It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board

• HELP, I need to stop Celebrex!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
    Hacamila
    (female)

Hacamila HB User
    HELP, I need to stop Celebrex!

I suffer from fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis and am currently taking Celebrex. It doesn't seem to help much and I would like to find an alternative treatment. Celebrex causes my stomach to bloat and makes me miserable!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might help with the pain and inflammation?

Thanks!
    Mila

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
    michelle95
    (female)

michelle95 HB User
    Re: HELP, I need to stop Celebrex!

I know people that take glucosamine for joint pain and swear by it.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:01 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You might try Mobic. They switched me to it when Vioxx went off the market. I can't take Celebrex because I'm allergic to sulfa drugs. Mobic is not a Cox 2 inhibitor. It also will take several days to get up to speed in your system. You might also try Aleve...but I imagine you've tried the OTC meds at this point.

Old 02-06-2006, 08:19 AM   #4
    Hacamila
    (female)

Hacamila HB User

Titchou, does Mobic have the same side-effects as Celebrex? I took Vioxx also, and for me it was a wonder drug! Nothing has worked since.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:26 PM   #5
    Sayer Ji
    Inactive
    (male)

Sayer Ji HB User

The best natural alternative I have found to the NSAIDs and Cox2 inhibitors is a herbal supplement by New Chapter called "Zyflamend." It is composed of spices and herbs with great safety records, and great efficacy in modulating the inflammatory response. It has been through clinical trials at Columbia University, and was found not only to inhibit inflammation, but to cause apoptosis in cancer cells. Tumeric, ginger, green tea, and several other herbs, is all that is contained. Amazing. I'd look into it.

Old 02-11-2006, 06:08 AM   #6
    deepsouth
    Inactive
    (female)

deepsouth HB User

Turmeric and ginger are both strong anti-inflamatories. There are several websites where you can buy them in bulk for about $10 or less a pound. You can mix the powder with juice...about a teaspoon of each two or three times a day. MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) is a safe supplement which some people swear by. The actor James Coburn credited it with turning his life around from being debilitated by arthritis. You might also want to try applying DMSO (also available online) directly to the joints affected by the arthritis. Good luck.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:30 AM   #7
    BlessingsGalore

BlessingsGalore HB User
    Lightbulb Re: HELP, I need to stop Celebrex!

If you don't ever do anything else I recommend, try this:

TRAUMEEL. A google search will lead you.

It has helped me with so many problems and pain from Fibro, Lupus, and Arthritis.

If I could only have one med on an island with all my illnesses, I'd take this ONE !

Old 03-31-2006, 10:45 AM   #8
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Quote:
    I suffer from fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis and am currently taking Celebrex. It doesn't seem to help much and I would like to find an alternative treatment.
    Hi Mila,

I also have fibro & osteoarthritis, as well as an autoimmune disease. Miserable combo. I can't take oral NSAIDs (Ibuprofen, etc.) due to gut grief. Here are a few things I've found that help, can't live without them:

1) Get regular & thorough thyroid evals w/lab tests free T3, free T4, TSH & thyroid antibodies, all interpreted according to the most recent (2002) Am. Assoc. of Clinical Endocrinology standards. Thyroid issues are HUGE in fibroM. The majority of docs just screen TSH & eval by old standards. I swear even my osteo-knees are better when my thyroid hormone is optimized.

2) EPA fish oil. The one supplement I can't ever give up. I need one gram per day of the EPA fraction, total (I split-dose). Just any old grocery store fish oil does not do the job. I prefer to take brands like Nordic Naturals (my fave) or Carlson's, which are deodorized, flavored, & tested for impurities.

3) Magnesium & malic acid -- good for the fibroM.

4) OTC topical -- I like Nature's Plus Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM Ultra-Rx Joint Cream. Lotsa good stuff, it really helps fast for mild to mod. osteo pain. I prefer it to capsaicin & menthol creams.

5) My ace-in-the-hole rescue med is an Rx compounded topical, Ketoprofen in DMSO. This is a topical NSAID, does not cause gut grief (unless you rub it on your gut; don't do that ) which I use, just a tiny amt on the affected area if I absolutely am stuck or can't sleep due to pain. It works fast.

Before I had this med, I would occasionally go up a flight of stairs & not be able to get down due to my knee problem. It's humiliating to have to be carried. Now the tube of Keto goes with me instead. Relief is dependable w/in only a few minutes.

6) Some of us find that certain foods affect our fibro. For me, it's sugar, too much high polyunsat veg oil (I'm OK w/olive oil), black tea, and goitrogenic foods. But it's worth keeping a food diary or even making casual observations about what you had a day or two ... in some cases, 20 min., before a flare hit. Everyone is a little diff w/food triggers, and it may not be an issue at all for some w/fibro.

Best wishes.

Old 04-15-2006, 07:45 AM   #9
    Bob2
    (male)

Bob2 HB User

I see the other posts say turmeric is a good anti-inflammatory. One thing to be sure of, if you try it is that it needs to be standardized to contain 95% curcumin to be the most effective. I have some ostioarthritis in my knees and used to limp quite often. I have been taking turmeric, standardized to 95% curcumin for over three years and it has been very effective for me. What ever produce you get, you need to take enough to get 1200 miligrams of curcumin per day. If you can't afford the standardized product, buy a pound of the deepest yellow orange turmeric you can find in asian markets. Buy one ounce of finely ground black pepper. Mix them together thoroughly and use that. You could buy empty capsules from health food stores and put it in the capsules, as much as you can pack into each one. A time consuming thing to do, but worth it, unless you really like the taste of turmeric. Og course, you could always sprinkle it on your food. If you like curry, turmeric is one of the primary ingrediants in it.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:06 PM   #10
    BlessingsGalore

BlessingsGalore HB User

I take Tumeric straight out of the spice can and chase it with water when I get desperate. Will have to try the capsules.

You ever tried TRAUMEEL..............do a google search if interested........it's the most awesome anti-flammatory I've ever taken with NO SIDE AFFECTS.

Closed Thread