It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board

• feeling tired and lethargic.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2004, 05:00 PM   #1
    esam

esam HB User
    feeling tired and lethargic.....

are there any recommendations anyone can make - i am so tired lately and am taking multi-vitamin. i know i need more sleep but with 3 kids it's just not happening right now! besides a good vitamin / mineral supplement what else can i do? i don't want to take something with caffeine in it.....are there other choices?

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2004, 10:56 PM   #2
    wackytoposthere
    Inactive
    (male)

wackytoposthere HB User
    Re: feeling tired and lethargic.....

There are a few herbs you could try to give you more energy. They are as follows:

Siberian Ginseng root has been traditionally used to treat hypoglycemia, lethargy, immune deficiency, and improve memory, appetite and general health.

Bee Pollen is used to treat allergies, to improve stamina and add longevity.

other herbs:

Peppermint
    Sage
    Garlic

Old 03-23-2004, 06:24 AM   #3
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

How is your eating? If you are not doing so already, getting enough protein and cutting back on refined, processed foods might help.

Old 03-23-2004, 02:48 PM   #4
    TrippingAsIGo

TrippingAsIGo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by auntjudyg
    How is your eating? If you are not doing so already, getting enough protein and cutting back on refined, processed foods might help.
    thanks for suggestions......my eating is pretty good. i started south beach diet beginning of Jan so i haven't had any processed white flour foods and i eat pretty many veggies and get enough protein.

that's why i didn't know what else to improve on or if i just need a little boost from something else. i think i take a decent multi-vit too.

Old 03-28-2004, 11:25 AM   #5
    isolated one
    Inactive

isolated one HB User

Cayenne capsules have been a great boost of energy for me. This herb is known for having many health benefits. I would first find out though if there are any possible interactions with medication or health concerns you may have, if you decide to take it.

Old 05-10-2004, 04:20 AM   #6
    lynn82
    (female)

lynn82 HB User

this is what hepled me:

take 1-2 tablespoons of flax oil a day.

drink apple cider vinegar 2 table spoons in water, 3 times a day (or whatever works for you)

seriously, do this for a week or two and you will notice a difference. someone even won a nobel prize for proving that vinegar gets rid of fatigue.

Old 05-13-2004, 04:39 AM   #7
    Stravinsk
    Inactive

Stravinsk HB User

Fatigue can have multiple causes.

For me, they are:

Eating high GI foods (burst of energy followed by insulin compensation (makes you feel tired))

Having less than optimal diet - especially foods that are combined in ways so that they are not digested efficiently - and alot of concentrated food (ie: anything but high water fruit and vegetables) - all this slows transit time and contributes to my body "dealing" with the food - especially if it is ill combined and rotting (look up "hay diet")

Drinking caffeine or products containing it.

Eating processed goods, esp those with sugar (as above)

What worked for me in a nutshell:

Proper food combining for digestion
    Fruit in the mornings and in-between meals
    High water veggies for lunch
    Animal protein (sometimes) at night(properly combined).
    No large meals or over-eating.

Plenty of water, and plenty of sleep. No caffeine, drugs (natural or pharmecuetical), little to no refined sugar, no dairy and little to no processed goods.

Old 05-14-2004, 08:00 AM   #8
    theREDshoes

theREDshoes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lynn82
    this is what hepled me:

take 1-2 tablespoons of flax oil a day.

drink apple cider vinegar 2 table spoons in water, 3 times a day (or whatever works for you)

seriously, do this for a week or two and you will notice a difference. someone even won a nobel prize for proving that vinegar gets rid of fatigue.
    I saw that about vinegar (apple cider vinegar). It seems somewhere it was recommended to use vinegar powder. I'm not sure what the difference is between using vinegar versus vinegar powder. Do you know if there is a difference between using the two? Also do you take it before meals? I think I read something like a half hour before meals. I don't know if it matters when you take it. I know that if heartburn is a problem (not for me) then vinegar is best taken with meals. I want to look into using vinegar further. Do you know of any good resources, books, web sites, etc.?
    Thanks

Last edited by theREDshoes; 05-14-2004 at 08:01 AM.

Old 05-16-2004, 12:40 AM   #9
    mikeb
    (male)

mikeb HB User

"Feeling tired and lethargic"...that's me!!!
    There's alot of good info to be had here, but... we all are very unique. We all are the same but at the same time very, very different. What might be good for one person maybe ineffective or "wrong" for another. Whether it be genetic, geographic, ethnic etc., we are all different. I've been dealing with fatigue issues for some time now and have tried many things. I've tried several fitness programs, many different supplements, fasting, acupuncture, reiki, hypnotherapy, etc. and each have had some positive effect... but not enough. I have come to the conclusion that we all need to be thuroughly examined/evaluated as an individual, before deciding upon a course of action. Sometimes self experimentation can prove to be effective, but I personally have waisted alot of time with this approach. I truely believe, that we all need to have our health/condition thuroughly evaluated (as an individual) before attempting a particular cure/procedure (my 2 cents). I've recently found a good alternative practitioner (Thomas A. Dorman, MD @ Paracelsus clinic www.Paracelsusclinic.com)) who has come highly recommended. His main focus is on complete health and wellbeing, witch I hope will be my answer. If you are able ($$$) and willing, my advice would be to seek out a good alternative doc. One that will look at your unique set of circumstances and advise accordingly. (if you do find an alt. doc., ask them about this book, "Eat right 4 your type" it seems to make alot of sense and it seems to be helping me (alot!))
    Good luck.

Life is a journey, enjoy the ride.

Old 05-16-2004, 08:52 AM   #10
    Path-To-Truth

Path-To-Truth HB User

This is my first post, so it is a bit winded. Firstly, don't be fooled by the lack of diagnostic attention paid by individuals in the medical profession to the many obvious ailments that plague many inhabitants of this earth. I have been suffering from feeling tired and lethargic for almost three years now since I first came down with blood poisoning from a ganglion cyst. All the doctors do is run blood tests and say that I am fine.

one of the last things my doctor said to me, after going over some bloodwork results from my last visit, was that my blood was a little thick (I also see that there are many other people who have been told of having thick blood and told to be fine with nothing to worry about, which may also be a pre-idicator of heart disease and stroke risk and should be looked into and monitored, more or less, depending on any grouping one may fall into. I was never told this). I asked what would cause this and she replied with a,"have you been drinking enough water?". I took that to be a brush-off and a non-answer.

To get to the point, I just discovered a couple days ago that I have symptoms of diabetes. I know this because I took my own blood sugar with my moms blood test unit and found my sugar count to be 180 at the highest point after two days of testing (normal is 80 to 120). That is not extremely bad but enough to make one ill (generally, maybe type 2 diabetes, which produces some insulin, but not enough). A couple of weeks ago I had an episode where I was feeling horible, but I did not have the idea to test my blood sugar then. I wish I had. I have been having simular, enhanced episodes of feeling bad with these symtoms, on and off, during the time I mentioned, reporting to the doctor with no resolve.

All of the symptoms of ... fatigue, general aches and pains, lethargicness, dizzyness, seemingly poor circulation, as well as thick blood (I have all of the above at different times and degrees, along with complaints of dry mouth and dry eyes) can be indicative of diabetes. I called the doctor to tell them of my discovery and they now present me with this new "urgent" concern. They want me to come in. I go tomorrow. I have been complaining and testing for over two years, resulting in the proverbial, "you are fine", sign waved in front of me while still feeling bad.

My doctors very last words to me from a physical four months ago were, "try not to think about it and stop trying to find a disease, you're OK". I was offended, to say the least. I KNOW what I feel like, and I was not IMAGINING it! Oh yeah, their standard prescription for me was some alergy medicine and anti-depressants, which I've discoverd is a norm for people complaining of chronic fatigue these days! I took them, at their insistance, for a while with no change in the way I was feeling. I have now stopped. The last thing anyone needs is added chemicals in their body which serve no purpose.

I now know that I have been feeling lousy because of symtoms of diabetes. All of my listed symtoms fall into place, including a family history of such, which my doctors knew. They missed the boat, and I am not FLATTERED! In closing, I believe there are many such people like myself and you need to dig deeper and insist on MAKEING your doctors perform, as you take for granted, they should. I don't know if there is a conspiracy or doctors simply pick and choose who they REALLY want to help. Some things are just medically obvious, and in my case, I believe all of my symtoms were just that, OBVIOUS! Especially for those who are supposed to be "IN-THE-KNOW", ie...DOCTORS! My sugar was in the "high normal" range when tested by doctors after fasting, (which I still find to be true when testing myself) but given the symtoms, and backround, they should have dug deeper and come around to that.

Case and point....An ex co-worker of mine came down with diabetes. He had been feeling bad in various ways including loss of weight. He kept going to the doctor and was told he was OK. He finally went to another doctor who immediately asked him if he knew he had diabetes. He told the doctor he'd been feeling bad for a time now and that the previous doctor never mentioned such a thing. The doctor he was speaking with went quiet.

Look out for YOURSELVES. You are your own best friend and the best tool at your hands, since the invention of internal cumbustion, is the internet. USE IT! I hope this has helped someone

Last edited by Path-To-Truth; 05-16-2004 at 09:24 AM.

Closed Thread