It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board

• thick mucus in throat,need help please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2004, 02:54 PM   #1
    ebrbetty
    (female)

ebrbetty HB User
    Unhappy thick mucus in throat,need help please

hi all, well it's been one year of misery. i have thick PND 24/7. it is so thick i can't cough it up. as the day goes on it becomes very painful in my throat. sometimes I can cough a bit up, it's clear w/be-be like balls,very thick and sticky.
    i have had 2 sinus surgerys in the last year.the last one was 4 weeks ago,my ent went in and cleaned out the sinus under my right eye. when i went back to see him 3 weeks after surgery he said the ct scan showed it is not infected,but the area he cleaned out is already swollen and filled up again. he said he's lost,doesent know whats wrong and causing all this thick pnd.
    he suggested some sort of allergy,i was tested and came back only feathers. he said it could still be a allergy?? i don't sneeze,or have red itcy eyes just the thick,painful pnd.
    can anyone help?? i can't live this way anylonger
    i tried garlic and all natural stuff for yeast,thinking that was the problem.no help. I was thinking of trying an all natural med but when i search around online i get too many different answers.
    thank-you so much
    betty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2004, 08:10 AM   #2
    Juby
    (female)

Juby HB User
    Re: thick mucus in throat,need help please

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrbetty
    hi all, well it's been one year of misery. i have thick PND 24/7. it is so thick i can't cough it up. as the day goes on it becomes very painful in my throat. sometimes I can cough a bit up, it's clear w/be-be like balls,very thick and sticky.
    i have had 2 sinus surgerys in the last year.the last one was 4 weeks ago,my ent went in and cleaned out the sinus under my right eye. when i went back to see him 3 weeks after surgery he said the ct scan showed it is not infected,but the area he cleaned out is already swollen and filled up again. he said he's lost,doesent know whats wrong and causing all this thick pnd.
    he suggested some sort of allergy,i was tested and came back only feathers. he said it could still be a allergy?? i don't sneeze,or have red itcy eyes just the thick,painful pnd.
    i tried garlic and all natural stuff for yeast,thinking that was the problem.no help. I was thinking of trying an all natural med but when i search around online i get too many different answers.
    thank-you so much
    betty
    I have a similar problem only I can cough mine up, but I am always coughing. I have had two sinus surgeries also. One was called a Caldwell Luc and the other was the draining thing. I've been tested for about everything and gone the whole allergy route, tests, shots and pills. I am allergic to a lot of things though. I'm very sensitive to medications so I'm trying the homeopathic things now. I am taking Allergy sinus relief by NatraBio and it seems to lessen the mucus. It's very cheap and doesn't seem to have any side effects. I am going to look for something to help thin the mucus also. Someone advised me to drink a lot of water so I am doing that too. I know how miserable you feel.

Old 02-26-2004, 02:08 PM   #3
    ebrbetty
    (female)

ebrbetty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oobagah
    I have a similar problem only I can cough mine up, but I am always coughing. I have had two sinus surgeries also. One was called a Caldwell Luc and the other was the draining thing. I've been tested for about everything and gone the whole allergy route, tests, shots and pills. I am allergic to a lot of things though. I'm very sensitive to medications so I'm trying the homeopathic things now. I am taking Allergy sinus relief by NatraBio and it seems to lessen the mucus. It's very cheap and doesn't seem to have any side effects. I am going to look for something to help thin the mucus also. Someone advised me to drink a lot of water so I am doing that too. I know how miserable you feel.
    thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I am going insane w/ this. could you tell me please where you get the allergy sinus relief? you say it helps some? It just drives me nuts that a dr. can't figure this out!! if you come across ANYTHING that helps you please let me know.
    Betty

Old 02-26-2004, 09:16 PM   #4
    Vistas
    (male)

Vistas HB User

Hi there, as an alternative I use turmeric powder mixed with honey first thing in the morning and last thing at night, just put a half a teaspoon of turmeric powder mixed in honey on a spoon and lick it off the spoon .The turmeric is a natural anti inflamatory and anti septic and with the honey it coats the back of the throat and releives the problem. Hope i works for you

Old 02-27-2004, 08:10 AM   #5
    ebrbetty
    (female)

ebrbetty HB User

thank you

Old 03-08-2004, 08:07 PM   #6
    NerfHead
    Inactive
    (male)

NerfHead HB User

Hey Betty,

Are you staying away from ALL dairy products? If not, please consider that.

It would be a great idea to look into "nasal irrigation". I do this every night. I use a sinus irrigator tip($20) along with a water pick($35). Mix 3teaspoons of non-iodized salt with 1quart of warm water and run half through one nostril, then the other. It's a tad uncomfortable at first but I have NEVER had a sinus problem since using sinus irrigation. Also, sinus irrigation is a very popular alternative therapy that many doctors use with their patients who suffer from Post Nasal Drip.

Dehydration can cause thicker mucus, so the more water you drink the thinner the mucus will become.

Old 03-09-2004, 04:07 AM   #7
    ebrbetty
    (female)

ebrbetty HB User
    Unhappy Re: thick mucus in throat,need help please

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NerfHead
    Hey Betty,

Are you staying away from ALL dairy products? If not, please consider that.

It would be a great idea to look into "nasal irrigation". I do this every night. I use a sinus irrigator tip($20) along with a water pick($35). Mix 3teaspoons of non-iodized salt with 1quart of warm water and run half through one nostril, then the other. It's a tad uncomfortable at first but I have NEVER had a sinus problem since using sinus irrigation. Also, sinus irrigation is a very popular alternative therapy that many doctors use with their patients who suffer from Post Nasal Drip.

Dehydration can cause thicker mucus, so the more water you drink the thinner the mucus will become.
    hello,thank you for your reply. yes, I do have a nasal irrigation. I use this 3 times a day,it helps a little. I have been dealing with this for over a year and am at the point were I am becoming disabled because of it. I just saw ANOTHER dr. who has no idea what this could be.
    I was hoping someone here may know?

Old 03-09-2004, 05:15 AM   #8
    NatApoth2003
    Inactive

NatApoth2003 HB User

Take a look into Air Power, it contains (among other things) Fenugreek which will thing the mucus. If it is an allergy of unknow origins, consider NAC. M

Old 03-09-2004, 05:45 AM   #9
    ebrbetty
    (female)

ebrbetty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NatApoth2003
    Take a look into Air Power, it contains (among other things) Fenugreek which will thing the mucus. If it is an allergy of unknow origins, consider NAC. M
    this may be a dumb question but what is air power????
    and what is NAC??
    thank you!

Old 03-09-2004, 05:48 AM   #10
    NatApoth2003
    Inactive

NatApoth2003 HB User

NAC is N-Acetyl Cysteine and Air Power is the name of a product. Do a search, you'll find both exactly as stated. M

Old 03-09-2004, 05:52 AM   #11
    ebrbetty
    (female)

ebrbetty HB User

thank-you very much, I'll check it out

Old 03-09-2004, 07:39 PM   #12
    Halo31

Halo31 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrbetty
    thank-you so much
    betty
    Hi Betty,

I have been fighting the thick mucous for 7 years now, but I have found relief in many alternative therapies. First I expired western medicine. I had the sinus surgery and ended up with one heck of a sinus infection that lasted 5 months. It was a horrific time in my life. Okay... so what types of anti-yeast meds did you try? Candidase is an alternative medicine used for yeast , but it is all enzyme based. It works differently than the other anti-yeast therapies. I had to stop all decongestants and antihistamines. I was told by a naturopath it can set up a cycle and continue to keep the mucous thick. I did however keep taking the Guaifinessen syrup, but in low doses. I started on allergy shots to desensitize my allergens. The main thing is to boost up your immune system. I mean really boost it up and go on a yeast free diet. It is very hard to stick to at first, but well worth the inconvenience. Wow, I take so many supplements, it is hard to know where to start. Seasilver, grapefruitseed extract nosespray and capsules, Xlear (Xylitol) nosespray, Zinc glutonate, olive leaf extract, Lysine, and a ton of decaf hot green tea. I have at least 8 cups a day without sugar! Oh, avoiding alcohol is a big one. It seems to contribute to the thick mucous. Buy a personal steamer and use it 3x a day if possible for 15-20 minutes at a time. If you stay consistent with all of this, I promise it really did help!! It took me so many years to test different theories and supplements. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Hope this helps and hang in there!!

Halo

Old 03-11-2004, 07:58 AM   #13
    urantiagate

urantiagate HB User

Hi!

I haven't tried this myself yet -- I have had the throat mucous problem for about a year and just discovered the following:

It appears that the direct application of an 8:1 solution of bicarbonate of soda and water may work to cut the mucous. The problem is delivery. Gargling might work or shallow inhalations of an arosol, perhaps produced in a machine or hand nebulizer. It is also a possibility that the condition is related to an acid stomach, and that the bicarb used as an anti-acid might relieve the condition.

Has anyone actually used NAC for this? How did it work?

Peter

Last edited by moderator2; 03-11-2004 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Closed Thread