It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board

• Chiropractic treatment for neck pain--is it wise?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2006, 03:40 PM   #1
    yanksgirl
    (female)

yanksgirl HB User
    Chiropractic treatment for neck pain--is it wise?

I'm having adjustments for my neck pain and wonder if anyone here has had this done and if it's helped? This is a chronic thing for me (several years) and it 'flares up' occasionally, but lately is doing so alot. I've had about 6 neck adjustments and the doctor is very 'gentle' but it seems the pain is not going away and in fact I'm in a very painful episode right now. I have bone spurs and have had neck injections and even gone for several Physical therapy sessions and all this helps but it always returns. It does go away but I have to be careful about lifting things and how I sleep etc. The neck pain ranges on a scale of 3 to 8 at various times. Thank God it's not daily. Anyone have any comments or suggestions? Thanks
    yanksgirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
    greensky
    (male)

greensky HB User
    Re: Chiropractic treatment for neck pain--is it wise?

I tried going to a Chiropractor for back pain. In the beginning it would really help but only for a short period of time, and then it would get worse. The Chiropractor seemed very confident that this was OK and that we should just continue the treatments. After many treatments I stopped as I was just getting worse. On the other hand I know people who swear by it.

I think that if it’s going to help it will quite quickly, and just going on for many treatments isn’t a good idea. Based on my experience and friends I think the chances it will help a chronic condition are so so and it’s probable better with acute conditions.

I normaly recommend giving it a try, but if after approximately 10 treatments you don’t feel improved then stop.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:05 AM   #3
    jennck35
    (female)

jennck35 HB User

I also suffer from neck pain and recently started seeing a chiropractor. After X-rays were taken, he found that the source of my pain is due to loss of curvature in the neck. I too was nervous to begin treatment and have adjustments done to my neck. There are some studies and statistics by the medical community that try to link strokes to cervical adjustments. But my chiropractor has assured me that those instances are extremely rare and I'd have more of a chance of being struck by a meteor or lightnening than having a stroke from having my neck cracked. After alot of research I decided to keep on going with the treatment.
    I'd have to say that the treatments I have had so far have helped me, I've noticed my pain has started easing up, and I understand that chiropractic care is not a "quick fix". It's something that will take some time. For me, it seems to be the better choice rather than constantly being on drugs that only mask the pain.
    Just make sure that the chiroprator you are seeing is credible and uses the safest and gentlest methods. The place I go to is purely referral-based. They do not advertise and all of their business is recommended by others that have been treated there.
    I hope this helps.

Old 01-28-2006, 04:34 PM   #4
    wendy68
    Inactive
    (female)

wendy68 HB User

be very careful of chiroprators!!!! I fell down a frlight of steps when i was 23 and naturaly i thought to go to a chiroprator. he did not even xray me he just started to try to crack me..well it wouldnt carck and he keep trying to make it crack. needless to say i ended up in th ER. with a herniated disk in L- L-5 and had surgery beware!!!!the doc told me he should of never touched me without a xray

Old 02-07-2006, 10:00 AM   #5
    Beachingout
    (female)

Beachingout HB User
    Chiropractic treatment for neck pain--is it wise?

Chosing chiropractors are just like chosing doctors, some are good, some are quacks. I would only go to one I know is recommended by people. My husband has major disc degeneration in the neck and lower back. He's been seeing a chropractor for 16 years now. Up til now it's been the only thing keeping him from getting surgery and losing his business--servicing pools and repairing equipment. However, his back has gotten worse in the past year--we have the MRI comparison--that we are seeking options from spine doctors. We've seen one via the HMO, and I didn't like what he said. So we're going to see another spine doctor that has a good reputation. If he says the same thing--doesn't want to do anything until my husband can't walk anymore, we may consider lastest technology--something about a spinal decompression machine treatments. His chiropractor doesn't do it, but he knows someone who does that he can recommend. The decompression machine treatments are very expensive and not covered by insurance, but we may not have any other alternative.

I never really believed in chiropractors until slightly over a year ago. I was having some back pain, went in to see my husband's. He took x-rays and determined my hips were slightly out of alignment. After seeing him for a month (3 times the first week, 2 times the second week, 1 week off, and 2 more times), I was better. I've only had to see him on one more occassion, 5 months ago, for 3 treatments--my hips got out of alignment again.

If you go in to see a chiropractor for the first time and he/she doesn't take x-rays, I would turn around and go back from where I came.

Closed Thread