It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board

• Natural ways to deal with/correct a hyper thyroid (^t3, t4)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2004, 02:02 PM   #1
    Mara

Natural ways to deal with/correct a hyper thyroid (^t3, t4)

Can anyone suggest natural ways to control and reduce T4 & T3 elevations? I have a history of suppressed tsh with normal t's (then I was losing wt, systolic was on elevated, nervous, elevated temps, sweating, trouble sleeping). In the last year the tsh has been normal but the t4 was up with normal T3 and then mild elevated t3. These elevations (tests) have been taken from the summer through december. This time I have more muscle pain, tremor/cramps/pain, temps have been low end then rise, both systolic and diastolic up, or just the diastolic.

The symptoms that have been most troubling is the...
    #1) muscle problems (pain, twitch, cramps, tremor, tingling sometimes numbness, when it was at its worst I had alternating bells palsy/weakness and briefly limp leg.
    #2) off and on palpetations/flutterings, ^bp, rapid pulse, temperature fluxuations, flushing,
    #3) irritability, trouble sleeping, moody (highs or lows)
    #4) Skin itchiness & dryness.

I take a cal/mag & reg. supplament, omega 3 fish oil, valerian (to help the twitching) low sodium quinine tonic at night (for leg cramps), potassium salt substitute, eliminated aspartame from diet & microwave use 4/03, I don't eat processed foods, I cook and bake from scratch (to avoid preservatives etc), went to olive oil and stopped using vegy oil 4/03, will be eliminating margarine and substituting it w/coconut oil, will cut down peanut butter.

The symptoms vary. There are times they lessen, but they return and I don't know what else to do or try. I am trying to correct things naturally. Even with slight elevations. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2004, 07:51 AM   #2
    isolated one
    Inactive

isolated one HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Natural ways to deal with/correct a hyper thyroid (^t3, t4)

There's an herb called Lemon Balm (also called Melissa). It's a mild sedative which is known to slow down thyroid activity. To what extent this would be, I can't say for sure. I suggest doing some research on lemon balm to see if it's right for you.

Old 01-29-2004, 11:20 AM   #3
    Mara

Re: Natural ways to deal with/correct a hyper thyroid (^t3, t4)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by isolated one
    There's an herb called Lemon Balm (also called Melissa). It's a mild sedative which is known to slow down thyroid activity. To what extent this would be, I can't say for sure. I suggest doing some research on lemon balm to see if it's right for you.

I will check into it and ppreciate your suggestion, thanks.

Old 01-30-2004, 07:44 AM   #4
    girlygirly
    Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Soy is also known to slow down your thyroid.

Old 02-02-2004, 10:33 AM   #5
    Mara

Quote:
    Originally Posted by girlygirly
    Soy is also known to slow down your thyroid.
    Thanks GG. I will have to look more into soy product. I have come accross some conflicting info and am not sure what to do but will research it further. I tried the soy milk and was not sure about it. I have fibro too, so am trying to follow a diet that will help the thyroid calm and tame fibro. Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-02-2004, 02:27 PM   #6
    girlygirly
    Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gemi
    Thanks GG. I will have to look more into soy product. I have come accross some conflicting info and am not sure what to do but will research it further. I tried the soy milk and was not sure about it. I have fibro too, so am trying to follow a diet that will help the thyroid calm and tame fibro. Thanks for the reply.
    Just a FYI, in the PDR the manufacturers of Synthroid suggest that when babies are given synthroid that it should not be done with soy baby formula. That clearly shows that Synthroid knows something about the connection.

Have you had your thyroid antibodies levels tested?

Old 02-13-2004, 12:53 PM   #7
    Mara

Quote:
    Originally Posted by girlygirly
    Just a FYI, in the PDR the manufacturers of Synthroid suggest that when babies are given synthroid that it should not be done with soy baby formula. That clearly shows that Synthroid knows something about the connection.

Have you had your thyroid antibodies levels tested?

No thyroid antibodies have been tested since my last endocrinologist visit was a few yrs ago and I don't recall which ones they were. I just made an appointment to see one & I have to wait until 3/13. Based on what's happening recently I'm not sure it can wait...Couldn’t sleep, had to sit up felt like something heavy was sitting on me & hard to breath like asthma etc and my BP was 102/88 then 10 min later 108/82, out of breath, took deep breaths to get oxygen. I was not feeling good, conserving energy. I rested on my side...I was up most of the night with that. Anyway, the tightness has lessened but is still here and its been that way for ~3 days, feels like a burp that wants to happen but no gas and its straight across the chest. I was urged to call the doc and finally did. I made that appt. and told the gal briefly what was happening and she said with that don't wait get it checked out right away...The headache is coming back again (had a break from it yesterday). I took aspirin about an hour ago and am not stomaching that too well. If this tight feeling is still with me tomorrow I'll go to the GP…I hope they do something and not make me run around to so many doctors. I'm praying for that anyway. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Gemi; 02-13-2004 at 12:54 PM.

Closed Thread