It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board

• Wild caught Salmon and farm raised Salmon

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
    tobefree
    (male)

tobefree HB User
    Exclamation Wild caught Salmon and farm raised Salmon

I usually eat farm raised salmon but last night I ate wild caught salmon and I felt like a was really in a deep sleep I even had a dream a good dream. Most of the time I find it hard to get a good night's sleep. Can anyone in here tell me the difference between farm raised and salmon caught in the wild.
    Thanksconfused:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2007, 10:54 PM   #2
    thebluedog
    (male)

thebluedog HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Wild caught Salmon and farm raised Salmon

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tobefree View Post
    I usually eat farm raised salmon but last night I ate wild caught salmon and I felt like a was really in a deep sleep I even had a dream a good dream. Most of the time I find it hard to get a good night's sleep. Can anyone in here tell me the difference between farm raised and salmon caught in the wild.
    Thanksconfused:
    Wild salmon is always the better option over farm raised salmon. Wild salmon has all the beneficial omega 3's b/c they feed from the ocean. Omega 3's help with brain function as well as many other health benefits. It seems pointless to eat farm raised salmon since their diet is not from their natural habitat. Also, the orange/red color has to be added to farm raised salmon so that they can simulate the natural color of ocean salmon.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:15 AM   #3
    music12
    Inactive
    (female)

music12 HB User
    Re: Wild caught Salmon and farm raised Salmon

I agree. I don't eat farm-raised anything!

Old 01-15-2007, 12:47 PM   #4
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

It' super hard to find wild salmon, I found some at Trader Joes and boy was it expensive. Perhaps well worth it however.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
    music12
    Inactive
    (female)

music12 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jennita View Post
    It' super hard to find wild salmon, I found some at Trader Joes and boy was it expensive. Perhaps well worth it however.
    Do you live anywhere near a Whole Foods? They have it for sure.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
    tobefree
    (male)

tobefree HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jennita View Post
    Harris Teeter has wild salmon and also Wal-mart super stores has wild caught salmon also.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:20 AM   #7
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Thanks guys for the ideas, I only have a Trader Joe's nearby and it is expensive but I imagine it is expensive everywhere?

Walmart, ugh no, that chain is ruining the country IMHO so I won't shop there. Don't have one very close even if I would.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:01 PM   #8
    Mike In NY
    Inactive
    (male)

Mike In NY HB User

I've been eating farm raised Salmon for years but not any more. I read an article about farm raised and it was disturbing. If they didn't add the coloring it would be grayish (YUK). In our neighborhood (poor to middle class) its all you find at $5.99 lb. A local supermaket stopped selling Wild salmon since no one would buy it at $14.99 lb. I don't think the locals here understand what they're purchasing for $5.99. I certainly wouldn't order it at any of our local restaurants knowing that it's most likely the one that's farm raised. One thing that I did learn from the article is the importance of Krill Oil which I'm now using every day. This is one very powerful antioxidant with no fishy after taste and far more potent than fish oil.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:38 AM   #9
    chelsie5
    (female)

chelsie5 HB User

I agree to stay away from farm salmon, I heared that they add hormones to make them grow faster...................I eat wild salmon twice a week........

Old 01-22-2007, 02:33 PM   #10
    Infinitum
    Veteran
    (female)

Infinitum HB User

Farm-raised fish YUCK WILD fish YUM!!! You can definitely taste the difference. ANY farm-rasied fish has that FISHY smell and ANY wild caught fish doesn't. Just take the time to notice it next time---you'll be shocked.

The going rate for WILD Caught Salmon is about 13.99 to 21.99 a pound----researching 4 local stores here in my area ranging from Kroger, Randall's, Central Market and Whole Foods.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:35 PM   #11
    Infinitum
    Veteran
    (female)

Infinitum HB User

Farm-raised fish YUCK WILD fish YUM!!! You can definitely taste the difference. ANY farm-rasied fish has that FISHY smell and ANY wild caught fish doesn't. Just take the time to notice it next time---you'll be shocked.

The going rate for WILD Caught Salmon is about 13.99 to 21.99 a pound----researching 4 local stores here in my area ranging from Kroger, Randall's, Central Market and Whole Foods.

If I can't buy WILD Caught salmon (due to off seasons), I eat it from the can----just read the label in fine print or go to the company's website---they will tell you if their salmon is wild caught or farm riased. I like Bumblee Bee the best. Even their Tuna in the packages is wild caught from Thialand

Old 01-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #12
    Darwin58
    (male)

Darwin58 HB User

Well,

If you look at the EFA's in wild salmon you will find that veggie fed hormone free beef has more EFA's than wild salmon.

Not to devalue eating wild fish, I love it too, but if I can't afford or can't find good wild fish I will often eat the much less expensive veggie fed hormone free beef.

I agree though, if you are going to eat meat it is important that it comes from a good place. No hormones/veggie fed/wild/etc is really important.

Ciao,

Cheers!

Closed Thread