It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board

• what / how can i add flax seeds / flax oil to my diet?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2004, 04:54 PM   #1
    TrippingAsIGo

TrippingAsIGo HB User
    what / how can i add flax seeds / flax oil to my diet?

i've read about using flax seeds but how should i go about adding them to what i eat? are they beneficial enough for me to even worry about adding them extra? i even saw flax oil sold at the pharmacy today. i read a post somewhere about adding ground flax seeds to a cake recipe instead of canola oil - how does that substitution work?

appreciate any help.
    thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2004, 01:51 AM   #2
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User
    Re: what / how can i add flax seeds / flax oil to my diet?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrippingAsIGo
    i've read about using flax seeds but how should i go about adding them to what i eat? are they beneficial enough for me to even worry about adding them extra? i even saw flax oil sold at the pharmacy today. i read a post somewhere about adding ground flax seeds to a cake recipe instead of canola oil - how does that substitution work?

appreciate any help.
    thanks
    You can also take 1 TBL of flax oil a day. Barleans is a very good company that sells flax and other oils at HFS.

Old 03-20-2004, 11:41 AM   #3
    Copper
    Inactive

Copper HB User
    Cool Re: what / how can i add flax seeds / flax oil to my diet?

Quote:

appreciate any help.
    thanks
    Hi Tripping,

Flax SEED is an excellent source of fiber. The oil of the seed is PACKED with Omega 3 fats, and some Omega 9's. Both very beneficial to good health. If you use the flax oil, you will still get the benefit of the Omegas, but not the fiber and/or demulcent qualities. The seed is VERY soothing to IBS sufferers.

The only problem with adding the seed to cake mix is that heat DESTROYS any benefit you would get from the oils.

Hope this helps,

Old 03-25-2004, 11:21 AM   #4
    Mara

Smile Re: what / how can i add flax seeds / flax oil to my diet?

Quote:
    appreciate any help.
    thanks

From what I've read (maybe my memory is going) but I've read you can't bake with the flax oil, that it's more a supplement then a baking oil substitute. I could see it being used over salad but not as a baking substitute.

I will be trying coconut oil. It is supposed to be thyroid friendly, does not store in fat cells the way others do and can be used when cooking and baking etc. Cold pressed extra virgin olive oil and olive oil (the darker the color of the oil the better)is another.

The ones I currently use are; extra virgin olive oil and reg. olive oil (cold pressed and darker in color preferably) and butter. I take an omega 3 fish oil supplement to achieve a healthy ratio and balance of omega 3's & 6's.

I eliminated aspartame & irradiated foods from my diet, 1 year come April, avoid processed foods and bake more with lt. and drk. brown sugar rather then white. I am learning more about certified organically grown foods and heading in that direction. Slowly, eventually but surely.

I recently selected Stoneyfields yogurt to my diet-it's certified organic, contains 6 active cultures (the only mfg. in the US who provides these 6), the cows are not injected with hormones, is natural, contains no chemicals, is delicious, creamy and does not have the aftertaste that I've found in others. It is well worth it. Sorry for trailing off the flax subject Take Care, Gemi

Last edited by Gemi; 03-25-2004 at 11:22 AM. Reason: tidy post :)

Old 03-27-2004, 10:52 AM   #5
    Copper
    Inactive

Copper HB User

Hi Gemi,

Before launching a campaign in favor of cocnut oil, may I suggest doing a search on the properties, benefits, and detriments of using tropicl oils? I have no memory for details, but DO recall reading that tropical oils can have SERIOUS negative effects on health.

just wanted to share that.

Old 03-27-2004, 11:03 AM   #6
    llamamuffinmama

llamamuffinmama HB User

flax oil is great for you and tastes fine added to steamed veggies (once they've been removed from the heat) or other warmed foods- you just don't want to expose it directly to high heat (i.e. don't sautee in it) because it is volatile and doesn't withstand direct heat.

flax seeds make a good egg substitute (binder) in baking. Since they are mixed into stuff there, they don't heat to the point of becoming unstable and retain the benefits. Here's how to make "flax eggs":

Put 1/3 cup whole flax seeds through a blender or food processor and blend into an even meal. slowly add a cup of water while blending. Blend until mixture resembles a thick milkshake. Pour through a strainer to remove seeds if you like. Transfer to a container and refrigerate for up to 6 days. Makes the equivalent of 6 eggs for baking (3 tablespoons of this mixture replaces one egg in a recipe).

Old 04-07-2004, 05:48 PM   #7
    SiberianLover
    (female)

SiberianLover HB User

I add ground flaxseed to my smoothies, and my mom puts them in everything...on her salads, yogurt, etc.

I also take a flax seed oil capsule at night every night.

Karina

Old 08-02-2004, 12:20 PM   #8
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

One thing when i tried adding flaxseed capsules to my daily routine to help with migraines etc, I had an unwanted side effect.. it weakened my bladder. I'm only 37 and have always had to cross my legs (if i'm standing) if i sneeze etc and in the month that i was on it it really got worse. My health practioner didnt' believe me but it did show up that it weakened my bladder. After i was off of it for a few days things were more normal. My mother was on that and some other oils for dry eyes. I told her about my symptoms and how they stopped.. she stopped the flaxseed oil and she noticed a difference. She just thought it was old age and having had a hysterectomy.

Just something to keep in the back of your mind..
    tracey

Old 08-03-2004, 11:28 AM   #9
    johnx

johnx HB User

Hey tracey, you should do kegel exercises to help you with your bladder. They are recommended for the elderly with incontinence, but I (male) have benefitted from doing them, too. I had never been real good at 'holding it', but after a few months of doing kegels, I was able to totally control when I went. It really is amazing!

off topic, but i hope it helps...

Old 08-06-2004, 08:16 PM   #10
    Rickhard
    Inactive

Rickhard HB User

What is a kegel exercise and how much or how often do you have to do it?

Old 08-06-2004, 08:33 PM   #11
    stacynb
    (female)

stacynb HB User

Flaxseeds you can bake, the oil you shouldn't. The oil is best mixed up in smooothies. The ground seeds are best in oatmeal. Coconut oil is not good for you, but can be good for the skin.
    Kegel exercises are done by strengthening your insides.. Gosh, I didn't really think men could do it... shows you how much I know. Usually women do it before birth to help with delivery and after to strengthen, and it helps control "accidents". It is done by contracting your muscles that you use when you stop yourself from urinating. You hold it for as long as you can, then repeat. That's the best way I can describe it.

Old 08-10-2004, 11:08 AM   #12
    Ruth6:11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

I bought flaxseed meal. (Some people grind their own flaxseed into meal)

I sprinkle it liberally over toast and then spread a thin layer of peanut butter over that.
    Also, you can add flaxseed meal to yogurt, salads, etc.

Old 08-12-2004, 11:42 AM   #13
    mvbech

mvbech HB User

I just read a blurb from Dr. Weil suggesting to avoid the oil as it may increase risk of prostate cancer. The ground seeds, however prevent it.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:19 PM   #14
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

kegels wouldnt' help me much. When i was a child they stretched my urethra so my bladder would empty more. Things are better now that i stopped the flaxseed caps.

Old 08-15-2004, 07:00 PM   #15
    alptraum
    Inactive

alptraum HB User

If you do get flaxseed oil, it goes rancid very easily, only buy the kinds that are refrigerated at the store and keep it refrigerated at home. Cooking with it of course will just make it rancid, so don't do this It has a rather strong nutty taste, many find it to be an aquired taste, I personally didn't think it was that bad at all.

The flax seed gives you the benefits of the oil but isn't nearly as perishable, plus has lots of fiber and some protein if I remember right. A lot easier to toss into stuff like cereal and yogurt and stuff like that, the oil will definately mess up the taste. Granted you probably have to eat a bit of seed to match the amount of Omega-3 in a serving of oil.

On another note, according to research fish oil actually has higher omega-3 content than flaxseed oil, however flaxseed oil also has lignans in it, which is currently being looked into for it's cancer preventive properties.

Closed Thread