It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board

• Calcium and Magnesium Supplements

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2004, 07:59 AM   #1
    Bob2
    (male)

Bob2 HB User
    Calcium and Magnesium Supplements

I have a question on this subject. Is it acceptable to take only a magnesium supplement or should the supplement be balanced with twice as much calcium as magnesium. I am currently taking a supplement with magnesium citrate in it and no calcium. The citrate type of magnesium is supposed to be more absorbable than other types.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2004, 09:01 AM   #2
    dagmarharris

dagmarharris HB User
    Re: Calcium and Magnesium Supplements

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bob2
    I have a question on this subject. Is it acceptable to take only a magnesium supplement or should the supplement be balanced with twice as much calcium as magnesium. I am currently taking a supplement with magnesium citrate in it and no calcium. The citrate type of magnesium is supposed to be more absorbable than other types.
    Curious, what you are taking it for? I am also taking one Magnesium capsule, but also with seperate calcium capsules. I am a woman, though, and we need it as we get older. I am also helping it will relax my tight shoulder muscles...
    So what is your reason for taking it, if I may ask? curious....
    also be careful with magnesium, as it can make your stools loose if you take too much...
    dagmar

Last edited by dagmarharris; 02-04-2004 at 09:02 AM.

Old 02-04-2004, 10:40 AM   #3
    Bob2
    (male)

Bob2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagmarharris
    Curious, what you are taking it for? I am also taking one Magnesium capsule, but also with seperate calcium capsules. I am a woman, though, and we need it as we get older. I am also helping it will relax my tight shoulder muscles...
    So what is your reason for taking it, if I may ask? curious....
    also be careful with magnesium, as it can make your stools loose if you take too much...
    dagmar
    I take the magnesium because I was getting nervous and jumpy after I had to start taking a diuretic named maxide to help control my high blood pressure. About a month or 2 after starting the diuretic, I noticed that unexpected noises would make me jump out of my skin so to speak. I had never been prone to do this before unless it was a really loud noise. I did a lot of searching on the Internet to find out the cause of this jumpiness and learned enough to draw the opinion that the diuretic was depleting my magnesium. Almost immediately after starting the magnesium, the jumpiness went away. My doctor, who prescribed the maxide, thought it was interesting that the magnesium stopped the jumpiness. He did not think that the diuretic could be causing depletion of magnesium. It's interesting that you bring to my attention that magnesium can cause loose stools. I have been taking the magnesium for at least two years without a problem until recently. I've been having loose stools once or twice a week lately. I take a manesium pill three time per day. I will reduce that to two times a day and see if the loose stools go away. I was just thinking about what could be causing the loose stools just before I read your reply. Thanks for jogging my memory.

I am a 61 year old male, with many of the problems to expect from leading too inactive a life. Now that I have physical problems, I take 2 mile walks every day. I believe I have improved my health some from this.

Old 02-09-2004, 02:44 PM   #4
    Mara

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bob2
    There is a ratio established but don't recall exactly what it is but recall it is less and not double...2:1 ?Since your taking hbp medication I'd check with the doc and see if a cal. supplement would affect your heart and if not what doseage he would recommend based on your personal information, body demand, ht/wt etc.

Old 02-09-2004, 05:18 PM   #5
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Bob2,

Actually, I'm surprised that your doctor found it so interesting that the magnesium relieved your nervousness. He should have known about this, but then again, how much do doctors really know about nutrition? Anyway, Maxzide is a diuretic, and diuretics increase urinary excretion of magnesium. One of the symptoms of low levels of magnesium is nervousness. So it makes sense that you should notice an improvement by taking extra magnesium.

Old 02-25-2004, 07:17 PM   #6
    mary b.

mary b. HB User

Magnesium and calcium are equal in the body. You need just as much as one of the other. 1:1 ratio. You could be sure you are drinking milk or add a calcium supplement.
    Magnesium is wonderful for the immune system as well as the nerves and PMS.

Old 02-25-2004, 07:41 PM   #7
    plymouth
    Veteran

plymouth HB User

I understand the correct ratio to be 3:1 calcium:magnesium.

Last edited by plymouth; 02-25-2004 at 08:26 PM.

Old 02-28-2004, 09:47 AM   #8
    Iz2daIzzy

Iz2daIzzy HB User

There is a much higher levels of calcium in the bones than magnesium, which is why some people suggest a 2:1 or even 3:1 ratio of calcium to magnesium.
    However, there is a higher amount of magnesium present in other cells of the body, so that the total body ratio of calcium:magnesium is closer to 1:1.
    Seeing as most people get far more calcium in their diet than magnesium, you could get away with taking more magnesium in terms of supplements than calcium. Personally, I don't take calcium, since I get a lot of it from my diet.
    I do, however, take 600mg magnesium citrate per day.

Closed Thread