an appointment set up with my local Dr, but it's not until Sept 15th and I'm just looking for alternative ways to alleviating the spasms of my esophagus until I can be looked at. It's not a painful experience, but hate the fluttering sensations and "asthmatic" symptoms that persist if I don't take 3 Zantac75's every day. Personally, I'd rather not take meds unless the Dr tells me to, so if there are options available while I'm waiting to see him, then I'm open to suggestions.

Old 08-28-2003, 12:35 AM   #5
riceneuroni
Veteran

riceneuroni HB User
GERD can be caused by food allergies.

The most predominant of which is dairy. Have you eliminated all dairy for a week to see if you feel better?

IF that doesn't work, scratch that and eliminate another food. Wheat is the next biggest for allergic reactions.

Good luck with this.

Old 08-28-2003, 10:14 AM   #6
starling80
(male)

starling80 HB User
Lightbulb

I hadn't thought about a food allergy! I've eaten dairy and wheat products all my life, but I guess the allergy could just now be bad enough to cause problems, right? When I was first having the symptoms, my initial reaction was fear that I was having heart problems and I went on a vegan diet for a week...the symptoms basically were gone after that week, but I gradually went back to vegetarian and then back to small amounts of meat, lots of fruit and veggies, and some bread.

Maybe I'll completely eliminating dairy for awhile and see what happens. Gotta find an alternative to place on my cereal at work in the mornings, though! =)

Old 09-09-2003, 12:11 PM   #7
WhiskeyPie

WhiskeyPie HB User
Mary, are you there???

W.

Closed Thread