It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board

• Weird symptoms for about two years.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2004, 08:33 AM   #1
    Lectus
    (male)

Lectus HB User
    Weird symptoms for about two years.

Hiya all.

I've been around this board for quite a long time, testing the waters in various boards, trying to figure out (without medical coverage) what's wrong with me. I've had suspicions on diseases ranging from Lyme disease, to encephalitis, to whiplash, and have yet to find a completely fitting culprit to blame my sickness on. So at this point I'm thinking it must be more than one thing.

I was going to write up a little history, but decided I could get the idea across in a sort of outline, just as well.

In fall of 2002, these symptoms started popping up (in roughly this order). Just a note... I had a bit of a mental breakdown in the summer, which caused me intense stress:

Stiff neck
    A single flash of light crossing my field of vision from left to right (this happened once)
    Severe head fever (it felt like the outer layer of my brain was on fire.)
    Inability to concentrate
    Heart palpatations
    Nausea

Winter of 2002:

I began gaining weight (gained about 40 pounds between the summer of 2002 and spring of 2003 without a significant change in dieting habits.)
    A rash, about two and a half inches in diameter, was found on my left thigh. It didn't look like some of the pictures I've seen of lyme rashes. There was a dark pink circle within a lighter pink circle. No dark outline or anything like that. My mother also recieved such rashes, which made me think it could be environmental (my cat dragging in ticks on it's fur, then dropping them on the bed.)
    I lost some capacity to learn... Things just weren't registering in my brain as quickly as they used to, whether my activities included reading, learning a new computer program, having conversations, etc...
    My short term memory and recall began to decline
    I began having these weird tremors (underneath the skin) periodically, on different parts of my body.
    My brain was in a total fog... Like I couldn't think two seconds ahead of myself and my constant internal dialogue ceased (this stressed me out more than any of my symptoms.)
    My vocal and manual coordination went to hell.

And for a while, these symptoms simply persisted, with little change over a year and a half (although it feels like my mind continues to slip deeper into a fog.). I can explain myself well enough in writing, when I have time to think of what to say, but speaking is a completely different matter... I keep mumbling like a cretin when I speak aloud.

So my question to the board would be whether or not it's a waste of time to consult a homeopath/naturopath/wholistic doctor before seeing a nuerologist or lyme literate doctor. My condition seems to point toward lyme disease, and yet I lack so many of the other symptoms.

One thing to note, I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, although my free T4 and TSH are supposedly in the normal range now. I've been feeling at least a little bit better since I started on 75 mcg dosage of synthroid, 100 mg of b6, and 50 mg of zinc. So maybe visiting an endocrinologist and getting my t3 tested and supplemented (if neccesary) would help. Otherwise, I'm at a loss for what to do now that I have medical coverage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2004, 12:14 PM   #2
    Kime
    (female)

Kime HB User
    Re: Weird symptoms for about two years.

If I were in your shoes I would see a wholistic doctor first, especially if your insurance will cover it. Complementary Medicine is what some doctors call their approach which includes checking vitamin and amino acid levels in the body and correcting any imbalances plus checking for allergies and using diet, homeopathy, etc. to correct problems but they will also use regular drugs if they feel they will help but they try to use as few drugs as possible and only when really necessary. You can look up complementary medicine on the internet for more information, but the hard part is finding a good doctor and besides that some of the best doctors don't take insurance because the insurance companies tend to frown upon doctors who don't take the conventional approach to illness and refuse to pay if the doctor does something different from what all the other doctors are doing even if the patient already tried what all the other doctors are doing and it didn't help them and what the new doctor is doing is helping. A good complementary physician will be lyme literate.

Vitamin C and niacin help block stress, so you might want to add them (along with all the B vitamins) to your regime. Are you remembering your dreams? If you aren't, then you may need more B6. It seems weird, but B6 really does make you remember your dreams if you don't remember them, or it makes your dreams more vivid if you already remember them. The mental fog condition and memory loss can be a symptom of candida overgrowth, although reading your post you don't seem like a person with mental fog, but if you feel you have it you must have it or something like it. Have you ever in your life, even as a child, had a lot of antibiotics? This can lead to candida overgrowth.

It does sound like you might have had some kind of viral encephalitis but you have so much going on you need to have a knowlegable doctor run tests on you to find out what is really going on.

Old 09-16-2004, 08:10 PM   #3
    viver

viver HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lectus
    In fall of 2002, these symptoms started popping up (in roughly this order). Just a note... I had a bit of a mental breakdown in the summer, which caused me intense stress:
    Stiff neck
    A single flash of light crossing my field of vision from left to right (this happened once)
    Inability to concentrate
    Heart palpatations
    Nausea
    A Naturopath, Homeopath, Holistic Physician, Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner, Ayurvedic Medicine practitioner, etc. will usually approach your condition in a completely different way then a Neurologist. I know that I would almost see some sort of experienced Holistic practitioner (see above) before a Neurologist. I believe that a Holistic Medicine approach tends to be far more effective and with far fewer short-term and long-term side effects (on average). Holistic Medicine practitioners can vary tremendously in their experience, techniques used and capabilities. Of course, these opinions are based on my experience and working with others over the years.

Just out of couriousity, you didn't happen to have any major dental work several years ago or have been using diet drinks/foods/gum or MRPs/supplements for the last several years (or longer)? Also, I hope you have had a chance to incorporate some stress-relieving activities into you routines.

Good luck with whatever you try!

Viver

Old 09-17-2004, 12:25 PM   #4
    Lectus
    (male)

Lectus HB User

Nope, I've never had antibiotics in my life (that I can remember.) except for the penicilin(sp) after my dental surgury this past spring. How does one go about curing candida? And do patients with it ever have this weird smell in their nose, like mold? I get it throughout the day, sometimes without warning, but usually after I blow my nose very hard. More than likely it's allergies (which could be tied in with the mental fog), but I was just curious.

Viver: Nah, I haven't had any of that, and no major dental work (yet). I try to meditate, but eliminating my thoughts seems counter-productive toward my goal!

I'm not sure what I'll do right now. Most likely I'll see a naturopath if my insurance covers it. If not, I'll see an endocrinologist.

Old 09-17-2004, 01:22 PM   #5
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lectus
    Hiya all.

I've been around this board for quite a long time, testing the waters in various boards, trying to figure out (without medical coverage) what's wrong with me. I've had suspicions on diseases ranging from Lyme disease, to encephalitis, to whiplash, and have yet to find a completely fitting culprit to blame my sickness on. So at this point I'm thinking it must be more than one thing.

I was going to write up a little history, but decided I could get the idea across in a sort of outline, just as well.

Stiff neck
    Inability to concentrate
    Heart palpatations
    Nausea

Winter of 2002:

I began gaining weight (gained about 40 pounds between the summer of 2002 and spring of 2003 without a significant change in dieting habits.)
    A rash, about two and a half inches in diameter, was found on my left thigh. It didn't look like some of the pictures I've seen of lyme rashes. There was a dark pink circle within a lighter pink circle. No dark outline or anything like that. My mother also recieved such rashes, which made me think it could be environmental (my cat dragging in ticks on it's fur, then dropping them on the bed.)
    I lost some capacity to learn... Things just weren't registering in my brain as quickly as they used to, whether my activities included reading, learning a new computer program, having conversations, etc...
    My short term memory and recall began to decline
    I began having these weird tremors (underneath the skin) periodically, on different parts of my body.
    My brain was in a total fog... Like I couldn't think two seconds ahead of myself and my constant internal dialogue ceased (this stressed me out more than any of my symptoms.)
    My vocal and manual coordination went to hell.

And for a while, these symptoms simply persisted, with little change over a year and a half (although it feels like my mind continues to slip deeper into a fog.). I can explain myself well enough in writing, when I have time to think of what to say, but speaking is a completely different matter... I keep mumbling like a cretin when I speak aloud.

So my question to the board would be whether or not it's a waste of time to consult a homeopath/naturopath/wholistic doctor before seeing a nuerologist or lyme literate doctor. My condition seems to point toward lyme disease, and yet I lack so many of the other symptoms.

One thing to note, I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, although my free T4 and TSH are supposedly in the normal range now. I've been feeling at least a little bit better since I started on 75 mcg dosage of synthroid, 100 mg of b6, and 50 mg of zinc. So maybe visiting an endocrinologist and getting my t3 tested and supplemented (if neccesary) would help. Otherwise, I'm at a loss for what to do now that I have medical coverage.

You might venture over to the Lyme Disease Board for more definitive information.

Old 09-29-2004, 08:17 AM   #6
    imdunn

imdunn HB User

It sounds a LOT like Lyme Disease - my great aunt had it, and down to the rash, and memory problems, it's a good chance it's Lyme.

When I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, they thought it was lyme disease and tested me for it because my symptoms were almost identical to what you are describing, but I live in an area where ticks are few and far between and I had no rash.

A good rheumatologist or even primary care physician can clear up lyme disease pretty easily.

Old 10-02-2004, 07:25 AM   #7
    ncgirl88
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ncgirl88 HB User

Hi Lectus -

I have been having similiar problems since May this year.

It would be great if you could see an Integrative Physician but I will tell you it gets really expensive quickly.

Get to a Lyme literate physician quickly. The rash you describe sounds just like one that I saw in my Lyme book I have.

You did mention no major dental work but then said that you had dental surgery last Spring. I was reading an article this morning on dental amalgams and how if you have amalgams in your mouth and then have oral surgery that can release mercury into your system...he didn't go on to talk about what kind of dental surgery...but something to consider.

I had 5 fillings replace over the last two years. I had wanted to use a different kind of composite filling but my dentist convinced me to use the amalgam. I am upset at myself for not sticking by my guns. Anyway, whats done is done now and I am taking measures to hopefully minimize the release of mercury from those into my system.

I am still waiting on my 4th Lyme test to come back. Be sure you test for Lyme and tick borne coinfections. Go to the Lyme board and read posts...Ticker especially can give you tips on what tests to have run.

As well at this point you may have active Epstein Barr Virus that has reactivated if your immunity is down. So far that is the only blood test that has come back positive for me. EBV can cause a lot of your symptoms too.

It sure sounds like Lyme and/or tick borne coinfection to me. Right now I think your money is best spent finding a really good lyme doctor. There are issues with the accuracy of the blood tests. Supposedly Igenex Lab in CA is the best - I heard but don't know for sure that they do their blood tests by hand and that is why they are more accurate.

Good luck. Better health ahead for you...

ncgirl88

Old 10-02-2004, 05:26 PM   #8
    Anna N. Amos

Anna N. Amos HB User

You need to see someone. A guy I used to be in contact with had a wife with the same symptoms and she died. I cannot recall what it was she had -- something like Rosemary disease or something but she had the rash, the weight gain the pain in the neck...

Old 10-04-2004, 09:41 PM   #9
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

<<<In fall of 2002, these symptoms started popping up (in roughly this order). Just a note... I had a bit of a mental breakdown in the summer, which caused me intense stress:

Stiff neck
    Inability to concentrate
    Heart palpatations
    Nausea >>>

Just as an outside perspective. All of these symptoms can be caused by having a mental breakdown. Anxiety and stress causes all of these symptoms. The only thing that might be caused by something different is the single flash of light across your field of vision. I have had weird experiences like that with my vision right before I am going to get a migraine headache. I have even had them happen without having the pain of a headache after. I am not a trained medical doctor though. I personally think you should see a Neurologist. I do not agree with the holistic approach. My Aunt died of a very curable form of cancer that has a 99% cure rate when found at the stage she was at but she would not go to a regular doctor and went the holistic approach and died because of it. Practicle modern medicine is the only way to go if it could be something serious.

Old 10-06-2004, 09:43 AM   #10
    Lectus
    (male)

Lectus HB User

To those who suggested that I look into Lyme- One of my first impulses, when all of these symptoms began popping up, was to look into lyme disease and that's actually what led me to this board. The problem is that I'm still waiting on coverage, and I'm not sure if there are any LLMD's that will accept SSI coverage. Once I do, however, I'll definitely check for Lyme. That having been said, it's probable that Holistic stuff will actually cost me more and not be covered. So that probably isn't an option anyway.

I kind of ruled out any serious nuerological problems after having had these symptoms for more than two years... Everyone keeps telling me that if it was something serious that was going to kill me, I'd be dead already. But what do they know? Once I get coverage, I'll look for the opinion of a nuerologist (probably before I test for lyme). If (after undergoing tests) he says I have MS or lesions on the brain or spine (I doubt it, since I haven't had any numbness, pain or loss of motor control.), that'll be another red flag signifying lyme disease. If it comes back normal, then that still doesn't rule out lyme.

Thanks for the comments all. I appreciate the additional input of those people who are skeptical of holistic medicine. Its a good way to keep healthy and treat certain conditions safely, but there are still many diseases that it just isn't equipped to deal.

Last edited by Lectus; 10-06-2004 at 09:59 AM.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:45 PM   #11
    rhody
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

For those with unexplanable symptoms, you could check for metal toxicity. This is an area that few doctors seem to understand. Each of us react different to toxins.

I'm now cured of strange symptoms, that I had before I had my mercury-silver dental amalgams removed and replaced with less-toxic white fillings. (This is a very long story that spans decades.) The total load of metal poisoning can come from a variety of places.

That's just one idea. There could be many things affecting you....

You could also review herbs too. I used herbs for years to control my illness, until I linked it to my dental amalgams (mercury fillings) when my tooth broke. (Another long story).

I hope that helps.

Old 10-08-2004, 02:09 PM   #12
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You ought to learn more about your hypothyroidism and double-check to be sure your MD is treating it the right way. Ignorance about the condition abounds in the medical field, and MDs often believe that any hormone level within the "normal" range is good... I'm here to tell you, that is not true.

Get a copy of your latest TSH and FT4 results and bring them over to the Thyroid Disorders board. Someone there will be able to tell you if they really are "normal". Many of the symptoms you talk about, especially the more "mental" ones like brain fog and verbal communication, can be attributed to a low level of either (or both) free T4 and free T3. If you've never had FT3 measured, it might be low and could be the source of your problem.

BTW, the holistic medical community is usually more knowledgeable about thyroid disease than conventional medicine... including endocrinology.

Old 11-02-2004, 06:57 AM   #13
    LuvBug64

LuvBug64 HB User

Are you a male or female? If you are female, all the symptoms you described sound like premenopausal symptoms. Have you ever had your progesterone level checked through saliva? I have dealt with 100's of women who have these same symptoms and all they did was supplement with natural progesterone and the symptoms left. The thyroid and the hormones all work together. When one messes up the other messes up. I too had these same symptoms and I was checked for lyme disease and Lupus and other problems, but they couldn't find out what was wrong, so I took matters into my own hands, did my own research and followed Dr. John Lee's recommendations and I am now symptom free!

Old 11-03-2004, 09:12 AM   #14
    ncgirl88
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ncgirl88 HB User

Lectus,

I got my test results back from the LLMD - I tested positive for Lyme, Babesiosis, and Ehrlichiosis. While the lyme test was not definitive for IgM it was for IgG and the fact the test for the coinfections came back so positive it just substantiated that lyme is there too. The Babesiosis is a protozoan so must be treated with an antimalarial drug first before we go after the other two really proactively.

Just thought I would share my news. I have had really bad migraines since I was 16 but with the lyme they have gotten a lot more severe with Aura...which is what I think that flash of light you experienced across your field of vision was.

Don't give up. I hope you find relief soon.

-ncgirl88

Closed Thread