It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board

• anyone know about mucus cleansing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2003, 02:03 PM   #1
    ebrbetty
    (female)

ebrbetty HB User
    Question anyone know about mucus cleansing

I was searing around the web trying to find out why I have such LARGE amounts of mucus in my throat all day,every day and came across something called the mucusless diet and how some foods cause more mucus. does anyone know anything about this??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2003, 02:43 PM   #2
    mochi

mochi HB User
    I have the same problem with mucus, excect it is mostly in my sinuses and ears. It really bothers me. I have read alot about mucus-reducing diets. I ahve totally cut out dairy and simple sugar from my diet, which is helping quite abit. I am also avioding all allergens incluing, wheat, alchol, soy, corn, nuts and yeast. It's tough, but it's worth it. Herbs also help, all warming herbs, and drinking ALOT of fluids, including hot tea and broth. You may be allergic to one or more of these foods. Good luck! It's tough, but you can do it! I'd love to hear what works for you.

Old 09-22-2003, 09:19 PM   #3
    Chrislynn

Chrislynn HB User
    mochi-

What herbs in particular do you take that reduce the mucus? I am going to do some research on these diets for decreasing the mucus/post nasal drip. I keep hearing wheat products, oh no I love wheat! and I love dairy too but I have drastically reduced that in my diet but it has really not made a difference.

Old 09-23-2003, 05:48 AM   #4
    ebrbetty
    (female)

ebrbetty HB User
    i stoppped coffee, i stopped cream,milk. i eat low fat, no fried food. i even switched from white bread to wheat bread. now i hear wheat bread can cause more mucus,so what kind of bread can i eat??

mochi, i'mm also interested in what kind of herbs you think may help and how to use them.

chrislynn, i love dairy too,could live on cheese! i stoppped eating it and like you still having tons of mucus. My ENT keeps telling me it's coming from my stomach acids,and i take 800mgs tagament a day

Old 09-23-2003, 12:58 PM   #5
    RageOfAngels
    Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
    Non-mucous-forming foods include fresh vegetables and fruits, whole grains like brown rice, millet, and quinoa, cultured foods like yogurt, high vitamin C foods like citrus and berries, seafoods, and fundamental sulphur from cabbage, onions and garlic. It would also help to get plenty of essential fatty acids from omega-3 oils like flax, sea greens and spinach.

To get rid of mucous, you should avoid preserved and canned foods, sugary foods, caffeine, meats, dairy products, and any food allergen. Typical food allergens are wheat, corn, soy, eggs, and diary. Wheat and any other gluten-containing grain (such as bleached, white wheat or whole wheat, oats, rye, spelt, barley, amaranth) is highly mucous-forming and typically a very common allergen for many people. Some alternatives are oat flour, brown rice flour and quinoa.

Alternatives to dairy include soymilk, rice milk, almond milk. Optional sweeteners include stevia, honey, molasses, real maple syrup, and brown rice syrup.

The following herbs may also offer you some excellent relief: Stinging Nettle (Urtica dioica) is a natural anti-histamine, and an astringent (draws moisture from the body). Stinging nettle is also extremely high in minerals, chlorophyll and proteins, and can bring about a more alkaline state (countering acidity) and it tends to flush excess uric acid out of the system, which can help with joint pain. The more acid you are, the more of a tendency for mucous and congestion your body may exhibit. You can drink nettle tea or get it in a capsule form or liquid tincture.

Ginger Root is also a good one to counter mucous. It increases circulation and clears excess mucous. Ginger tea or the liquid extract are the best ways to take this one.

Garlic is also used by herbalists to clear congestion, fight bacteria, fungus and viruses. The raw cloves of garlic or a freeze-dried capsule made from the fresh clove are good.

Another good supplement to consider is activated quercitin. This is a bioflavanoid which works very much like stinging nettle in countering the histamine reaction in the sinuses.

Old 09-23-2003, 01:49 PM   #6
    mochi

mochi HB User
    Wink

Hi guys!
    I use all the herbs that were just listed, but also anything warm, like cinnamen, which also curbs your craving for swwets, peppermint, curry, garlic, onion, rosemary, thyme, pepper, fenugreek, and especially cayenne pepper! I like adding them to hot veggie broth. But I also make tea. Nettle is also very good to take, and i take flax oil.
    Also, I would cut out ALL dairy, but if you realy are craving something, goats milk is easier to digest for most people.
    For bread and pasta and grains, there are alot of rice bread and pasta products available at health food stores. I usually get yeast free wheat free spelt or rye bread, which are glutonous, but they don't seem to bother me. They are always in a refidgerated section. I would highly suggest trying quinioa if you haven't. It is a grain, available at health food stores, it's easy and quick to cook, very yummy, and has the highest protien of any grain! Amaranth is also good. Good luck!

Old 09-23-2003, 03:30 PM   #7
    ebrbetty
    (female)

ebrbetty HB User
    thank-you both for your replys. you have given me some great info. I will need to print it out since I know nothing about herbs.
    a couple more questions if you don't mind?
    where do I get stinging nettle?[the name scares me!] if it flushes uric acid out of the system will that help an ulcer?
    also, can I get a good bread at a regular grocery store? what should I look for it to say/not say?
    thanks a bunch for all the help
    Betty

Old 09-23-2003, 05:30 PM   #8
    Sarah68
    Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
    Talking

The other name for stinging nettle is Urtica Urens. This is stinging nettle in homeopathic potency and is useful for all types of itching and allergy reactions, especially shell fish allergy.

Old 09-23-2003, 07:05 PM   #9
    mochi

mochi HB User
    elderbetty-
    I doubt that you will be able to find nettle or "good bread" at a regular grocery store. You can find both at a good health food store. Also, stingging nettle grows wildly in some parts of the country, so you may be able to pick it. I would buy it dried, so you can make tea out of it. And, it only stings when it is still growing. If you can get frsh nettle, which you have to pick wearing thick gloves, it ia wonderful to cook and eat. I hope that helps. As for what you want to lok for in breads, i would say as little as possible. The less ingredients, the better. If you are trying to get rid of mucus, get a bread that is wheat and yeast free. Rice bread is best, but there are other kinds. It tastes different, so you'll have to get used to it.

Old 09-24-2003, 05:11 AM   #10
    ebrbetty
    (female)

ebrbetty HB User
    mochi, Thank-you for taking the time to answer my questions. I thought I bought the nettle in a pill form or liquid. when I checked GNC it was pill form.
    I have a all natural grocery store not too far from here, I will go tomorrow afternoon and take a look.
    I thought I was doing so well when I finally switched from white bread to wheat last year, I was always under the impression wheat was very good for us.

p.s. I'll look for ginger tea also, I read that is also something I should try.
    thanks to all for the help.
    Betty

Old 09-24-2003, 10:27 AM   #11
    littlelulu1937
    (female)

littlelulu1937 HB User
    Before !'d make any diet changes, I'd look into the possibility of active trigger points in your Sternocleidomastoid Muscle, which encompasses your mastoid bone, clavicle & sternum.

Trigger points in muscle have been shown to have four effects: referral pain, balance problems, visual disturbances & systemic symptoms. I'll quote info on the last effect from my trigger point reference book:

"A fourth group of symptoms of sternocleidomastoid trigger points is even stranger, involving the generation of excess mucus in the sinuses, naval cavities and throat. They can be A simple explanation for your sinus congestion, sinus drainage, glop in the throat,chronic cough, rhinitis, and persistent hay fever or cold symptoms".

If your excess mucus problem are caused by trigger points in the subject muscle, a short massage regimen to that muscle could likely clear it up...I'd sure try it first before changing my epicurian lifestyle.

Old 09-24-2003, 11:56 AM   #12
    RageOfAngels
    Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
    I disagree heavily with the above poster - a diet change is essential whether or not you check out these "points." Otherwise that is like saying your car has sewer sludge in the tank, but "don't worry, just fix the brakes and it will run fine." It will not run fine, because what is going into it is continually bringing death instead of life. Certain foods and food allergies bring illness to some people, and no amount of acupuncture, massage, aromatherapy, etc. will make up for what your diet is doing to harm you. You cannot keep eating stuff that harms your body and expect your health to change without changing what goes into your body.

Old 09-24-2003, 12:16 PM   #13
    Sarah68
    Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
    Talking

I would tend to agree with that too.

Old 09-24-2003, 01:30 PM   #14
    littlelulu1937
    (female)

littlelulu1937 HB User
    Well since youhavent tried it, how would you know? I at least tried acupucture several times before rejecting it out of hand. I only wish I could try this method myselfbut fortunately have never suffered any kind of sinus problem or food or other allergy,so I cant check it out. However, since itdoen't cost anything (one can no doubt get a copy of Mr. Davies book from the public library if one doesnt care to purchase it), I'd certainly give it a college try before shelling out money for those horribly-sounding food "remedies" mentioned heretofore.

Old 09-24-2003, 02:20 PM   #15
    Sarah68
    Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
    Talking

I do not remember seeing anyone mention anything about food 'remedies'.

I think that the point that was being made was you do need to take care about what you eat and eat a well balanced and healthy diet for other forms of treatment to be effective.

If you carry on eating 'junk' food, then other treatment options may not be as effective as if you are well nourished. If you eat junk all the time, you cannot expect to be well nourished.

Closed Thread