It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board

• Need alternative for blood pressure med

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2007, 05:47 AM   #1
    Bethybug
    (female)

Bethybug HB User
    Need alternative for blood pressure med

I have quit taking my blood pressure meds several times and have ended up in the emergency room and felt awful. I cannot tolerate the medication and only take hyzaar and Kdur at this time. What can I do instead of these meds? I am salt sensative and retain fluid easily.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2007, 06:00 AM   #2
    Mike In NY
    Inactive
    (male)

Mike In NY HB User
    Re: Need alternative for blood pressure med

You can try Dr. Venessa's High Blood Pressure Support which has 16 ingredients including CQ10, hawthorne, dandelion, garlic. All 16 ingredients are known to help control high blood pressure. Along with this look for 100mg of C12 Peptide. If your local health store doesn't have these two products they can order it. Include in your daily diet bananas and orange juice both high in potasium and maintain a low fat diet. Take apple cider vinegar each day. Get out and walk a few miles every day. Good Luck.

Last edited by Mike In NY; 04-05-2007 at 06:04 AM.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
    rhody
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

I would say that "Mike In NY" is right in line with my thinking too. With exercise, proper diet, and herbs for support...that's the right way to start. Also note that a person's blood pressure can be much higher at the doctor's office in the middle of the day (white coat syndrome). Also the systolic reading can be much higher with the first reading because of anxiety. Do you take your blood pressure at home too to check? And a person should take it multiple times and then calculate an average reading...and also follow proper procedures for doing this.

A lot of medical professionals do not take these blood pressure readings properly, for example when they take the readings while the patient's legs are dangling over the edge of the bed or table. A lot of times they can cause you to talk to them (by asking you questions) while they are taking your blood pressure, and that can cause the blood pressure to temporarily spike.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:35 AM   #4
    Bethybug
    (female)

Bethybug HB User

Thank you both for your answers. I did go back to the doctor and my pressure was still up. I am thinking of taking CARDIO cocktail for awhile and the herbal blood pressure pills and get it low enough and then go off the medication unless I have more side effects. He switched my med to Lotensin now. I hate taking ANY medication!

Old 04-10-2007, 08:01 PM   #5
    rhody
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Also, be careful about mixing herbal preparations with orthodox medications. It's rare, but in some cases, there could be complications. You might want to discuss this with your doctor first, even though your doctor may not understand the use for these herbs. So as rule, I just don't mix the two myself. Actually now, it's extremely rare that I take any orthodox medication. Even when my doctor suggests it...for me to take some prescription drugs...so far, I've always found a natural way to cure it.

My study of herbs many years ago, taught me to change to a healthy diet while taking these herbs. So you might want to read up on that too. When taking the natural course for healthy living, I've found it's best to do all the good things at the same time...good diet, low stress, exercise, and herbs (such as raw garlic and green tea for example).

Old 04-11-2007, 06:04 AM   #6
    Trixibel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Trixibel HB User

Mike in NY what does apple cider vinegar do for blood pressure?

I read in a very old book called 'Mental and Elemental Nutrition' by Carl Pfeiffer and someone else that high blood pressure can be a symptom of copper overload in your body. Supplementing zinc helps take copper out of the body. Worth a thought. You may want to do some reading. Excess copper has been linked to all sorts of problems.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:48 AM   #7
    Bethybug
    (female)

Bethybug HB User

I appreciate everyone's comments. I went to the cardiologist again yesterday. I would not go to the doctors at all but I do not want to end up in the hospital again. I asked about taking herbal medicine....they looked at me like "are you kidding?" I would love to find a holistic health doctor or one that is agreeable to natural remedies in my area. (Chattanooga area) but I do not know of one. Any more suggestions would be appreciated. I think I am going to start the CARDIO cocktail while on bp meds but wait until my pressure is under control before switching to herbal bp stuff.....I am too scared to go off of it yet.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #8
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User
    Smile Re: Need alternative for blood pressure med

I have a friend who is a Certified Physician Assitant and he told me in no undertain terms that he could lose his license were he to give the thumbs up to Any herb or supplement. That being said, I've heard that celery seed capsules and Hawthorn berry caps lower blood pressure. They're very cheap, too.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #9
    rhody
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I don't think they can approve something that hasn't been proven scientifically. I don't quite completely understand it, but a lot of foods and herbs aren't given a lot of attention in the medical community. So if they don't research it, and study it...then it will never get approved. Some contend it's because there's no money in researching it, because they can't sell foods or herbs at the same expensive price as a drug, once they discover that it does help.

But many of us know that eating better and exercising can definitely help.

Last edited by rhody; 04-12-2007 at 06:34 PM.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:23 AM   #10
    Trixibel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Trixibel HB User

I guess your safest option is to stay on your meds. But hawthorn is very good for the heart in general. apparently acts as a vasodilator

Old 04-13-2007, 05:57 AM   #11
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhody View Post
    I don't think they can approve something that hasn't been proven scientifically. I don't quite completely understand it, but a lot of foods and herbs aren't given a lot of attention in the medical community. So if they don't research it, and study it...then it will never get approved. Some contend it's because there's no money in researching it, because they can't sell foods or herbs at the same expensive price as a drug, once they discover that it does help.

But many of us know that eating better and exercising can definitely help.

The Only attention herbs get in the medical community "AMA" is to try and figure out how to get them BANNED or at least be made available Only by prescription so they can get their money out of the alternative meds industry. They want their cut! And you're correct: there's NO money for Them in research since , so far, they can't Prescribe herbal treatments. They really wish alternative medicine would just go away. But it won't because , unlike traditional medicine, herbs have been used for THOUSANDS of years!! And unlike drugs, herbs are rarely known to have killed people unless taken in excess. If I'm in a car wreck, I don't want an herb; I want surgery and doctors. Otherwise, I stick to herbs and supplements. Daily

The Following User Says Thank You to Sustasha For This Useful Post:
    Kittekat (04-27-2011)
    Old 04-15-2007, 05:42 AM   #12
    Graywren
    (female)

Graywren HB User

I think you should work with your doctor to find a blood pressure regimen that you can live with. After it has stabilized for a while then try small amounts of alternative remedies to see if that will lower it. High blood pressure is too serious a matter to go out on a limb with. Graywren

Old 04-17-2007, 10:33 PM   #13
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Some good news....the latest is that dark chocolate is not only good for arteries but can lower blood pressure as much as most meds do. The catch is, it must be at least 65% cocoa, which isn't as sweet as the majority of sugar-filled chocolate bars out there which contain very little cocoa. I've actually tried the 85%, it's not great but not incredibly bad...65% is definately still yummy.

Of course, it should be in moderation(lets not go nuts here, it has calories)

But of course, if one does not incorporate healthy lifestyle also with any herb, oil,food, etc. then it might be a waste of time and money.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:40 AM   #14
    robbyp7711
    Inactive
    (male)

robbyp7711 HB User

CELERY - about 8 ribs per day.

EGGPLANT - soak in water overnight and then eat.

These are amazing and simple things to do that can lower BP dramatically.

Water as well. working with half your body weight in ounces per day can do wonders. There is a book called "your body's many cries for water" the same author wrote a book called "you're not sick you're thirsty" You can look these up on the net.

Too tired. Wish I could write more.

God Bless.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:32 PM   #15
    Bethybug
    (female)

Bethybug HB User

Well, I am trying to get off my Lotensin again. Just had GB surgery and think that is one reason my BP was up. Also, I am cutting WAY down on salt. It does make my BP go up in about 5 minutes when I eat something salty. I did stay of my meds for awhile and ended up in ER again with a stress test done...close to early CHF.....needed a diuretic basically. I SO do NOT want to be on any meds I am so frustrated. I am losing weight and exercising, trying to eat right....etc etc. I tried Cardio cocktail for a month...very expensive...could not tell any difference. I will get hawthorne and celery seed next if I can stay off this med....afraid to mix them. Any other suggestions?

Closed Thread