It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board

• Naturopathy/Natural Supplements/Orthomolecular Medicine for Bipolar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-05-2004, 05:46 PM   #1
    deprezzed

deprezzed HB User
    Question Naturopathy/Natural Supplements/Orthomolecular Medicine for Bipolar

Does anyone have any experience using natural supplements to treat their disorder? I am talking about under the guidance of a doctor or naturopathic and including having taken a urine sample to determine what vitamins, amino acids and minerals you might be deficient in. I know actress Margot Kidder (who has bipolar) successfully used it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2004, 08:55 AM   #2
    Kime
    (female)

Kime HB User
    Re: Naturopathy/Natural Supplements/Orthomolecular Medicine for Bipolar

The method you are referring to is called orthomolecular or sometimes complimentary medicine. We are using it for our son for schizophrenia, but it is equally useful for bipolar and other "mental" illnesses. (I use the quotes because I don't believe that these illnesses are in the mind, but are actually imbalances in the body that have mental symptoms.) He is almost completely back to normal but he is not completely cooperative because he still doesn't think that there is anything wrong with himself (he only thought he had something wrong with himself for about 3 weeks when he was having hallucinations, and ever since they went away he has thought he was completely normal because he can't perceive his delusions and negative symptoms) and he doesn't like having to take all the vitamin C he needs and so we have had a two steps forward, one step backwards road but we are pleased with the results so far. (Not everyone need as much vitamin C as our son, each person is different.) We have been working at it 5 months and now even most of his negative symptoms are gone, but he does have some days that are worse than others. We still have a little ways to go, but his life is normal now and he is able to make progress on his school work and personal computer projects. His anti-psychotic drugs were gradually reduced and now he has been off them for over 3 months, but not everyone who goes orthomolecular goes completely off drugs. However, most can at least lower the level of drugs to very low doses with minimal side effects. From what our doctor tells us most people have results in about 3 months, but each person is different, and our son hasn't been as cooperative as he could have been and that has made it take longer.

We are seeing an ortomolecular psychiatrist in the state of Washington. On the first visit he took a bunch of lab tests to show what vitamins/ minerals/ amino acids, etc that he was high and low on. Plus tests that show markers for things like candida. We found our doctor by calling the office of Dr. Abram Hoffer, who was one of the original doctors who developed the orthomolecular methods starting back in the 1950's. Dr. Hoffer is still in practice in Victoria, BC, and I found his phone number online so you should be able to find it, too, if you want to call him to ask for the number of a doctor in your area that follows orthomolecular methods.

Last edited by Kime; 10-07-2004 at 08:57 AM.

Closed Thread