It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board

• Chromium picolinate

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-04-2004, 03:33 PM   #1
    Okira

Okira HB User
    Chromium picolinate

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I've heard good and bad. I'm taking an anti-depressant that seems to be having a very negative effect on my metabolism. Supposedly, CP is supposed to be helpful? Anybody? Thanks!
    Susan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2004, 04:35 PM   #2
    Just..Me

Just..Me HB User
    Re: Chromium picolinate

I had the same thing happen to me when I was on an antidepressant. Some naturals do not work well with synthetic drugs. Ask your pharmicist...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If you don't control your mind, someone else will."
    --John Allston

Old 07-24-2004, 07:04 PM   #3
    Katt Fink

Katt Fink HB User

I wish I could find the article explaining why CP doesn't work in the human body, but this will have to do.. please excuse my sketchy explanation, which goes soemthing like this:

The reason CP was put on the market as a weight loss supplement & fat/carb blocker was because in lab tests, it worked that way. However, the tested enzymes which responded to CP that were used in the lab tests are only actually present in humans' large (I think) intestines.. which, by the time the CP reaches that point, it has already passed the absorption stage of digestion and is on its way out. So if that research is accurate, I would say the best results you'd get from CP are no better than placebo.

Sorry I couldn't be of much positive help, but for what it's worth, I was on Risperdal & Effexor last year for a few months which made me gain about 70lbs.. so I definitely sympathize with you! Needless to say, I went right off those Satan pills because they were causing me more mental distress than I began with, lol. I'm currently taking Meridia, working out 3-5 times a week, and I'm on an awesomely healthy diet (healthy! not fad diet or crash diet! .. after an entire year of struggling to lose the extra weight, I seem to finally be having some success *knock on wood*

I really hope you find your solution! Weight gain during times of depression is especially difficult on one's already-compromised sanity. Best wishes and good luck, I feel for you!

Old 08-22-2004, 06:57 AM   #4
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

My hubby has been on and off the low carb diet for the last 4 yrs. to maintain the weight loss of 60lbs. he swears by Chromium Picolinate for energy and metabolisim. He takes 3 a day. Also I read that it is the only known supplement to help take bad metals out of the system...And for people predisposed to diabetes there is a GTF type of chromium...Glucose Tolerant Factor....that should be taken in the morning on an empty stomach. I took it when doing the carbohydrates addict diet. Do some reasearch on it then decide if it's the right choice for you. The intestines do absorb nutrients too.

Old 11-08-2004, 11:39 PM   #5
    Sharebear967
    (female)

Sharebear967 HB User

Katt Fink, not to sound so pessimistic to scientists (I was a biology major) but some lab results are often "curbed", altered or left out to support their OWN hypothesis or theory. Therefore it's best to look at repeated lab tests (i.e. many other articles) testing the same data and ask if they yield the same or similar results. About the chromium picolinate, my sister's bf has been getting great results taking 400mcg a day. His bowel movements are quite regular, if you know what I mean. I think that with supplements, it's all trial and error...just depends on your body.

Last edited by Sharebear967; 11-08-2004 at 11:41 PM.

Old 04-11-2005, 01:32 PM   #6
    kittyd

kittyd HB User

I take Chromium Picolinate and it works wonders for me!
    I would get strange low blood sugar attacks. Once I started taking the cp I was much better. I beleive it takes a few pounds off as well. when I stop cuz im lazy to go to the store and i keep forgetting I notice the pounds pile on. When Im on it they go back down.

Old 04-18-2005, 06:53 AM   #7
    ratboy83
    Inactive
    (male)

ratboy83 HB User

if the argument over a lack of absorption was to stand (which i'm not sure it does), you could just derive your chromium form food sources instead. nuts and seeds are a good source as is brewers yeast.

Closed Thread