It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board

• something for panic attacks?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-05-2004, 09:29 AM   #1
    TrippingAsIGo

TrippingAsIGo HB User
    something for panic attacks?

i got something called Nerve Control which helps alleviate the stress and tension in my neck (i think....) but will something like that help me with sudden panic attacks? is there something more usefull?
    any guidance? thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2004, 04:13 PM   #2
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
    Re: something for panic attacks?

[QUOTE=davesfancy]i had an old boss that swore by kava kava.
    i haven't tried it though.
    good luck
    heidi[/QUOTE

Please be careful with Kava Kava b/c there are reports that it can cause liver damage.

Old 03-05-2004, 05:38 PM   #3
    NatApoth2003
    Inactive

NatApoth2003 HB User

While kava can - with longer term use - have the potential to create some havoc with the liver, for the most part it is a relatively safe herb. The study that was done to give it a bad name was done in Belgium a couple years ago and was fairly flawed in that most of the subjects used in the study already had failing livers from past abuse of either alcohol or meds. Many manufacturers have eiher eliminated or reduced the % of extract in the kava, although there are still some good quality kava products out there with 30% kavalactones. The days of the 55% kavalactones are, for now, unavailable OTC. Not a good idea to use if one is drinking alcohol though (as well as anti-depressent meds). Generally it has a 20 minute breakdown time so it's quite useful for panic attacks and anxiety. Only last about 4 hours in the bloodstream though. M

Old 03-11-2004, 09:27 AM   #4
    urantiagate

urantiagate HB User

Hi!

For psychological stuff don't overlook Bach and other flower essence remedies. Get the one which best fits the description of your problem (likely Rock Rose and/or Aspen). Whether you believe in them or not homeopathic remedies really do work, and with virtually no side-effects.

Peter

Old 03-11-2004, 06:32 PM   #5
    montreal1951

montreal1951 HB User
    Smile Re: something for panic attacks?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by urantiagate
    Hi!

For psychological stuff don't overlook Bach and other flower essence remedies. Get the one which best fits the description of your problem (likely Rock Rose and/or Aspen). Whether you believe in them or not homeopathic remedies really do work, and with virtually no side-effects.

Peter
    I agree with Peter. Bach's Rescue Remedy is good for panic attacks and gelsemium sempervirens 9 ch is good for trembling attacks. Flower remedies and homeopathic remedies are non-toxic and do work.

Old 03-21-2004, 02:46 PM   #6
    anneh
    (female)

anneh HB Useranneh HB User
    Wink Re: something for panic attacks?

I use Enzymatic Therapy's Kava 55 and it helps alot for panic attacks. I usually take frequent doses of a Valerian/Passionflower tincture that I buy from hfs thru the rest of the day/night along with sipping on a glass of water every hour that I have added 4 drops Rescue Remedy to. The warning about Kava stems from someone who abused their liver with meds/alcohol etc and then used huge doses of Kava. Anything can hurt your liver including a whopper dose of Tylenol if taken too often. I'll take my chances with my herbs before I will submit to hard drug medications from the doctor
    anneh
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesfancy
    i had an old boss that swore by kava kava.
    i haven't tried it though.
    good luck
    heidi

Old 03-22-2004, 03:07 PM   #7
    isolated one
    Inactive

isolated one HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anneh
    I'll take my chances with my herbs before I will submit to hard drug medications from the doctor.

You got that right! If only the people taking these meds knew they act the same way as hard drugs.

I have OCD and anxiety. Kava, Scullcap and Valerian have helped quite a bit, though I'm always curious to try other herbs. I've recently discovered that Damiana helps. It's mainly known for being an aphrodisiac but another traditional use is for treating anxiety. It's more of a stimulant though and can cause a slight sense of physical restlessness.

Last edited by isolated one; 03-23-2004 at 08:50 PM.

Old 03-25-2004, 08:37 AM   #8
    auntchilada
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntchilada HB User

I tired Kava Kava, Valerian Root, and vitamin B-12 for my anxiety and OCD. None of it worked. Didn't even take the edge off. Everyone's different though!

Old 04-08-2004, 08:00 AM   #9
    sublimejg

sublimejg HB User

Good luck finding kava Kava..it has been removed from all the stores shelves..because ofl iver damageI have used valerian with alot of success in the past..It smells and tastes very gross/ would suggest swallowing quickly and dont increase the dosage or else you will just be raising your tolerence!!
    Good luck

Old 04-08-2004, 11:13 AM   #10
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

Hi cbond: Did you have to wean yourself off of the Xanax? I take a 0.25 mg Xanax before bed and sometimes that same dose once during the day for anxiety. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2004, 11:18 AM   #11
    esam

esam HB User

would taking a green tea supplement or drinking it have the same effect then also? can't say i've noticed any.........

Old 04-08-2004, 02:11 PM   #12
    NatApoth2003
    Inactive

NatApoth2003 HB User

subli, Kava is still available although some manufacturers have erred on the side of caution and profit losses (because of the study that perpeuated the liver damage fear). This study has been reevaluated a number of times and soon you will hear that the warning has been lifted (with caution) and production will again resume, though the 55% kavalactone is probably a thing of the past OTC. Professional lines may have that strength however. Should one choose to use kava be sure it contains (an lists it on the bottle) the percent of kavalactone, 30% being what is currently available, short-term use only, no alcohol and definitely no anti-depressant meds. M

Old 04-11-2004, 02:40 PM   #13
    dagmarharris

dagmarharris HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daisyheadmaisy
    I tired Kava Kava, Valerian Root, and vitamin B-12 for my anxiety and OCD. None of it worked. Didn't even take the edge off. Everyone's different though!
    So are you on a AD med now? I remember reading you post before, but I forget if you are currently on a meds. Sorry, I am on Celexa and it can make short term memory not so good. A Celexa moment we call it! It does help my OCD, though!

Old 04-11-2004, 02:41 PM   #14
    dagmarharris

dagmarharris HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunshine123
    Hi cbond: Did you have to wean yourself off of the Xanax? I take a 0.25 mg Xanax before bed and sometimes that same dose once during the day for anxiety. Thanks.
    Me too. I have taken Xanax for years...but since starting Celexa I don't seem to need it as much. How about you?
    On anything with it?
    ~dagmar

Old 04-11-2004, 02:42 PM   #15
    dagmarharris

dagmarharris HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrippingAsIGo
    i got something called Nerve Control which helps alleviate the stress and tension in my neck (i think....) but will something like that help me with sudden panic attacks? is there something more usefull?
    any guidance? thanks
    I also get stress tension in my neck. I have some arthritis in it, as well.
    What is in this Nerve control? Is it on the internet?
    ~dagmar

Last edited by dagmarharris; 04-11-2004 at 02:43 PM.

Closed Thread